Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327258 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Good non-rpg ps2 game?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Good non-rpg ps2 game?  (Read 5064 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 12:24:58 PM »

Killer 7, Beyond Good and Evil, Jak series, all awesome games.
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 07:36:35 PM »

Wow! Now i got something to work with here. I've tried out Jak 3 now, i don't like it that much, annoying camera angles and all the other things i dislike with 3D platformers, but still, i continue to play it so i guess i like it a litte bit :). Even thou it's not very complex i find the problem to be a lack of simplicity, and i guess that is my problem with many of the modern games. Nothing can beat Super Mario World, no intro, no cutscenes(almost), no advanced button-combinations, you just sit down and play. I have yet to find such a game for the current-gen consoles :).

Anyway, i think i'll play jak 3 some more, and see where it takes me. I've got so many tips now. I guess i'll try my hands at God of War, MGS and maybe give Resident Evil 4 a try, although, i really dislike horror games but anyone can change :).
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »

Quote from: "MartinMM"
. I guess i'll try my hands at God of War, MGS and maybe give Resident Evil 4 a try, although, i really dislike horror games but anyone can change :).

Resi 4 is completely different to the others. I played the GC remake of Resident Evil and I found it too scary for my liking, so like you I wasn't going to buy the 4th one. But Resi 4's got much more of an emphasis on action, so you don't really have to be a horror game fan - in fact, I didn't think the game was scary at all, except for
Code:
those wierd Regenerator things.
So if you don't mind the fact you'll go round shooting a lot of things and getting killed, then Resi 4 would be ok for you, Martin.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 03:10:33 PM »

Yeah, give RE4 a try anyway. It can spook you, but I'm a pussy who can't deal with horror games, and outside of the aforementioned spoiler bit (hint: a variation of them was shown in the commercials), I was able to deal with the game just fine for the most part.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 03:12:51 PM »

I wouldn't call Resident Evil 4 a horror game - it's much, much more of an action game. The only scares it will give you are a few "things jumping through windows" moments. I mean, it's not even close to stuff like Silent Hill or Fatal Frame / Project Zero when it comes to the horror bit.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 03:20:03 PM »

And plus, you can actually see the damn thing, and the control system actually works! Shame Resi 5's back to basics, then (if they ever make the game, that is).
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 03:36:39 AM »

MGS2 and 3, DMC 1 and 3, RE4, Onimusha series... Man there are many options! Shadow of the Colossus is also great!

What?!
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »

Indeed. I have a heck of a lot more ps2 games than gc games, though thats mainly because i only get gc exclusives, and the multiformat games i get on ps2.
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

Thanks alot for all the tips :) I think i've found out what my problem really is. I dislike "dark" games. I never really cared about graphics, but it seems that now i do. Most PS2 games are played out in a kind of "dark" setting. I can't explain why i dont like it, i just don't.
So it's not so much that i get to scared when it comes to horror games, it is just that they in general are extremely dark. I like bright and shiny colors, like in GTA for example, or in my newfound favourite genre, sport-games.
I tried out a couple of those 3d platformers recommended (jak, ratchet) and i had the same problem there.
I will give Okami a try when i get my hands on it, it seems to be very special in its graphical style and i hope i will like it.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »

Wait..you found Jak and Ratchet to be not colorful enough?

It's like playing a fuckin cartoon, man!

/sad

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »

Colorful maybe, but still dark... i don't really know how to explain it. Well of course the ratchet/jak games are not as dark as many other games, but still, the whole setting feels... indoors with only a few lightsources.

Maybe it is that new 3D games use lightsources while older games just had everything illuminated.

Cartoons can still be dark :)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 08:09:35 PM »

I know it's old, I know it got massively overlooked at the time, and I know I'm massively biased, but Transformers was a damn good 3D Action/Shooter. Graphics are still some of the best I've seen squeezed out of the PS2, they use all the voice actors from the cartoons and it has the greatest sound effect known to mankind when the robots transform!

All this for the bargain price of 3, used!

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: