Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 04:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331802 Posts in 13585 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Divisive Movies.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Divisive Movies.  (Read 3988 times)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:11 AM »

Paranormal Activity. A lot of people seem to dislike this franchise and the whole "found footage" sub-genre, but me and my bf love these movies, if for nothing else it gives us a reason to turns the lights off, cuddle up, and enjoy being spooked together. Granted the movies are not spectacular and are not scary if you think about them, but if you want to be scared and switch your brain off, I find them to be quite entertaining.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 01:14:29 AM »

I watched Paranormal 1 on a chilly autumn night in a drafty 3rd floor apartment in a 100+ year old building stoned out of my mind
Yoda =
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »

I watched Paranormal 1 on a chilly autumn night in a drafty 3rd floor apartment in a 100+ year old building stoned out of my mind
Yoda =

Wuss...

Haha! I kid! THAT SOUNDS TERRIFYING O_O

Just Greg, thanks.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

Yoda =

Wuss...

Haha! I kid! THAT SOUNDS TERRIFYING O_O

I agree. I was unsettled for a couple of nights after watching it. The second two didn't really create the same effect, but they were entertaining in their own way. Some nice jump scares in those movies.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 04:02:53 AM »

Will Ferrel movies. I have disliked every one I have seen. The most divisive seem to be Elf and Anchorman. I thought both were awful and unfunny. It seems most people think otherwise. Baffling.
I have yet to see Stranger Than Fiction and The Other Guys. Both I've heard are good even for peopel who don't like Will Ferrel. We'll see.

I hate Will Ferrell, too. He was funny in the first movie he did, and then he kept playing that character over and over and over and over and over and over again. And then he cloned himself and created John C. Reilly, who played the same character from Will Ferrell's first movie over and over and over and over and over and over again. Until Dr. Stephen Brule, of course.

I've only seen Paranormal Activitiy 3, and in all honesty I enjoyed it. It was a refreshing kind of movie to watch.

Toy Story 1-3 are all fantastic, I think. I also loved Dumb and Dumber. Though I agree that Jim Carrey is really at his finest when his character isn't a goober. I think his serious roles are pretty fantastic.
My favorite 'divisive movie' is Garden State. 50% of my friends hated it when I made then watch it, the other half thought it was great. It all comes down to whether or not you like deadpan humor and last year's indie hit songs.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:06:16 AM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20:59 AM »

Apparently one of my absolute top 10 favorite movies had mixed reception.
(Scrooged)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1dPU8uXiE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FgtVXFRyTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprLI38JwQ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmAa1cYZK4

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »

Touching on a few mentioned:

Forrest Gump: Not a big fan myself either. It's a decent movie, but it is not a masterpiece or a classic like people say it is.
Dumb & Dumber: Love this movie, but I watched it like 100 times when I was growing up and know pretty much every line.
Will Ferrell Films: Hate most of them. Can't stand him. The Other Guys is generally ok, but nothing I would recommend. Didn't like Anchorman.
Matrix Films: The first is amazing, the second one is decent, the third is where it lost its way.

Now for a film I think could go into the divisive category:

Prometheus: Such a mixed reception for this, but I absolutely was enthralled by it. One of the best movies last year if you ask me, but I've talked to other who call it garbage just because they were expecting it to be an Alien prequel when it is not. It has ties sort of to that series, but it's a completely different story. I have found others who love it as much as me too.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

I believe this says all one needs to say about my thoughts on Prometheus.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

I believe this says all one needs to say about my thoughts on Prometheus.

I stopped watching after about a minute because they are complaining about stuff that was explained in the movie. Most people who hate this movie did not pay attention to what was on screen and instead complain because its not the movie they wanted. I'm not saying that was you, but these people clearly did not pay attention.

This video is kinda long, but explains most of what people complain about (even though they could have just paid attention)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEx7pdp2-Q
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:30:00 AM by Blace » Logged

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »

Man, Twin Perfect are obnoxious unfunny assholes. Any time I feel like I kind of agree with them about something it feels awful, because I'm basically agreeing with the dregs of humanity.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »

I disagree completely, that movie was full of complete plausibility issues. I wanted to love it, but it couldn't get basic non-sci-fi things right.

Code:
Why would someone build a medical machine that can't operate on women? Why would they then give that machine to a woman, who is sort of important since A) she's related to Weyland and B) she's the commander of the ship? Why did no one care that Weyland was alive? Why did no one care when he died? Why didn't anyone run to the left instead of straight when escaping from the spinny death ship. Why did the biologist who likely had years of experience assume it was safe to remove his helmet on an alien planet solely because "well I guess there's oxygen? The fact is, aside from tons of unexplained loose ends (which I can appreciate, sure, they don't have to answer everything), it fails the "are these characters believable and is this at all plausible within the context of the world that has been set up?"

Also, I really don't think you're being fair. You've basically said "if you don't like the movie you either don't get it or you're mad it wasn't an Alien prequel (even though it was, though again, that wasn't my problem with it)." Why can't I dislike the movie because it was full of plausibility (within its own context) issues? I've seen that Prometheus Explained video, and it does not explain the complete lack of believability OR most of the actual issues people take with the movie. In terms of how the characters behave, the movie is utterly unbelievable. If you want to talk some sci-fi that doesn't make things obvious but still makes sense in its own context?

Blade Runner.

EDIT:

I actually meant to say Sunshine, not Blade Runner. Although Blade Runner is a great example, too.

EDIT 2: And I say all of this as a person who thought the movie was mildly enjoyable-- at least until I started thinking about it. Kind of like the ME3 ending, but I won't get into that ^^.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:41:17 PM by Taelus » Logged

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:37:06 PM »

I would have been better equipped to handle these questions right after I saw the movie, but I've only seen it once and it was awhile ago so I don't remember everything. Unfortunately, I'll have to give this one to you haha. I didn't have any issues with plausibility when watching it though, for what it's worth.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »

It's not that I thought it was outright bad-- I'll take AAA-budget scifi whenever I can get it. I enjoyed the plot, and could have swallowed some of the other plot-related stuff if I could have gotten behind the characters a bit more. Still, it did well, so I'm hopeful in regards to a sequel.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »

It's not that I thought it was outright bad-- I'll take AAA-budget scifi whenever I can get it. I enjoyed the plot, and could have swallowed some of the other plot-related stuff if I could have gotten behind the characters a bit more. Still, it did well, so I'm hopeful in regards to a sequel.

From what I have read, the movie made quite a profit worldwide and Ridley Scott and his co-writers have plenty of throughts for a sequel, so we might get one in the next 2-3 years I would think. I certainly hope so.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 03:14:17 AM »

I can acknowledge the Matrix was ground breaking for its time but that "You can't die because I love you" bit at the end turned that movie into another putrid piece of Hollywood tripe.

The Matrix is a piece of shit.

I finally watched Toy Story 1 & 2 for the first time last week. They're pretty good.

I like both Elf and Anchorman.

Prometheus was a wasted opportunity.

I don't really like any of the found footage movies - Cloverfield etc. The tropes are always the same in every movie. Every guy who does the filming always ends up being a douche and filming people when they don't want to be. It gets repetitive.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:25:15 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: