Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318913 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wind Waker U
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Wind Waker U  (Read 7844 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »

"Zelda: Wind Waker HD can't use any dungeons that were missing in the original version. That's because they were used in future Zeldas likely Twilight Princess and/or Skyward Sword.

Aonuma talked about Wind Waker's cut dungeons and the decision to avoid adding new ones in the HD re-release in an interview with Eurogamer:

"Quite honestly, those dungeons we removed we used in other games, so we can't use them in this version!"

"I've received many questions about additional content beyond what was in the GameCube version of the game, but our desire is to stay true of the story that was in the original. If we add dungeons then that will affect other parts of the GameCube version, which we really want to stay true to. If it felt like there were maybe too few dungeons then I feel that what was wrong with the GameCube version was the pacing. It was thrown off because it took longer to get to certain dungeons. There was a waiting period, and then when you arrived there the experience maybe didn't feel as big, as you'd waited so long to get there. We're tuning the game to alleviate all that. The pacing should feel appropriate to the overall experience this time... we need to tighten those [gaps] and make the overall experience and story feel tighter."

Unfortunately, Aonuma couldn't reveal which dungeons were cut in Wind Waker and used in other Zeldas."

Source: Nintendo Everything (via: Eurogamer)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »

"Zelda: Wind Waker HD can't use any dungeons that were missing in the original version. That's because they were used in future Zeldas likely Twilight Princess and/or Skyward Sword.

Aonuma talked about Wind Waker's cut dungeons and the decision to avoid adding new ones in the HD re-release in an interview with Eurogamer:

"Quite honestly, those dungeons we removed we used in other games, so we can't use them in this version!"

"I've received many questions about additional content beyond what was in the GameCube version of the game, but our desire is to stay true of the story that was in the original. If we add dungeons then that will affect other parts of the GameCube version, which we really want to stay true to. If it felt like there were maybe too few dungeons then I feel that what was wrong with the GameCube version was the pacing. It was thrown off because it took longer to get to certain dungeons. There was a waiting period, and then when you arrived there the experience maybe didn't feel as big, as you'd waited so long to get there. We're tuning the game to alleviate all that. The pacing should feel appropriate to the overall experience this time... we need to tighten those [gaps] and make the overall experience and story feel tighter."

Unfortunately, Aonuma couldn't reveal which dungeons were cut in Wind Waker and used in other Zeldas."

Source: Nintendo Everything (via: Eurogamer)

Well that's kinda disappointing. I was hoping that they'd at least do something, even if its something new, for the end game rather than revisit Forsaken Fortress, collect the Elemental Arrows, collect the Iron Boots/Power Bracelets, go through the last two dungeons, then collect the triumph forks and storm Ganon's Tower for the Light Arrows and the final battles.

With that said, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and suspect the second and sixth dungeons in TP were probably pulled from WW.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »

Thinking about it though, it'd be a pain in the ass to implement a new dungeon to an already full plot (because then you gotta spring *why* there's a new dungeon and all that). 
Also, they're making the 3DS game, and they've been [make it sound like they've] really been working on the WiiU game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »

Thinking about it though, it'd be a pain in the ass to implement a new dungeon to an already full plot (because then you gotta spring *why* there's a new dungeon and all that).  
Also, they're making the 3DS game, and they've been [make it sound like they've] really been working on the WiiU game.

Yeah, I suspected that this was the case, which unfortunately for me means that there really isn't enough to justify getting this again. I typically get remakes when they address the problems with the original (or provide something useful like portability), but to me, the biggest problem with OG WW was the feeling of it being incomplete. Sure, getting a faster ship is nice, but my one of my biggest hopes in my original run through of WW was of finding a Treasure Island like environment (kinda like the Gerudo's Training Grounds in OoT but on a larger scale (like say an island bigger than Outset with maybe a small jungle, a few caves, and a mountain with a waterfall) but it didn't happen then and it doesn't look to be happening now.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »

Yeah, I suspected that this was the case, which unfortunately for me means that there really isn't enough to justify getting this again. I typically get remakes when they address the problems with the original (or provide something useful like portability), but to me, the biggest problem with OG WW was the feeling of it being incomplete. Sure, getting a faster ship is nice, but my one of my biggest hopes in my original run through of WW was of finding a Treasure Island like environment (kinda like the Gerudo's Training Grounds in OoT but on a larger scale (like say an island bigger than Outset with maybe a small jungle, a few caves, and a mountain with a waterfall) but it didn't happen then and it doesn't look to be happening now.

That's actually a good point, and certainly "exploring" in WW was rather.....meh.  Usually it'd be an outcropping of rocks or one of those retarded cave mazes that you have to blow up stuff and come with a FULL arsenal of bombs.
And given the context of the world, the fact that half the treasures are just stuck in the ocean than by any other means kinda sucks the joy from it (daresay, it'd be interesting if they pulled an Uncharted or Assassin's Creed [Ezio Trilogy]: When those games made you go treasure hunting you went for the FULL Indiana Jones experience and came close to death at least 10 times or more -- but hot damn, it was exciting).

I *definitely* think the Zelda series needs to be reworked.  I'd KILL if we saw something that could still stick to its roots, but maybe made itself more open world or present itself like Xenoblade series almost does.  And for fuck's sake....make Zelda playable already (she was definitely stronger than Link, IMO, in Smash Bros games).  I'm like 99% sure that Skyrim outsold Skyward Sword even despite the "classic" status the series has.  I unfortunately do think the series just kept its roots a little too close to their heart.

Lasly, LET LINK JUMP.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »

I *definitely* think the Zelda series needs to be reworked.  I'd KILL if we saw something that could still stick to its roots, but maybe made itself more open world or present itself like Xenoblade series almost does.  And for fuck's sake....make Zelda playable already (she was definitely stronger than Link, IMO, in Smash Bros games).  I'm like 99% sure that Skyrim outsold Skyward Sword even despite the "classic" status the series has.  I unfortunately do think the series just kept its roots a little too close to their heart.

Lasly, LET LINK JUMP.

But Link could jump in Zelda 2 (there's even a spell named Jump), LA, both Oracle games, MC, and 4SA.

Also IMHO, Zelda has been lower than Link on the SSB tier list for both games she's been in. She's rather slow in her normal form and doesn't benefit from the extra weight that guys like Bowser and Ganondorf do whereas Link isn't superfast either but he's fleet-footed enough. Moreover, Zelda's smash and aerial attacks have sort of a gimmicky sweet spot on them which makes lining up a solid finishing blow rather difficult to do, whereas all of Link's attacks benefit from the extra reach his sword provides, his smash attacks give him solid coverage (plus his forward smash can be followed up on by a stronger attack or cancelled out of), and his downward thrust and upward stab have excellent power (and the former can be chained into a two hit combo), and Zelda's alterego Sheik has terrible sending power on her smash attacks (and in general really). And while Zelda generally has the superior B moves with Nayru's Love being a quick barrier/deflector, Din's Fire being crap in Melee and one of the best ranged attacks in Brawl, and Farore's Wind being a decent recovery move, Link's B moves can do decently in skilled hands with the Boomerang having excellent control and disruptive capability though less of the latter as time has moved on (and the Gale Boomerang can push enemies and items towards you instead for both good and ill), the Bombs have the greatest degree of flexibility and progressively lessening power as the games go on (in theory a bomb be pulled and held in mid air to perform a self denotation and allow the use of a second recovery move, but I've never gotten the trick to work before since its rather circuitous and the benefits aren't that great even with perfect application), the Bow offers a fast direct attack with much longer range than either of the other items, and the Spin Attack is a great disruptive move but a kinda bad recovery move, and Sheik's B moves mostly suck since they either aren't worth the damage to charge up or leave her too prone to use in close quarters though her recovery move is alright but doesn't have the range that Zelda's does and the Transformation move that Zelda/Sheik uses is complete ass since it takes 3 seconds to pull off and has no offensive or defensive capability whatsoever.

Now granted, at the rate they've been nerfing Link and buffing Zelda, she might finally be able to overtake him in SSB4.

/SSB :spergin:

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »

^

While hardly on topic with a new Zelda game discussion:
It depends.  Tiers are great and all, but for semi-casual, semi-competitive play I was able to use her like a champion and was (not to toot my own horn) able to school the people I played with or at least keep matches competitive.  I never really used Sheik, if I did, it was by accident and maybe rolled with it till I could get away and change back.  I'm not and usually not a part of tournaments, so I can't guage those players and tiers but from my personal experiences with my group; either way I found her really enjoyable to use, tiers or no (but if you do want to go on with tiers, of the higher ranks I also rock ass with Toon Link, Ice Climbaz, and Marth). 

I also hate tiers because you can use the "lowest tier'd" character against a "high tiered" one, a level of skill does come from the player.  If someone sucks dick at using Meta Knight, then little is going to help you from owning the battle field if everyone else is simply a better/experienced player.  ((again, I'm saying this as a tounrey-avoider)

Petty issue: I actually get annoyed with players who stick to one character, I also like to think of myself as a player who is a "jack of all trades", but master of none.  I like having fun with a bit of everyone.

And with respect to letting Link jump, too many games made his jumping contingent on an item that makes him jump. 
And I hate that, it wastes a slot and shouldn't be that big a deal to implement (could make for a new adjunct to gameplay).

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2013, 02:26:36 AM »

^

While hardly on topic with a new Zelda game discussion:
It depends.  Tiers are great and all, but for semi-casual, semi-competitive play I was able to use her like a champion and was (not to toot my own horn) able to school the people I played with or at least keep matches competitive.  I never really used Sheik, if I did, it was by accident and maybe rolled with it till I could get away and change back.  I'm not and usually not a part of tournaments, so I can't guage those players and tiers but from my personal experiences with my group; either way I found her really enjoyable to use, tiers or no (but if you do want to go on with tiers, of the higher ranks I also rock ass with Toon Link, Ice Climbaz, and Marth). 

I also hate tiers because you can use the "lowest tier'd" character against a "high tiered" one, a level of skill does come from the player.  If someone sucks dick at using Meta Knight, then little is going to help you from owning the battle field if everyone else is simply a better/experienced player.  ((again, I'm saying this as a tounrey-avoider)

Petty issue: I actually get annoyed with players who stick to one character, I also like to think of myself as a player who is a "jack of all trades", but master of none.  I like having fun with a bit of everyone.

And with respect to letting Link jump, too many games made his jumping contingent on an item that makes him jump. 
And I hate that, it wastes a slot and shouldn't be that big a deal to implement (could make for a new adjunct to gameplay).

I was mostly joking about SSB tiers/basing it upon personal experiences. Frankly, half the online games I've played on Brawl was with opponents that were outright cheating, and I've only ever played one competitive match and lost horribly (and I used to be so good with Melee Ganondorf too).

As for jumping being tied to items, I don't mind it. Link not being able to Do the Mario normally is no great loss to me since it kinda feels like giving Wolverine super strength, sure he feels like he can achieve greater heights then what it says on his character sheet, but he seriously can't without some kind of assistance. Besides, what else is Link going to use that extra inventory space for? A fourth type of bomb? A fourth ranged weapon that's still outright inferior to the boomerang/bow? A book to translate a tablet or three? A Step Ladder? Besides, they did make it adjunct to the gameplay in OoT and in every 3D Zelda since.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Screenshots -- Source: All Games Beta

Shiny. @_@'
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2013, 12:33:35 AM »

Shiny. @_@'

No kidding.  While I still feel that, even if it was the more obvious (and thus avoided) choice, Twilight Princess or any other title would have suited an HD remake much more.

Nevertheless, this is quite lovely, I'm sure it's even better in motion.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2013, 05:29:17 AM »

Shiny. @_@'

No kidding.  While I still feel that, even if it was the more obvious (and thus avoided) choice, Twilight Princess or any other title would have suited an HD remake much more.

Nevertheless, this is quite lovely, I'm sure it's even better in motion.

I still find it funny that they got rid of the Tingle Tuner when they could've just used the WiiU's game pad. Though I will admit it was pretty game breaking to have bombs on command long before you had access to bombs (also made for a nice treasure radar which was especially useful for fishing up treasures from the sea).

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD 'Hero Mode' Trailer, bundle confirmed -- Source: All Games Beta
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »

That should be two separate options. I wouldn't want to not be able to find any hearts. But I'd definitely want double enemy damage. Everything's such a lightweight anyway in zelda games. Double damage would be like being able to upgrade to 'normal' difficulty.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2013/08/nintendo-drops-wii-u-price-confirms-zelda-bundle

The WiiU is getting a Zelda Bundle, but more importantly, it's getting a price drop.

Also, fuck you Europe.

Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2013/08/nintendo-drops-wii-u-price-confirms-zelda-bundle

The WiiU is getting a Zelda Bundle, but more importantly, it's getting a price drop.

Also, fuck you Europe.

Wow-ee does NA get the short of the stick in that deal or what...? I am going to pick up a Wii-U in the not so distant future. The euro deal would've had me sold. If I buy Windwaker I want the Ganondorf figurine damnit!

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: