Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330181 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Most Anticipated 2013 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Most Anticipated 2013 Discussion Thread  (Read 3723 times)
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »

With our GotY awards out of the way, we took the opportunity to look forward to 2013 and highlight some of our most anticipated RPGs in this new feature. Which games are you looking forward to the most?

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »

Surprised to see DA3 on that list, I wasn't aware it actually had a release date.

For now, I'm mostly just looking forward to working on my backlog.  Seriously, it needs work.  I'll probably get Xillia when it comes out, though.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »

Versus XIII:

"Announced in 2006, this game...

...oh, who are we kidding?"

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 12:09:06 AM »

Surprised to see DA3 on that list, I wasn't aware it actually had a release date.

DA3, I could have sworn they said DA3 was in development for the next generation of consoles.  I guess it could come out on PC in the mean time.

Also I'm surprised at the Soul Hackers estimated release window.  I wasn't even aware it was out in Japan already, but apparently it is.  If it comes out before Summer, than awesome.  Didn't think it would come close so that's awesome.

For me personally:
1.) Under Night In-Birth
2.) Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
3.) SMT: Soul Hackers
4.) Bravely Default
5.) Tales of Xillia /  FF14: ARR

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:01 AM »

Barring some kind of critical failure of incompetence or human dignity (goddamn scalpers), I fully intend to make off with that sweet FE3DS bundle, and then I'm going to be drained for the next couple of months.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Bravely Default or Type-0, but Squeenix needs to pull their collective head out of their collective ass. Soul Hackers would be another good game to cut my teeth into someday.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:01 AM »

What, no PSP/Vita love with even an Honorable Mention to Corpse Party: Book of Shadows? Shame! Shame!

Hmm...honestly I think the only thing on both those lists even remotely interesting is Ayesha; but considering the Atelier games have been more like the Rorona series with each passing iteration and less like the Mana Khemia counterpart...meh. The whole OCD 'Must make every item!' isn't enough to make up for the less than stellar combat and sub-par story hooks (although I have yet to plug in Meruru...maybe they changed it up...ha).

The rest of it really falls outside of the spectrum of my interests. *sigh* This is going to be a very lean gaming year. :-\
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:12 AM »

Just something I notice every now and then, from the bravely default thing:
could care less
seems to be synonymous with "couldn't care less" though one would think they're opposites.
plus, claiming that you could care less indicates a possible lack of interest but it being anticipated contradicts that.
I'm over thinking again, clearly.
Out of those FE3D, BD:FF, SMT4/SH, FF-0, Ni no Kuni and Xillia appeal to me most.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

Bioware stated that DA3 is looking at a Q4 release this year, and there have been rumors of a move to the next generation of consoles because the game is using Frostbite. 

And I would pick up that FE3DS bundle in a heartbeat if it was an XL. 
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »

Ni No Kuni is my #1 most anticipated, and it comes out next week! I won't be able to play it until the week after, though...

Followed by:

Tales of Xillia
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Etrian Odyssey IV
Phantasy Star Online 2

The first three I'll pre-order. Might also pick up Fire Emblem, but I'm not expecting much from it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

This feature really hammers home for me how done I am with rpgs. Nothing in there is setting off any anticipation radars. I'm curious about Ni no Kuni and South Park, but most likely will never buy them. Dragon Age 3, if well received, will probably be a purchase, but I wonder if it will even be released in 2013. Doubtful.
I like Tales games, but they're too darn long. I've avoided Graces F for fear of adding another 60+ hour game to my backlog. Xilia will fall in the same boat, no matter how good it is.
2013 for me is all about Dead Space 3, The Last of Us, Beyond: 2 Souls, and probably some smaller(Indie,Arcade, etc.) games that have yet to show themselves.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »

2013 for me is all about Dead Space 3, The Last of Us, Beyond: 2 Souls, and probably some smaller(Indie,Arcade, etc.) games that have yet to show themselves.

Meanwhile, you reminded me why I am about done with Non-RPGs. With the exception of Sly 4 and Shantae 3DS, none of the games I'm seeing coming out this year that aren't RPGs generally lack any sense of creatibity and whimsey to its visual style. While I'm sure they'll all be fun games, in order for me to be interested in a game in the first place for me to find out, it has to do something eye-catching, the best of which is through the visuals. I like to get lost in the world of a game, regardless of its genre (I can do that even with a puzzle game), and if the game is interesting visually I'm already ready to become invested in its world, regardless of what that eventually is or how it turns out. With most of the games coming out this year, I don't see any of them with a world I'm willing to take an interest in.

Now just to be clear: I am not dissing those games. Again, their probably good, fun games all around. But so are lots of games, and I'd much rather spend my time with the ones that appeal to me visually, and therefore the ones with the worlds I'll find the most interesting. So far, that seems heavily restricted to RPGs these days.

EDIT: TL;DR - I hate realistic art styles in games. Even adding some cel-shading, like in the Walking Dead Teltale games, is enough to make a game infinitely more appealing to me. But if it looks like my backyard, I'd much rather be out there than playing that game, no matter how fun it turns out to be.

EDIT 2: Also I'm discounting Wii U games, since I'm not getting a Wii U this year, and when I don't own a console, what comes out for it doesn't exist in my little world. :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:36:14 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-review

IGN loved Ni No.  So I'm a bit more hyped for it now even if the review starts with an open comparison of Tales and Pokéman..... the reviewers surname is Moriarity... that's sorta cool.

Tomb Raider
Last of Us
Xillia, I guess
3DS stuff - Bravely Default will make me very very happu
Vita stuffs????? *
WiiU stuffs (love if they announce GC titles for their store) *

* as a reason to buy the system

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »

If we're talking votes for least anticipated titles of the year, I'd place mine on Ni no Kuni since it looks like a Level 5 game with blander gameplay compared to their better titles XIII Versus because honestly, it really has become the second coming of Duke Nukem Forever and should have DNF's old projected release date of 3/21/2999.

Also I noticed this before but didn't feel like mentioning it till now, but lol at XIII-3 not even getting a mention despite it being guaranteed to be released later this year.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »

Ni no Kuni ... [it has] blander gameplay compared to their better titles

lol, like what??  I stand of firm opinion that they have to be one of the best companies when it comes to hit-or-miss games.  When they hit, they hit a bullseye, but when they miss, it's because they missed their target by a full 180-degrees.

Also I noticed this before but didn't feel like mentioning it till now, but lol at XIII-3 not even getting a mention despite it being guaranteed to be released later this year.

This is Dice's complete lack of surprise...
¬_¬

Yeah, Squeenix is in a hole it can't dig itself out of with FF13-2-2.  And good on the public for being skeptical; the way they've treated the story for the 13 Saga will not only continue people's superstitions about the number "13" being unlucky, but prove even they've lost sight with what the hell they're doing.  EVen if the gameplay is good, the story (if 13-2 was any indicator) should be a big ball of nonsense.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »

Ni no Kuni ... [it has] blander gameplay compared to their better titles

lol, like what??  I stand of firm opinion that they have to be one of the best companies when it comes to hit-or-miss games.  When they hit, they hit a bullseye, but when they miss, it's because they missed their target by a full 180-degrees.

I never quite understood the love Level 5 seems to get from RPG fans.  Yeah they have some good adventure games, but most of their RPGs are middling to bad.  I thought Rogue Galaxy was terrible, and I'll never understand the love it gets.  Then there was White Knight Chronicles...I guess Dark Cloud was supposed to be good, but I must admit I never played it.  Even so, how many years ago was that now?

Ni no Kuni might buck this trend...maybe.  Colin Moriarty is probably number one on my list of reviewer's who's opinion I couldn't care less about, but there are other positive reviews showing up.  But I wasn't really impressed with the demo...gorgeous game but combat was shallow and repetitive with needlessly obfuscated controls. How is that a good thing?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: