Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331879 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  kotaku article on what FFXV means to the future of JRPGs...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: kotaku article on what FFXV means to the future of JRPGs...  (Read 1456 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »

To say the the entirety of console gaming rests with a single game is ridiculous hyperbole and nothing more.

Tabata was referring to consoles still being a viable platform in Japan in the future. He's not wrong saying that XV is potentially one deciding factor of all that.

IIRC wasn't FF7 praised as one of the things that made the PSX as popular as it was?

Normally I'd agree it's strange and bizarre to think of a game with such esteem and possibly being "system seller" just for the one game.... But c'mon, who are we kidding?  I haven't seen one FF15 news article or topics that doesn't get a TON of commentary following it (even though, delay after delay, it doesn't deserve it).  Maybe not a system seller; but I do think the hype machine works in mysterious ways.

I commented on this in my Theatrhythm review, but I think FF is absolutely still part of the conversation. People ALWAYS talk about it. They're a BFD, whether people hate it or not. Let's be honest-- we ALL want to love FFXV and say "HURRAY WE LOVE FINAL FANTASY AGAIN." No, it's not going to sell CoD numbers, but NOTHING sells CoD numbers. I would be unsurprised to hear in a year or two that people pick up a PS4/Bone to get Type-0 and FFXV (provided the latter is as good as I'm sure everyone is secretly hoping).

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »

(provided the latter is as good as I'm sure everyone is secretly hoping).

(...I agree with that; but don't say it out loud!  Let's just keep it in parentheses!! ;)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm more interested in the translations of the Ultimania book of XV. I always enjoy the behind the scenes aspect of those books. I've enjoyed them more than most games in the series.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:30:02 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »

I don't have time to play games anymore because I spend all my free time drawing adult oriented MLP fanart have a job I got high.

Maybe square could just release Ultimania guides for non-existent games, so I could read those instead of not playing the game I wouldn't play anyway.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2014, 02:56:08 AM »

@Mesh: Dunno about making guides for non-existent games. But it would be cool if they officially translate their Ultimania books in other languages.

They really have been better than most games in the series. Then again, that same money could be used to finally translate DQVII for 3DS that so many people seem to want play so badly.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2014, 07:20:42 AM »

To say the the entirety of console gaming rests with a single game is ridiculous hyperbole and nothing more.

Tabata was referring to consoles still being a viable platform in Japan in the future. He's not wrong saying that XV is potentially one deciding factor of all that.

IIRC wasn't FF7 praised as one of the things that made the PSX as popular as it was?

FFVII's biggest role during that era was drawing the market's attention to the PSX where the gaming market's primary demographic saw them as the hip new cool kid on the block with stuff like Tomb Raiders 1 & 2 and Resident Evil 2 to keep them around the yard. Although, what really helped Sony was the fact that Nintendo was betting too conservatively to the point of undercutting themselves and Sega deciding that the greatest foe to battle and slay was itself (or specifically its western head, which it lopped off with extreme prejudice).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »

Yep, for sure - but no one was saying the fate of the PS1 depended on it either.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: