Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 08:11:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327210 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of the Abyss
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Tales of the Abyss  (Read 9861 times)
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 11:52:25 AM »

yea we have PAL here i guess it because it faster to bring games from europe than usa whoever at least sony didnt forgot us. nintendo never bring his console to here which is really unfair since we have huge nintendo fanbase yes the life is hard
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 02:50:24 PM »

I have a dilemma. I've been playing Tales of Legendia the last weeks, and i'm done with the main quest. I did not like the main quest particulary much, but people seem to think that the character quests are much better. But after reading the reviews of TotA i'm really eager to play that instead. I have tried to play the character quest in ToL, but every time i start i just feel like "lets get this over with so i can play TotA"(but well, i don't get it over with, i stop after 10 mins to go check out TotA screenshots and reviews :) ). Anyone that have played both games, tell me what to do :)

And, to my second question (that probably should need it's own thread, but i'll give it a try here). Tales-lovers out there, what other (ps2-psx) rpgs do you like?
Albedo_2k5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »

MartinMM, there is no need to rush. Just take your ToL and complete the character quest (which is part of the basic package). While ToA is very similar to Symphonia, ToL is still a pretty solid title. I suggest you to continue playing.

As for the RPGs I like..let see, Grandia, Star Ocean, Lunar, Dragon Quest, Parasite Eve, Suikoden, FF Tactics, Xenogears, Xenosaga, and many more. :)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 07:38:57 PM »

The tales of legendia character quests are cool for the actual character story...but the gameplay is TERRIBLE. For one thing all it is is going back through the old dungeons, but what REALLY makes it bad is the battles. The enemies just have too many damn HPs for a action rpg. This doesn't make the random encounters hard...it makes them annoying.

Even using holy bottles it just frustrated me playing the game. If you don't want to play it, don't.(Or just do Will's..I liked his story a bit more)
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 08:57:05 AM »

i haven't played Symphonia (don't own a gamecube :( ) But have played the psx tales and tales of phantasia and i love them. The problem i have with Legendia is exactly what Raze says. The battles. I find most battle skills to be completly worthless and just button-mash through every battle. This is not the case in the older tales games and i hope it's not the case in TotA. But well i guess i'll give Legendia a few more hours to see if the good story can outweigh the boring battles (and the extreme amount of random encounters even for a tales game). Although i don't really care much about RPG-stories, or, i do but i think most stories are about equally good so that's not the thing that separates a good rpg from a bad rpg in my opinion.

I always liked the Tales and Star Ocean games because of the good gameplay, Legendia let me down on that part. I will look at your advice Albedo to see if i can find another series with equally good gameplay as the Tales and Star Ocean games.
Barnacle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 11:16:08 PM »

I am a Tales series aficionado.  It may not have storylines as dramatic or complicated as my other favorites,  Suikoden, Xenosaga, Kingdom Hearts, Shadow Hearts, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean or a principal FF to name a few, but its addictive and fun battle systems, hefty inventory and skills, and numerous side quests more than make up for its charm.

Regarding Tales of Legendia, I thought it was a decent RPG and I liked it, but the battle system could have used more variety.  Tales of the Abyss is much better in all respects, story- and battle-wise in particular, and one of the longest RPGs, too.  Even without spending time on side quests, I’m already past 50 hours of play and the end seems to be not in sight yet.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 12:03:34 PM »

I haven't yet played TotA, but I did play ToL.  I fall into the category of people who liked the character quests better than the main quest.  Yes, the battle system wasn't that great but I did like the character development of the party members.  The character quests will take you the same length of time as the main story.  So be prepared to devote some time to it.  Hopefully time will fly faster since it is the better half IMO.  

As for RPGs I like, I'm a big fan of the MegaTen games (especially DDS and Persona 2).  I rather like urban settings.  I also like (in no particular order)  Xenogears,  Xenosaga I and III,  VP1,  Growlanser Generations,  Dark Cloud 2 (my favorite on the PS2), Shadow Hearts Covenant, KH I and II, Grandia I and II, and a few of the Wild Arms games (not 3).  I also liked Legend of Mana and the Legend of Legaia games yet most people seem to hate them.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Barnacle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 11:13:31 PM »

Me a big fan of the rather exotic, unorthodox, and intriguing MegaTen games too. Stories based on the occult, with a gloomy and mature atmosphere, or with a rebellious take on religion always interest me.  I count Persona 2, Nocturne, and Digital Devil Saga as among my favorites.  The upcoming Persona, of course, will not escape my grasp and undoubtedly, it will share their fate.

I’ve only played the second Legend of Legaia, and I agree that it was a good game.  Pity it didn’t get the attention it deserved.  Wild Arms 3 was all right to me; it had content, and I especially liked the Millenium Puzzles.  And yeah, Dark Cloud 2 was something; it was quite a looker and it had quality written all over.  I also liked that game, as well as the first one.  Hopefully, Level 5 will be making new games in the series in the next-generation consoles (and hopefully, they would include an item collection, and a Load option in the menu, which would really be great enhancements considering the variety and number of items, and the weapons build-up; those enhancements would be great for all RPGs, btw).

Further on to Tales, incidentally, I wish Namco would bring back the summons and fringe system from  Tales of Destiny 2 in future games.  That was fun.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006, 05:58:06 PM »

I picked Tales Of The Abyss up last night. My first foray into the Tales series was Tales Of Destiny for the PS1 and I loved it. So much so that I bought Tales Of Symphonia for the GameCube as soon as it came out. playing TOS at first... I hated it. I don't know why. It just seemed so cliche and frigging boring even after 5 hours or so. I didn't play it again for about a year until some people on a music board I used to go to told me I should have never put it down after a few hours. I started from the beginning again and after the intro and tutorial and first predictable few dungeons, I ended up liking it, then loving it. I look back on it now as one of the best RPG experiences I've ever had. I think the game took me 70 or 80 hours to beat, and honestly, it seemed like it was only 10 hours long. it was that good. Tales Of The Abyss, though I've only played a few hours into it so far, seems to expand and fine-tune every aspect of TOS. I frigging LOVE the artstyle of TOS, and TOTA beats that hands down. Right in the beginning as you follow that river... man, that's sweet. I think I will actually a day off work next week and add it onto my New Years vacation, just to sit and play this game for 3 or 4 days straight.

Also, what's the deal with Tales Of Legendia? I remember back when it came out, everyone said to stay away from it, and I did. I never bought it, but I'm sure I read up on it and saw screenshots and it didn't appeal to me for some reason or another.
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2006, 01:09:38 AM »

Quote from: "Britton"
Also, what's the deal with Tales Of Legendia? I remember back when it came out, everyone said to stay away from it, and I did. I never bought it, but I'm sure I read up on it and saw screenshots and it didn't appeal to me for some reason or another.

It's all a matter of personal preference.  I've played Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia, Legendia, and The Abyss... and Legendia has been by far my favorite of the series, while Symphonia my least favorite.  Definately not the popular opinion, but it goes to show you that if you're interested in something, it doesn't hurt to give it a try (e.g. borrow or rent) regardless of what you hear.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2006, 11:27:31 AM »

I've played some more of TOTA, and LOVE it more and more with each apssing hour. The only complaint I have is the camera when you're traversing the world map. When you try and swing the camera around to look at things, it's excruciatingly SLOW, and clips/jerks a lot.
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »

I finally completed tales of legendia, i started to use a walkthrough at the second character quest and that actually made the game very enjoyable. I used it mainly in dungeons to see what item i would get if i made a detour instead of taking every detour which normally means 3-4 random encounters because of the chaotic zones and recieving only a life bottle.

Anyways, i started tales of the abyss and i love it. It has a few negative things as the slow camera control as someone already mentioned but also the Skits which i find very inferior to the tales of legendia skits.

So far i think that the story is kind of illogical in some aspects, but that may be because i've only played for a couple of hours.

The gameplay tho is close to perfect, i love walking around in the world exploring stuff and actually seeking out battles because of the fun battle system. All in all, a great game.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »

Well, the translation for Tales of the Abyss was decent, my major gripe is that they removed all the voice acting from the skits. The silence is killer...

Well, I DID import the japanese Tales games, so I already solved my own problem if I didn't like the US version. :/

Anyway, the PS2 Tales of Destiny remake is a blast. The 'secret' character was a surprise! xD
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: