Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:11:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327663 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  xbox exclusive that won't distract me from Ni No Kuni....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: xbox exclusive that won't distract me from Ni No Kuni....  (Read 2119 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

So I just got traded an Xbox 360 for some tattoo time along with Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, last remnant and will be picking up magnacarta2.... On the Xbla I'm looking at grabbing bastion and maybe dust... not sure....

Here is the thing, I don't want to start anything too involving or engrossing with Ni No Kuni on the way.... But I need to scratch the "xbox itch" i've got at the moment....

Tales of Vesperia is out.... I love the Tales games... if I play this now, Ni No will totally take a back-seat....

Lost Odyssey is out.... time sink and turn based..... not good for co-current ni no play-LoL

I'm not well enough informed to make a call here on the other titles...also not sure which I am over-looking/haven't considered yet.... I'm guessing my safest bet would be some of the Xbla stuff??

Anyhow, you guys never steer me in the wrong direction (and I'll totally listen this time.... I promise it won't be another "I'm gonna play Rorona no matter what you say!!" instance...)..... That said, please DO NOT limit suggestions to what I've listed here.... Any additional suggestions, including simply "must haves" to flesh out my xbox library would be appreciated as well (i read the RPGfan reviews and got what I have already, based on them)

Thanks ahead of time folks! Its advice in these particular instances that really make me love you all so....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »

From my old Xbox days I say then stay away from Vesperia because it's GOOD!
It was my first Tales of game and I wasn't expecting much, to my surprise, soon I got caught into it, so since you want something not too engaging, I recommend against it.

I didn't like the little I play of Lost Odyssey much, so maybe this should be the one.
A recommendation, I played a good amount of the first disc of Blue Dragon. I found it fun, easy to pick up anytime, since its mechanics are basic as they can be and the plot doesn't seem difficult to follow in the slightest. So I'd recommend it. This is a game I regret not playing more but my 360 broke and later I sold it, so too late for me, unless the next Xbox brings it back in some way.

Last Remnant I played a little on the PC. It's not bad but there's also something missing. At least this one has some new ideas but people say the 360 version is full of slowdowns (a little better if installed on the HD), so I'd keep that in mind.

One 360 RPG I wanted to play, released last year on XBLA was Dust. It looks beautiful, and reviews say it's good, so I'd at least check it up.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »

Yeah, Blue Dragon's probably your best bet. It'd be easier to get back to once you're done with Ni no Kuni, yet I doubt it'll be so engaging it'll suck up too much of your time. I personally found myself forcing myself to play it, simply because I wanted to be enthralled with it, but couldn't.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »

Klyde, if you don't mind me asking with Ni no Kuni coming out in literally a couple of days why would you start any new game right now if you're worried about it eating into Ni no Kuni time?  Surely there must be something on your backlog you could work on ;)

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »

Klyde, if you don't mind me asking with Ni no Kuni coming out in literally a couple of days why would you start any new game right now if you're worried about it eating into Ni no Kuni time?  Surely there must be something on your backlog you could work on ;)

Ahhh you know me well Kev.....Yeppers, 3 more left on my backlog actually.... agarest 2, growlanser WoT and seiken densetsu3.... but after today that should be down to 2 (i should be polishing it off and announcing my victory in SD3 over in the daily gaming journal in but a few short hours-LoL)

This was purely because having this new system gave me an "xbox itch".... I just can't have a new system (well new to me) sitting there without experiencing something on the thing-LoL

Blue Dragon has been ordered BTW, and is on its way :)

I'm thinking of running with the Dust suggestion as that doesn't seem like anything I would get too involved in....

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »

Well, it's not an exclusive but I preferred 'Catherine' on the 360.
You can probably finish the game in 2-3 days.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »

I recommend Fallout 3

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »

I recommend Fallout 3
You monster.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »

I have to admit, I think Blue Dragon might be the biggest conflict, I'd go so far as to say it's probably the most similar game on the Xbox to Ni No Kuni despite the completely different battle systems. As much of a time hog as Fallout 3 is at least it's a very different type of game.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »

Why not load up on some XBLA games like Shadow Complex? It should be a quick and dirty timewaster for the next two days or so.

Also, for the love of god do not get the 360 version of The Last Remnant. The PC version is vastly superior and cheaper to get to boot.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »

Why not load up on some XBLA games like Shadow Complex? It should be a quick and dirty timewaster for the next two days or so.

Also, for the love of god do not get the 360 version of The Last Remnant. The PC version is vastly superior and cheaper to get to boot.

I like the XBLA idea.... shadow complex you say??? Any others? I like the way you think aeolus!
I have to admit, I think Blue Dragon might be the biggest conflict, I'd go so far as to say it's probably the most similar game on the Xbox to Ni No Kuni despite the completely different battle systems. As much of a time hog as Fallout 3 is at least it's a very different type of game.

Agreed, I just know I want Blue Dragon if for no other reason than the nostalgia factor of playing something with art by my. toriyama..... blue dragon will however wait til post ni no for me.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »

I fucking hate these threads. Just look at a list of reviews and make up your own damn mind.

I recommend Fallout 3

One of the best games ever. But he won't get it.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »

@Yoda - sometimes that's easier said than done. I know personally I can never decide what to play, hence why I have over 800 unbeaten games. :(

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »

If you're okay with non-RPGs, then maybe Senko no Ronde, Outland and Deathsmiles.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 01:45:37 AM »

It's not an rpg, but shadow complex is a good quickie to occupy yourself for a few days. Dust works too, as does bastion.

Or be like me and occupy extra free time at the gym to make up for the inevitable 4 days you will miss playing this.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: