Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:00:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327947 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  xbox exclusive that won't distract me from Ni No Kuni....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: xbox exclusive that won't distract me from Ni No Kuni....  (Read 2138 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

I fucking hate these threads. Just look at a list of reviews and make up your own damn mind.

I recommend Fallout 3

One of the best games ever. But he won't get it.

Ouch, I feel as though I struck a chord...LoL... Sorry Yoda... Let me clear the water so to speak...

Mickeymac more or less summed up a large portion of my general problem...
@Yoda - sometimes that's easier said than done. I know personally I can never decide what to play, hence why I have over 800 unbeaten games. :(

But the real meat and potatos of the situation are that no reviews are ever written with the idea that game selection is based on the fact that you don't want a game to clash with another particular title or become too engrossing.... if each review had a "clash with Ni No score" I wouldn't have started the thread.... Also, I mentioned in the original post that I already began filling the xbox library based the on the RPGFan reviews to further drive home the point that I was looking for suggestions outside the realm of those, more tailored to my current and particular plight.

Lastly, in regard to fallout 3.... it could very well be, by every objective measure, the best game ever....but you clearly know my tastes Mr. Yoda... and as such, you know that even if that were the case (fallout 3 being a title with no equal) I would probably take the next shitty compile hearts over it due to the fact that it just is not my cup of tea.... but the real deal breaker is that it is not an xbox exclusive, which is what I am looking for....

However.... your passionate post with such certainty that I will never try it has swayed me....I think I will gamefly it (fallout3) for the PS3 just to entertain to possibility of something great.... stranger things have happened.... I swore I could never stand sentient animal/ anthropomorphic MC's or platformers and discovered a love for Ratchet and Clank that changed my mind on both accounts (thanks to the suggestions of fellow RPGfan members)..... So I will keep an open mind :)

It's not an rpg, but shadow complex is a good quickie to occupy yourself for a few days. Dust works too, as does bastion.

Or be like me and occupy extra free time at the gym to make up for the inevitable 4 days you will miss playing this.

Thanks! The overwhleming suggestion of XBLA titles has settled me on them for the time being!... The Gym suggestion though, in all honesty, is probably the best guidance of all!! LOL.... excpet for the fact that I already compulsively run 8-12 miles a day.... I have for years, without taking even one day off... I can't "not run" or I become cranky as sin..... I run if I'm sick, happy, sad, healthy and will do so if it is sunny, raining, snowing or otherwise.... There is no day that is bad so long as I get a good run in :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:31:44 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »

Fuck you, ya skinny bastard.

I'm sorry, that was the ni no kuni itch talking.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »

Fuck you, ya skinny bastard.

I'm sorry, that was the ni no kuni itch talking.

Being skinny through the means that I am comes at a price I am afraid... I'm hyper to a fault and you will always have an edge on me D..... that is, I am quite certain you can digest chocolate and corn as well as a variety of different breads/pastries and confections.... probably dairy and soy too...and I bet you can have fruit.... I you see.... cannot :(...

You, however, are forgiven just cause I typically enjoy your posts/replies -LoL....

It is understandable though as Ni No seems to have us all a bit on edge as of late.... doing and saying strange things... hell, I even rescheduled everything this week to clear up as much time as possible on tuesday...

Ni no aside though, I sure seem to be facilitating the dropping of the F-bomb in this here thread..... i'd best watch myself... i like it here.... wouldn't want to get dubbed a "troublemaker"-LoL

EDIT: Please note my over-use of "LoL" in this thread.... I've thoroughly enjoyed it, and am walking away XBLA enlightened as a result :) Thanks folks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:12:26 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »

I have an allergy to shellfish, so I sort of get how you feel. Clams, shrimp, lobster, (real) crab, and scallops all cause me to have breathing trouble when I eat them, and that's like one scallop or a single shrimp. I used to eat fresh crab like it was going out of business, stuff was amazing. Sad times now...

Dude, don't even get me started about the Ni No Kuni itch....I thought it came out last tuesday. I scheduled the entire week, work gym and free time, around this game. I gave items in FFXI away for the week, lend out gil, spent all my excess cash in game....I was prepped for this week. I get to lamestop to pick it up and receive the bad news.....I nearly flipped my shit. When I left, some beggar asked me for change, and I told him, and I quote "Fuck off, I don't have any fucking money for your broke drunk ass, go get a fucking job you bum!". I still don't feel bad about it, but damn if I think I was extreme about it.

This game...it has driven me mad.

TASTY!
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 08:42:22 AM »

Dust definitely sounds like it would fit the bill in your scenario.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »

I have an allergy to shellfish, so I sort of get how you feel. Clams, shrimp, lobster, (real) crab, and scallops all cause me to have breathing trouble when I eat them, and that's like one scallop or a single shrimp. I used to eat fresh crab like it was going out of business, stuff was amazing. Sad times now...

Dude, don't even get me started about the Ni No Kuni itch....I thought it came out last tuesday. I scheduled the entire week, work gym and free time, around this game. I gave items in FFXI away for the week, lend out gil, spent all my excess cash in game....I was prepped for this week. I get to lamestop to pick it up and receive the bad news.....I nearly flipped my shit. When I left, some beggar asked me for change, and I told him, and I quote "Fuck off, I don't have any fucking money for your broke drunk ass, go get a fucking job you bum!". I still don't feel bad about it, but damn if I think I was extreme about it.

This game...it has driven me mad.

Man, I sympathize! The SAME exact scenario (minus the beggar) occurred for me when Catherine came out... I was so upset I started trying to hunt down a store that broke the street date for the game-LoL

I can't do shellfish either..... bums me out a bit.... but the absolute worst for me is cocoa... I used to be a chocoholic... even a pinch of the stuff now is like shooting a cannon through my central nervous system.... I can't even play games for days if I have it.... well I can, I just hate them... and everything else about llife for a good 3 or 4 days... Doctors can't really tell me why this happens to me with cocoa as it isn't a typical allergy and claim genuine cocoa allergies are relatively non-existent anyhow...  Everything else I can't have is a result of malabsorbtion problems with your typical IBS symptoms, however wth me it also results in horrible edema that (if left unchecked) becomes pulmonary pretty quick for me... I take a daily dose of 160mg of a loop diuretic..... furesimide actually.... that is twice the dose of my 89 year old grandmother (how sad is that!)
Dust definitely sounds like it would fit the bill in your scenario.

Thanks dincrest, your words carry weight with me friend! I tried Bastion last night along with Braid (a client of mine kept telling me braid was a "must".... I would argue otherwise.....), today I am going to give Dust a whirl :)

Tomorrow I'll give the "final report" on my xbox status and lay the issue to rest... I feel I owe you all some closure on this thread seeing as how so much advice was given as well as patience exercised.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »

Braid was cool at first, but drove me insane. I had to give up on it.
Bastion and Dust are both fantastic and come highly recommended.
I tried Shadow Complex, but stopped for some reason. I really don't see that being your style.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »

Well, I thought it only fair now to share the results.....Because of this thread and RPGfan reviews, my xbox library now looks like this...

Disc Based:
Blue Dragon
Magna Carta 2
Lost Odyssey
Last Remnant (sorry Aeolus.... i can't do games on my pc)
Infinite Undiscovery
Tales of Vesperia

XBLA:
Bastion
Braid
Dust: An Elysian Tale

On the way from Gamely (once I finish Zone of the Enders HD)
Fallout 3

And for the win..... currently playing, for my first Xbox game, with confidence that it will not inhibit my Ni-No time in any way...... DUST AN ELYSIAN TALE!! Game is freakin' great!!!! Its like a less pretty version of Odin Sphere with better gameplay (not that it looks bad by any stretch)....

The only regret?? Braid (ironically, the only thing that you guys didn't suggest-LoL).....Braid looks nice.... I love the concept.... but it is frustrating as sin in the sense that I can see solutions to puzzles but cannot execute them due to the horrid control.... I just can't time jumps and things right at all... terribly agrivating..

Thanks again everyone :) I am uber-pleased this issue has been layed to rest for me. 

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »

Glad you're enjoying Dust. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »

The only regret?? Braid (ironically, the only thing that you guys didn't suggest-LoL).....Braid looks nice.... I love the concept.... but it is frustrating as sin in the sense that I can see solutions to puzzles but cannot execute them due to the horrid control.... I just can't time jumps and things right at all... terribly agrivating..

Eh, Braid is on PSN too, you know.  And the PS3's dpad is way better...

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: