Author Topic: SRPGs for a Newbie

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: SRPGs for a Newbie
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »
I mostly remember the blood fountains and the large noses... and the ugly colour scheme... the primitive magic effects...

But it was my first SRPG and it did teach me how to play and appreciate the genre. It doesn't throw too many mechanics at you but does feature a good variety of mission objectives and challenges that go beyond 'kill things efficiently'. Only thing that bothered me is that's easy to under or overlevel certain characters if you don't watch out.

That's the charm of it all! I kind of think ugly can be pretty or something. I didn't promise to be normal Toma-sensei.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
*grumblegrumble* it's not as bad as they make it out to be *grumble grumble*

I'm with you. I prefer FFT:A to FFT.

this does not compute with me

FFT: A is more or less unplayable (at least if you like having fun)

Your photobucket does not compute either.

That said, in a post Bravely Default world, there's no reason to want to break any game over your knee that hates your time so throughly. Even if you beeline the Swordbreaker or understand the hilarity of Morphers, Assassins, Jugglers and other such ridiculous Jobs, the game still requires that you fight about 20 story battles or 40 random encounters just to obtain even one of those gamebreaking abilities out of dozens of ways to utterly break the game's difficulty curve (because the best way to be inspired by an FFIX mechanic was to go about it in the most asinine way possible and make 90+% (would be 99% if Blue Magic didn't exist) of the game's abilities learnable only through weapons, which everyone short of a Dual-Wielding Ninja was limited to one of per battle, and only the battle itself determined how much AP you got out of it versus just doing things like FFT, and the amount earned was paltry at best, even with the AP grinding items, and battles themselves took anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to complete depending on the Laws (not the enemies, not the stage, and not your abilities; just the Laws and those were almost impossible to actually deal with, and god help you if you forgot to save before getting nailed by a bullshit Red Card due to the grind being as tedious and mindless as it was)).

And while FFTA2 tried to improve things, FFTA1 was so completely busted to begin with, and FFTA2's 'improvements' were barely incremental at best, that beyond the travesty that was Luso's character design, there are even fewer reasons to ever bother with the game.

Squeenix really dropped the ball during the entire GBA/DS eras and didn't really turn it around until after having to burn FFXIV 1.0 to the ground. That said, one counter example of Squeenix's aughts' era ineptitudes was Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. Its clever and short enough SRPG to be worth playing, even in spite of it being from Squeenix and Tri-Ace, and should be a fairly good buy for the thread's OP even if it isn't the most n00b friendly game.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 09:52:34 PM »
Fire Emblem for GBA is really fun. I'm not sure if that was mentioned. Also, there are alternative ways to play FE: Path of Radiance that is how I played it.

I played FFT:A when I was a young lad and thought it was meh. Tried playing it again about a year ago. Still thought it was meh.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:48:15 PM by Isjaki »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
I'm a Tactics Advance apologist, because there are some quite good things about it, but preferring it to Tactics.................?  Woof.

Kinda feels like somebody legitimately preferring the Prequels to the Original Trilogy.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »
Fire Emblem for GBA is really fun. I'm not sure if that was mentioned. Also, there are alternative ways to play FE: Path of Radiance **coughcoughcoughemulatorcoughcoughcough** that is how I played it. (Is that taboo around here? If so, sorry!)

I played FFT:A when I was a young lad and thought it was meh. Tried playing it again about a year ago. Still thought it was meh.

Yeah, some of the mods frown on using the E word. I've gotten away with it before when I was referring to fan translated games like Seiken Densetsu 3 that were never released outside of Japan and so it's just assumed that that's the only way any of us have access. But it's probably best to just avoid the subject.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:44:03 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:15 PM »
Fire Emblem for GBA is really fun. I'm not sure if that was mentioned. Also, there are alternative ways to play FE: Path of Radiance **coughcoughcoughemulatorcoughcoughcough** that is how I played it. (Is that taboo around here? If so, sorry!)

Yeah, some of the mods frown on using the E word. I've gotten away with it before when I was referring to fan translated games like Seiken Densetsu 3 that were never released outside of Japan and so it's just assumed that that's the only way any of us have access. But it's probably best to just avoid the subject.
There's good reason for it, companies do send them early review copies of games, and should they see talk of such shenanigans here, it could hurt the relationship they have with rpgfan. We all generally get 1 good warning about before punishments are given, and there is a good chance your post aill get modded for it, so take it from another one of us who got yelled at for it, don't bring it up.

TASTY!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »
Vague allusions are your friend.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »

I heard that Arche f***s like a tiger.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »

I heard that Arche f***s like a tiger.
Man, if there were only a way I could show my appreciation for your post here...owait!!!

TASTY!

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
If you want to play the best SRPG then play Valkyria Chronicles.

If you want a good starter SRPG then I'd say FE: Awakenings (w/ permadeath off). FE: Awakenings is also almost as good as VC.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
When I think "SRPG" though, I think "tile-based".  Like chess.  Which Valkyria Chronicles is not.  VC kinda feels like it's own thing, even though, technically, it is an SRPG.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
Fire Emblem for GBA is really fun. I'm not sure if that was mentioned. Also, there are alternative ways to play FE: Path of Radiance that is how I played it.

There's good reason for it, companies do send them early review copies of games, and should they see talk of such shenanigans here, it could hurt the relationship they have with rpgfan. We all generally get 1 good warning about before punishments are given, and there is a good chance your post aill get modded for it, so take it from another one of us who got yelled at for it, don't bring it up.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I respect the hell out of this site so I will refrain from mention such things again. Also, thanks for quoting me so I can't hide the evidence of my wrong doings! :P

Valkyria Chronicles is a really good choice for a starting SRPG. I agree that it feels like its own thing and that is probably why I liked it so much. I own the HD version and plan to play it again someday.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2016, 12:13:22 AM »
Game I totally forgot that is great for newbies if you have a PSP.

Jeanne D'Arc