Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 01:39:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330205 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Composer Interviews... Who do YOU want to hear from?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Composer Interviews... Who do YOU want to hear from?  (Read 939 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »

So, in the wake of our recent interview with Yoko Shimomura (which I am still star-struck by), we've been wondering who people might like to hear from next.

Of course, I personally would like to interview Yasunori Mitsuda and Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana), so that's a perpetual work-in-progress, but I'd like to know what you guys all think. What JRPG composer would you all be interested in hearing from?

Some possibles right now include Yuzo Koshiro, any of Square Enix's in-house musicians (Takeharu Ishimoto, Naoshi Mizuta, etc).

Even better, if you've got QUESTIONS you'd be interested in hearing answered from these musicians, I'd love to hear them. Ideas are welcome!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:14:14 PM »

Given that we're "PersonaFan" I would think folks would love a Shoji Meguro interview.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »

Kamikura and anyone else in the current Falcom sound team jdk lineup.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »

First off, thanks for actually reaching out to her, I love the composer interviews!  A lot of these people have influenced me for years and been a companion while I draw or made bus rides infinitely more exciting.

Motoi Sakuraba would be awesome, Hitoshi Sakamoto, Masaharu Iwata, or the wonderfully musically sexy, Masashi Hamauzu.  That's what I got off the top of my head. D:

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »

Alexander Brandon.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:30:12 AM »

Hajime Wakai (Star Fox) Amazing soundtrack for 64
Go Shiina (Tales of Legendia) This guy needs to pull another ToL soundtrack...love it so badly.

Also, can we have a special on Orchestrators/Arrangers? Would love to see one for  Yoshihisa Hirano. Impressed with his orchestration/arrangement of The Theme of Alexia Type 1 in Biohazard The Darkside Chronicles.

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VOxs9uX9Q
Hirano's Arrangement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1GyKs374k

I wrote a post a couple of years ago about his embellished vocal line in the orchestration compared to 'Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" (sung by the queen of Night) from Mozart's Die Zauberflöte. Here's a link to the piece: Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen. If this piece sounds familiar to you...it might be because you came across it from this anime: .hack//roots "God Diva." Of course, there's a reason for that....hack//Roots O.S.T

Honestly, I would love to see more than just an interview, but the process of a game composer's piece translated to the large ensemble. Does the composer first create it as a condensed piano score, or do they compose it straight into Finale/Sibelius/manuscript for the individual instruments. If the composer does write/input a condensed piano score, who then orchestrates it? Do they do it, or do they have to call in someone to orchestrate it? Who do they call in? Why that person? Does that orchestrator communicate with the composer, or do they orchestrate the whole thing then show it? What if they found problems along the way that needs adjusting? Does the composer fix it, or does the composer work with the orchestrator to find a new route in the piece that works? If they did find that new route or [the orchestrator] had permission, what changes and/or embellishments did the orchestrator add to a piece (ex. Theme of Alexia type 1 and Hirano's mozart-esque vocal line)?

I could go on with questions and sink even further...but only if you are interested in doing something like this.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:32:41 AM by Wild Armor » Logged

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Neal, I'd also love to see if we could chat with Meguro-san. Great suggestion.

Same to you, Pat. I don't know much about Ys music (other than WIKIWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA guitars and that I like Celceta's OST), but that's also a good idea for coverage.

Dice, no problem. It was something I wanted to do for a long time, and I'm glad it worked out. You wouldn't believe how long that interview was in the works for. All four of your suggestions are great ideas, too.

Mesh, yes. We're already talking to HyperDuck about a Dust-related interview, and they worked with Alex Brandon on that, so I think that would also be a potentially doable one. Plus, who doesn't love Paris Cathedral from Deus Ex?

Wild, Go Shiina is a much-beloved composer by Don over at SEMO, and also a very good suggestion. Unfortunately, we're limited to RPG-related composers, so Wakai might not be doable, but hey, maybe he's done an RPG we can ask him about :).

As for a special on orchestrators and arrangers, it's a great idea. It might be difficult from a technical aspect, and it would have to be related to RPG/adventure/visual novels in some way, but it's definitely interesting.  All that said, your questions about transposition and getting a piece together for a large ensemble ARE great ideas, and I can certainly look into asking those questions when pertinent in the future.

Again, thanks to all of you guys for your suggestions and comments. Keep 'em coming!

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »

Wild, Go Shiina is a much-beloved composer by Don over at SEMO, and also a very good suggestion. Unfortunately, we're limited to RPG-related composers, so Wakai might not be doable, but hey, maybe he's done an RPG we can ask him about :).

As for a special on orchestrators and arrangers, it's a great idea. It might be difficult from a technical aspect, and it would have to be related to RPG/adventure/visual novels in some way, but it's definitely interesting.  All that said, your questions about transposition and getting a piece together for a large ensemble ARE great ideas, and I can certainly look into asking those questions when pertinent in the future.

Again, thanks to all of you guys for your suggestions and comments. Keep 'em coming!

I kind of figured Wakai was out of the question, but it was worth a shot ;). In regards the orchestrator/arranger bit, I'm sure there's gold there for RPG/Adventure/visual novels games (Especially since Shimomura's response to whom she'd like to collaborate with [Ravel as orchestrator is golden]). Great question by the way, you get a better feel of a composer's taste with these questions. :) Thumbs up! The whole interview was very entertaining and I hope you continue this...I completely support what you're doing. :)

The only other composer I would like to see interviewed is one you mentioned: Takeharu Ishimoto ( especially the lyricist he worked with for the Subarashiki Kono Sekai + The World Ends with You album). Would like to know more info about the collaboration. I'll have thoughts for questions later...

Also, when conductive these interviews generally, do you follow a progressive thought that works off the last answer, while including additional info such as current events/projects, or do you shoot off a list of questions that follow some sort of flow that you think will work for the interview? I assume this was done in some sort of email-response way, I could be mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong ;).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

Given that we're "PersonaFan" I would think folks would love a Shoji Meguro interview.

Yes, please! Sakimoto is another composer I'd love to hear from.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »

Nothing but great ideas, here. We'll definitely keep them in mind. We've got something good coming in the next couple of weeks, too ;).

Thanks again to everyone!

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:30 AM »

We've got something good coming in the next couple of weeks, too ;).

I loooooove you~! :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »

Maybe because I'm a fan of KID visual novels like the Infinity series (i.e. Ever17) and Memories Off, one of my favorite composers is Takeshi Abo, so he's someone I'd like to see interviewed. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »

Would love to hear from Kenji Ito! He's always been one of my favorite composers. :D

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: