Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X
« Reply #390 on: May 12, 2015, 12:59:04 AM »

I hated FFX Summons.  They go from tanks[?] to wimps really quickly.  I wasn't exactly sure how to upgrade them, but for some reason I also remember telling myself it was largely not worth the effort either.
I do think they're some, if not THE greatest batch of summons in the series.

Am I misreading or did you just say you hated them but they're also the best in the series?

To be fair, most FF summons fall into one of two camps A) Combat Magic that's straight up superior to the school of magic that's dedicated to combat, or B) gimmicky crap that puts way too many constraints on them and makes them too ineffective to use for their respective costs. FFX is the closest the series gets in terms of taking a third option.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2015, 06:28:03 AM »

Am I misreading or did you just say you hated them but they're also the best in the series?
I think Dice is saying she hates them from a mechanical point of view but views the selection of summons available in FFX from a story/design perspective to be one of the better batches.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 12, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »

I think Dice is saying she hates them from a mechanical point of view but views the selection of summons available in FFX from a story/design perspective to be one of the better batches.

Aha righty. Well in that case, I'd have to say I love them on both accounts. I like that they have so much more impact on the story that in other FFs. Hell, they have impact on the story in FF9 but they're still mostly crap to use.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 12, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »
Ehhh.... I don't know, I think it's still the best they've done with summons in the series (with later attempts in XII and XIII that turned out too gimmikcy to use). They have their place through most of the game, if not for anything else then stacking their overdrives on bosses and finally serve as meat shields, which also gives a reason to not bench Yuna entirely. You don't actually want to play as the summons over your party anyway. Also to note that the most powerful thing in the game is Yojimbo so....

Not sure what's the best way to handle mechs, I mean I have no problem spending all day with them, but that does not mean they have to be gimmicky. Xenosaga III had it pretty good, though there was still the problem of game either forcing you to play as them or not.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 12, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
Haha I don't remember a single summon name from FF12.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 12, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
Haha I don't remember a single summon name from FF12.

Really? You don't recall Chaos, Mateus, Zeromus or Exodus? You need to play more FF games sonny. (The other Espers were only named after FFT bosses (though these were correctly spelled/localized) instead of early final bosses; though Ultima was both as she was FFT's final boss.)

As for the mechs, it seems like XBCX is probably the best we're going to get (I mean, the whole point of mechs in the first place is to serve as weapons of war/machines of burden; they're kinda pointless if you can do everything they can do on foot).

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 13, 2015, 01:43:03 AM »
So.....has anybody heard any impressions of the story so far? It's probably the only thing I'm worried about at this point.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 13, 2015, 02:12:52 AM »
So.....has anybody heard any impressions of the story so far? It's probably the only thing I'm worried about at this point.

I've heard things. Random, varied and conflicting things. Conflicting things like...

Code: [Select]
the game ending with a sequel hook, which may or may not be an attempt by Takashi to staple XBCX onto the Gears pre-history (Xenogears was originally billed as the fifth game in a series that ultimately never came to be; glimpses of what could've been were shown in a single flashback during Gears itself and the Ultimania guide; Chronicles X seems to imply that its game 1 of this series, but I've heard nothing concrete either way (mostly because I'm sticking to as much of an information blackout as I can)). Either way though, outside of a few callbacks, XBCX has nothing to do with XBC verse/sequel-wise.
Basically, I know as much about this game as you do.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #398 on: May 13, 2015, 02:43:06 AM »

It's 'big Act 1 spoiler' is pretty interesting to say the least (I regret that I know it), but like Aeo mentioned there's apparently a sequel hook by the end which makes me think, like Xenosaga Episode I, XBX maaaaay be telling an 'incomplete tale' and just covering an 'arc' to an overall story.  But the specifics I don't know for sure, or to what extent the "story is incomplete" (if at all), or if it's just DLC, or if the story events around the game's otherwise 'big spoiler' is interesting too. 

Not sure how much I like that it may connect to Xenogears to whatever extent it is..... I mean, can it even do that?  Or can Square Enix breathe down their necks about it?  Being honest, I'm more sad there's little to no connection to Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade X (besides having Nopons) seems to 'loosely reference' every Xeno game other than Xenoblade, ironically... :( 
Again, hopefully the game will be out and I'll eat my words....

I do like that this series seems to be about 'humanity after Earth' -- an interesting idea if there was one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:59:06 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »

I've heard things. Random, varied and conflicting things. Conflicting things like...

the game ending with a sequel hook, which may or may not be an attempt by Takashi to staple XBCX onto the Gears pre-history (Xenogears was originally billed as the fifth game in a series that ultimately never came to be; glimpses of what could've been were shown in a single flashback during Gears itself and the Ultimania guide; Chronicles X seems to imply that its game 1 of this series, but I've heard nothing concrete either way (mostly because I'm sticking to as much of an information blackout as I can)). Either way though, outside of a few callbacks, XBCX has nothing to do with XBC verse/sequel-wise.
Basically, I know as much about this game as you do.

I'd have to find some translations of Perfect Works to double check, but now that you mention it, XBX does seem to cover the events that are supposed to occur in Episode 1. (i.e., the abandoning of Old Jerusalem). However I don't think it can be Episode 1 however as the original Xeno universe lacked any aliens. I can only assume that the "ending spoiler" is the reveal of the emulators.

Actually nm, just double checked and the events of Episode 1 in Perfect Works and the abandoning of Old Jerusalem took place 5,000 years before the events of Episode 1, after humanity was in control of most of the milky way. So XBX is an alternate version of episode 0?

It's 'big Act 1 spoiler' is pretty interesting to say the least (I regret that I know it), but like Aeo mentioned there's apparently a sequel hook by the end which makes me think, like Xenosaga Episode I, XBX maaaaay be telling an 'incomplete tale' and just covering an 'arc' to an overall story.  But the specifics I don't know for sure, or to what extent the "story is incomplete" (if at all), or if it's just DLC, or if the story events around the game's otherwise 'big spoiler' is interesting too. 

Not sure how much I like that it may connect to Xenogears to whatever extent it is..... I mean, can it even do that?  Or can Square Enix breathe down their necks about it?  Being honest, I'm more sad there's little to no connection to Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade X (besides having Nopons) seems to 'loosely reference' every Xeno game other than Xenoblade, ironically... :( 
Again, hopefully the game will be out and I'll eat my words....

I do like that this series seems to be about 'humanity after Earth' -- an interesting idea if there was one.

No they can't (unless they had a very weird contract with Square when they worked there), but that didn't stop them from making the Xenosaga series which was pretty clearly covering an alternate version of the events preceding Episode 2.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 13, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »

Really? You don't recall Chaos, Mateus, Zeromus or Exodus? You need to play more FF games sonny. (The other Espers were only named after FFT bosses (though these were correctly spelled/localized) instead of early final bosses; though Ultima was both as she was FFT's final boss.)

As for the mechs, it seems like XBCX is probably the best we're going to get (I mean, the whole point of mechs in the first place is to serve as weapons of war/machines of burden; they're kinda pointless if you can do everything they can do on foot).

Well I obviously recall them now you've written them down! I meant they weren't memorable enough that I could've listen them off the top of my head (as I could with pretty much every other FF). And I have played every FF game, daddy.

Btw, another tangent to the previous game. Can someone please explain to me how they were just able to make a replica Monado? I thought the whole point was that it was this magic sword?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:24:51 AM by timmyFd »

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 14, 2015, 02:36:56 AM »
@Aeolus, Dice, Ranadiel, those were interesting story tidbits. I pretty much have the same feeling as Dice; it looks like the story is probably gonna be set-up for a sequel. At least I hope it's not DLC. The blank slate/silent protag main character has me worried, but as long the rest of the characters and story works out, I"ll be happy. In any case, I guess we'll have to wait till the game comes out here.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 14, 2015, 04:34:47 AM »
Btw, another tangent to the previous game. Can someone please explain to me how they were just able to make a replica Monado? I thought the whole point was that it was this magic sword?

Anyone can apparently form their own Monado. Shulk's just further along in his ability to do so since he got a ton of training on Zanza's, and what's-her-tits (thanks cutscene camera) merely reverse engineered the physical part of the blade while letting Shulk do the rest. It mostly rested on the fact that original Shulk died, Zanza revived him due to physical similarities, then put a piece of himself inside while using Shulk's personality as a facade until the point where Shulk came into contact with Zanza's current host where he fully transmigrated into Shulk and waited until Meyna showed up with her host/Monados where he finally hijacked Shulk's body and claimed both Monados as his own. It just so happened that Shulk's original personality reformed based upon Zanza's facade and Shulk's memories prior to the incident which implied that he was his own person and was even able to defy Zanza's false god powers/design, which is the basis on which he forms his own Monado.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 15, 2015, 10:14:31 PM »

Anyone can apparently form their own Monado. Shulk's just further along in his ability to do so since he got a ton of training on Zanza's, and what's-her-tits (thanks cutscene camera) merely reverse engineered the physical part of the blade while letting Shulk do the rest. It mostly rested on the fact that original Shulk died, Zanza revived him due to physical similarities, then put a piece of himself inside while using Shulk's personality as a facade until the point where Shulk came into contact with Zanza's current host where he fully transmigrated into Shulk and waited until Meyna showed up with her host/Monados where he finally hijacked Shulk's body and claimed both Monados as his own. It just so happened that Shulk's original personality reformed based upon Zanza's facade and Shulk's memories prior to the incident which implied that he was his own person and was even able to defy Zanza's false god powers/design, which is the basis on which he forms his own Monado.

Eugh. The grand tradition of JRPGs of having awful final 3rds. It was still a great game overall but it did follow the typical formula of FF8, FF9, FF10 (and many others) of getting about 2/3 of the way through the game and then just explaining everything that'd happened in terms of madey-uppey metaphysics. I don't know why they feel that urge to do that and why they feel like it'd be so unsatisfactory to actually explain everything in the frame of reference that you've come to understand throughout the main bulk of the game.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 15, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »

Eugh. The grand tradition of JRPGs of having awful final 3rds. It was still a great game overall but it did follow the typical formula of FF8, FF9, FF10 (and many others) of getting about 2/3 of the way through the game and then just explaining everything that'd happened in terms of madey-uppey metaphysics. I don't know why they feel that urge to do that and why they feel like it'd be so unsatisfactory to actually explain everything in the frame of reference that you've come to understand throughout the main bulk of the game.

Its a Xeno game. What did you expect? Frankly, the fact that it didn't end up as some multipart monstrosity is nothing short of a miracle.

And what I described wasn't even the worst of it.