Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 04:21:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341236 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Most Anticipated 2013 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Most Anticipated 2013 Discussion Thread  (Read 4226 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 04:30:27 PM »

Ni no Kuni is actually a weird deal for me.

See I actually somewhat like Miyazaki films. The visuals provide a nice little bit of surrealism that holds a unique charm even amongst the weird, experimental stuff anime artists do sometimes...but personally I think it only works in bursts. Little 1-2 hour films? Perfect match. A 40+ hour RPG? That completely turns me off. The concept of looking at that art style for that long over a singular story pretty much ensures I'll likely never even try the game. It's a weird pet peeve that this particular work seems to have triggered.

Also I doubly don't understand the appeal it has around here simply because I can recall several times where we've griped about Japan's absolute obsession with shoehorning in 17-belows in as the protagonists with tag-along cutesy mascots into nearly all of their JRPG work. But they throw a game at us with an even younger cast list and a crapton of the mascot types littering the world and somehow that's palatable...the hell? XD
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:03:08 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »

Ni no Kuni is actually a weird deal for me.

See I actually somewhat like Miyazaki films. The visuals provide a nice little bit of surrealism that holds a unique charm even amongst the weird, experimental stuff anime artists do sometimes...but personally I think it only works in bursts. Little 1-2 hour films? Perfect match. A 40+ hour RPG? That completely turns me off. The concept of looking at that art style for that long over a singular story pretty much ensures I'll likely never even try the game. It's a weird pet peeve that this particular work seems to have triggered.

Also I doubly don't understand the appeal it has around here simply because I can recall several times where we've griped about Japan's absolute obsession with shoehorning in 17-belows in as the protagonists with tag-along cutesy mascots into nearly all of their JRPG work. But they throw a game at us with an even younger cast list and a crapton of the mascot types littering the world and somehow that's palatable...the hell? XD

I have more beef with Olivers [?] attire more than his age.  Brown-haired boy with Red cape and Blue tunic, while his mascot takes the other two primary colors on.  I think the main plot is endearing enough, and he seems pretty mature (not one of those headstrong JRPG heroes who acts before he thinks, but he seems like a kind and earnest kid).  That, and he misses his dead mum -- maybe it's the woman in me saying that, but I think it's a sweet plot point and has a different thing going for it than "save the world" as the only motivator.  Ghibli has always done the "stereotype" well, usually by throwing some curve ball to it or keeping things "simple and clean" while the rest of the anime world is getting more and more "whacky".  I agree otherwise about Ghibli, but I'm curious how a world will play it in regards to videogame playability.  If the reviews are strong and the curiosity is high, then I see no reason why not to be optimistic even if Ghibli isn't the most exciting collaborator for a videogame.

Kevadu: A point against the demo was, as mentioned in the topic, a complete lack of tutorials.  But yeah, controls worry me the most, my beef being how visible/swift enemy attacks are versus how sticky the controls are.  Personally, I've never found my opinions of a demo give me the same feeling as when I'm actually playing the complete thing.  Hard to explain, but I suppose an out of context can be a difficult thing to play, and for that I usually try to avoid demos.

Ah well, here's hoping I don't have to stick my foot in my mouth when the game comes out and I end up hating it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »

So much skepticism! ;) I'm really excited for Ni no Kuni, to the point where I've ordered a copy to play while I wait for my Wizard's Edition to arrive. Aside from that, I'm most looking forward to:

- Tales of Xillia
- Etrian Odyssey IV
- Soul Hackers
- FFXIV: ARR
- Lightning Returns (cautiously, of course)
- Ys Celceta (not in our feature, but I'm pretty damn sure it's coming here)
- Everything on our Hopefuls list

So basically, I want ALL THE THINGS. I try to keep a positive outlook on everything, and even if I'm let down by one of these games, I'm sure most of them will please me based on the media I've seen.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »

Surprised Celceta wasn't in localization hopefuls. Though it's nearly a guarantee.

... what about old PSP titles that RPGFan did multiple news stories on? No love for BlackRock Shooter or Sol Trigger? Is there just no hope?

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »

Do Want:
-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Pokemon XY
-FFXI: Seekers of Adoulin (1 of like 3 people on this site that care about it!)

Sort of want:
-XIV: ARR
-PSO2
-Ni no Kuni
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »

... what about old PSP titles that RPGFan did multiple news stories on? No love for BlackRock Shooter or Sol Trigger? Is there just no hope?

I've pretty much given up on BRS at this point.  I know NISA still claims they're doing it, but...what on earth are they waiting for then?  The PSP market certainly isn't going to get better and this isn't a case like Trails or something where the script is just that huge.  If they were going to do it I can't figure out why they haven't already.

Sol Trigger was never even announced, was it?

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »

Besides Soul Hackers, my most anticipated for 2013 is Shantae 3DS.  My "wishful thinking" one is Bravely Default.  Do want. 

Otherwise, I'm mostly going to just wait and see as smaller, indie titles start trickling out of the woodwork. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »

2013 for me is all about Dead Space 3, The Last of Us, Beyond: 2 Souls, and probably some smaller(Indie,Arcade, etc.) games that have yet to show themselves.

Meanwhile, you reminded me why I am about done with Non-RPGs. With the exception of Sly 4 and Shantae 3DS, none of the games I'm seeing coming out this year that aren't RPGs generally lack any sense of creatibity and whimsey to its visual style. While I'm sure they'll all be fun games, in order for me to be interested in a game in the first place for me to find out, it has to do something eye-catching, the best of which is through the visuals. I like to get lost in the world of a game, regardless of its genre (I can do that even with a puzzle game), and if the game is interesting visually I'm already ready to become invested in its world, regardless of what that eventually is or how it turns out. With most of the games coming out this year, I don't see any of them with a world I'm willing to take an interest in.

Now just to be clear: I am not dissing those games. Again, their probably good, fun games all around. But so are lots of games, and I'd much rather spend my time with the ones that appeal to me visually, and therefore the ones with the worlds I'll find the most interesting. So far, that seems heavily restricted to RPGs these days.

EDIT: TL;DR - I hate realistic art styles in games. Even adding some cel-shading, like in the Walking Dead Teltale games, is enough to make a game infinitely more appealing to me. But if it looks like my backyard, I'd much rather be out there than playing that game, no matter how fun it turns out to be.

EDIT 2: Also I'm discounting Wii U games, since I'm not getting a Wii U this year, and when I don't own a console, what comes out for it doesn't exist in my little world. :P
Thing is, I totally prefer stylistic, colorful, and creative graphics myself. Unfortunately they don't ever seem to be paired up with games with great characters and a mature storyline. If I want that I'm "stuck" with the types of games I mentioned above. Or like the Walking Dead series, which was fantastic.
If you can steer me in the direction of a game that meshes these things I'll happily try it out.
Journey and Dust were both great games and quite beautiful graphically. I'd be happy with more games like that.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:35 AM »

Versus XIII:

"Announced in 2006, this game...

...oh, who are we kidding?"

Haha! I did the same thing when I read that.

I kind of have to agree with Grim. Outside of the new Fire Emblem, none of the games appeal to me much. I remember first hearing about Ni No Kuni years ago, but when I found out how the battle system actually works I was immediately turned off despite how pretty it is. The other thing is I don't really want to commit to playing a lot of games that are going to take me 50+ hours to play. I used to complain about this back in the day, but I've grown even more severe about it now. I only will make a few exceptions, and I can sum those exceptions up quickly. Fire Emblem and Zelda. On the flipside, I don't really like it when a game only lasts 5 or 6 hours. One of the few titles I played during grad school was VanQuish. I was really excited for it, and finished it in just over 4 hours. That was disappointing.

Anyway, Fire Emblem and Sly 4 are the two that I'm really looking forward to so far. I've yet to see much else coming that catches my attention. I am keeping an eye on the new Tomb Raider, and though my hopes are nearly gone, I'll keep an eye out for The Last Guardian. That's all for now.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »

Ni No is on my list especially for the Ghibli art style but I was never quite down with the ' Tales' battle system.  Its a red button for me but everything else sounds wonderful so I'll give it a shot.  Last Jrpg I enjoyed was xenoblade but the characters were bland. This one seems much more involved. I'm getting it.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:43 AM »

From what I tried the battle system has more in common with Xenoblade or FFXII than Tales. It's not really an action battle system at all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 03:30:02 AM »

SMT IV
Soul Hackers
Etrian Odyssey IV

I'll be getting a 3DS this summer. These are probably the only three games I'll buy all year unless we get Bravely Default.

Edit - I should include the 999 sequel since I don't have it yet.

Persona 4 and FFX aren't enough to make me get a Vita.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:32:44 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:02:45 AM »

Ni no Kuni ... [it has] blander gameplay compared to their better titles

lol, like what??  I stand of firm opinion that they have to be one of the best companies when it comes to hit-or-miss games.  When they hit, they hit a bullseye, but when they miss, it's because they missed their target by a full 180-degrees.

I never quite understood the love Level 5 seems to get from RPG fans.  Yeah they have some good adventure games, but most of their RPGs are middling to bad.  I thought Rogue Galaxy was terrible, and I'll never understand the love it gets.  Then there was White Knight Chronicles...I guess Dark Cloud was supposed to be good, but I must admit I never played it.  Even so, how many years ago was that now?

Ni no Kuni might buck this trend...maybe.  Colin Moriarty is probably number one on my list of reviewer's who's opinion I couldn't care less about, but there are other positive reviews showing up.  But I wasn't really impressed with the demo...gorgeous game but combat was shallow and repetitive with needlessly obfuscated controls. How is that a good thing?

Dark Cloud 2 had a sort of/kind of interesting equipment advancement mechanic by letting you take pictures of everything and had two playable characters in the main dude and his robot tank (also some chick but she sucked and tended to disappear every so often), but other than that it was a bland dungeon crawler with a pants on head retarded plot and horribly unbalanced mechanics. Dark Cloud 1 sucks compared to DC2.

But to me, the only good RPG Level 5 did was Dragon Quest VIII and I believe most of the credit probably belongs to the DQ team rather than Level 5 since they kept them pretty restrained from their normal bullshit. And admittedly, I thought they were the bee's knees for a time; until I saw White Knight Chronicles and promptly lost faith in them (I'm not even going to spoiler it. How does anyone come up with unintentional awesomeness like the sneaking in, not just a spy, but the main character's principal rival and antagonist into your main party for a goodly chunk of the game only to immediately throw her under the bus in favor of the "real" MOTHERFUCKING BLACK KNIGHT who is as much of a cardboard cutout as every other joker in the game just because the first black knight was female and thus only exists to serve as a walking dramabomb that everybody forgets about by the end of the death speech?). Although I didn't consider them terrible at making games until they went and made literally the worst Gundam series ever made (like, so bad, even Sunrise doesn't want to acknowledge its existence, and this is a company that was shameless enough to make a series that was literally a blatant commercial for their own toys and merchandise; hell, I think they're probably more willing to acknowledge G-Savior as a thing more than AGE and that wasn't even made in Japan).

I honestly consider them to be between Squeenix and Capcom in terms of Japanese game developers' qualities vs. shenanigans, and even Capcom's starting to look like they're learning.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »

i have WKC2 and ill probally have to force myself to finish it unless Kara somehow comes back without losing her attitude.

ni no kuni=meh i cant get attached to kid characters.

my anticipation?
the invevitable SRW OGS2 gaiden./possible vita srw?
xillia
FFXIV ARR
i was anticipating PSO2 but its looking pretty meh. i mean get this...instead of straight up buying dlc you buy lottery tickets with a chance of getting the dlc you want...WTF!
blaz blue crono phantasma especially if the home release ends up having kokonoe.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

blaz blue crono phantasma especially if the home release ends up having kokonoe.

Eventual DLC would probably be my guess.  Unless the home release is so far out that Japan gets time-released DLC in the arcade before the home version hits.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: