Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 05:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327206 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Print
Author Topic: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  (Read 18420 times)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

lol 250 familiars is like the first 2 generations of pokemon combined, don't know if I have the patience to get all of them.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2013, 08:41:41 AM »

lol 250 familiars is like the first 2 generations of pokemon combined, don't know if I have the patience to get all of them.

Oh man I don't know how long that would take to get all 250....I was trying to tame a napcap in the grove last night. Damn thing kept running away and is so fast I could never catch it, finally did tame one that was in another enemy group. It seems like that merit card that supposedly allows you to sneak up on enemies doesn't help much, if at all...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:27:44 AM by Datastorm » Logged

doh
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »

Getting 250 familiars is far easier than those damn scrolls of truth...
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »

Before I got the game I was considering trying to platinum it but now that I've seen how long it can take to get some familiars I honrstly won't even try.
If there is one thing I can't put myself throught (for too long) is those infamous drop rates some games have. Luckily you don't need to care about it at all to enjoy the game, I'm just going out of my way to get 2 familiars from the beginning which are considered good for the end game since I learned Mitey gets pret bad pretty soon.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »

I think the biggest problem with the post game grind in this game, is that there isn't that much to do, and what is there isn't hard at all. I was able to wipe the floor with the last bounty quests, and the secret boss I could beat on my 2nd try.

Would've been nice if additional dungeons or islands opened up to give you a bit more to explore.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »

Before I got the game I was considering trying to platinum it but now that I've seen how long it can take to get some familiars I honrstly won't even try.
If there is one thing I can't put myself throught (for too long) is those infamous drop rates some games have. Luckily you don't need to care about it at all to enjoy the game, I'm just going out of my way to get 2 familiars from the beginning which are considered good for the end game since I learned Mitey gets pret bad pretty soon.

any trophies that rely on purely on odds... and in this case, bad odds... without any degree of real challenge beyond having the patience to deal with the tedium are a real turn off for me too....

I'm starting to think I may never get a platinum....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »

I used Mitey all the way through the end of the regular game with no issues at all. Mitey is a pretty solid familiar, especially for one that is given to you from the get go.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »

I used Mitey all the way through the end of the regular game with no issues at all. Mitey is a pretty solid familiar, especially for one that is given to you from the get go.

I used mitey the whole game as well.... as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the game allows enough freedom to use any familiar you like really... in other words, you don't have to feel restricted to the most battle worthy combatants to (easily) make it through the whole title....  I leveled up and used a ton that were relatively worthless compared to those of my team that were more competent just because I thought they were cool/cute...

The wisp, the cog thing, the zombie, tyke's and a bunch of others all were in my party for good stretches.... mitey and the monkey never left my party from the beginning (love the monkey!!!).....

when times would get tough late game I'd call out my evolved kitty appropriately named Puhr along with a few other choice selections.... keeping two or 3 solid familiars in your group is plenty to allow you to look at the other slots as "just for fun" whilst still keeping the game pretty freakin' easy.....

so in short... my advice.... raise em cause you love em.... raise em because their movement speed and attack rate are fast making the gameplay in battle way more enjoyable.... but don't even bother feeling it necessary to judge them based on their individual statistical prowess unless you REALLY feel the need to make things extremely easy.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »

On a related note, I'm doing post-game content and trying to get the trophy for unlocking all the merit awards.  It's just not worth it.  So much grinding it's ridiculous.  The alchemy quest is by far the worst and I ran around for 20-30 minutes and fought 3-4 of the required enemy, but never was able to steal the correct item.  It's just bad luck, but annoying none the less.
Getting 250 familiars is far easier than those damn scrolls of truth...

The 250 familiars thing is annoying to me because it's random.  Unless I missed something, which I don't believe I did, it's just too random when the pink hearts go above their head so you can "tame" them.  That part alone makes me not even want to try.  Depending on how they figure out the 225 number, I figure I may have 100-120 at best.  No thanks.  If tokocolds were less rare, I would consider raising them if that worked.

As for scrolls of truth, my quoted post alluded the same thing, but the funny thing is, I read a few new strategies to try out last night and decided to try again since it's gold.  I shit you not, it took about 45 minutes to get 5 scrolls of truth.  No clue if it was luck, the strategy worked, or both but I did it.  (By 45 mins, I mean just that time and not the 20ish minutes I tried earlier). 

Quote from: Klyde Chroma
any trophies that rely on purely on odds... and in this case, bad odds... without any degree of real challenge beyond having the patience to deal with the tedium are a real turn off for me too...

Agreed.  The alchemy one (120 different items) would require far too much grinding for me to care.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:46:20 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »

I was never able to get the strategy to work.
Code:
A big part of it is getting the damn enemy to spawn, and then I couldn't get the gold glibs to pop either.

For me, I was able to tame and morph ~160 familiars through regular play, and have several familiars just sitting in reserve. Most of them can be leveled and morphed in a few battles from the last dungeon.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »

Which strategy did you use?  The easiest way to get the mobs to spawn was to literally fight -everything- in the tunnels.  Some people said that honky-tonkers (or whichever) were rare in other packs, but I disagree.  I found them more often through other packs than solo.  I probably only found a couple on the actual screen and I wasn't always able to get a gold glim to appear either.

The strategy I used was fight everything until you find the mob.  Make sure Oliver has his oldest wand equipped and Esther and Swaine are set to do nothing while continually defending via the square button.  Most of the mobs did not cast many abilities so defending over and over again is tedious.  Instead, I would slowly pick off each enemy with Pulse (because it always gives a Nice!) until I was down to the honky-tonker.  I'd then run around until he casted an ability on Oliver which I would defend.  I'd do a few of those to build up more Nice!s and then slowly whittle his health down with pulse.  Sometimes I got golden glims, often I did not.  When he had a sliver of health left, I'd switch to Swaine and try stealing it.  I don't know if Nice!s increase the chance to steal rare items from the enemy, but it honestly felt that way to me.  Before I tried this strategy, I just would try stealing from them.  I tried it 6 or 7 times and got crappy stuff.  Then, using the mix of pulse+defending the body blow ability, the rate of getting scrolls of truth was high; easily above 50% I'd say.  Also chance of getting gold glims was so-so.  Maybe got 2 in 10-15 battles, which could be worse.  Oliver was level 95 when I did this and his magic stat was so high even with everything I could unequipped and using his lowest wand, he was still around 350 magic.  If I was lower level using the pulse trick, I'm somewhat confident I could have gotten more gold glims.

Hope this helps.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »

I didn't fight everything when I did the synthesis materials, I respawned the monsters by running back and forth. It's fairly mindless either way you do it, and the Scrolls of Truth only took me 30 minutes or so. I didn't bother with the Golden Glims at all, just stealing normally was sufficient. The real pain was just about every drop from the sleepy gold dragons.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »

Got my scrolls finally last night. Spent almost 2 hours and go 0. Took a break and came back later and got 4 in about 45 minutes.

I have 190 familars captured right now, and enough in reserve that I can morph up to 250, it'll just take a while to level them all.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »

Got my scrolls finally last night. Spent almost 2 hours and go 0. Took a break and came back later and got 4 in about 45 minutes.

I have 190 familars captured right now, and enough in reserve that I can morph up to 250, it'll just take a while to level them all.
Tokotoko and tokocols have something to say about that.

TASTY!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2013, 12:53:48 PM »

So...let's see I'm at level 43 with Oliver, I have about 55 familiars and I just left the area where the pirate is at, forgot his name already (a little over 50 hours logged so far) and right now I am simply fighting in the cliff area around Mamoon leveling up some newer familiars I got. And so far I love pretty much everything about this  game. The side quests keep me occupied and yet not too bored, I love the art style and the battle system/alchemy/familiar raising is complex enough to keep me interested but not so difficult as to turn me off. And thanks Agent D I took what you said to heart and I don't leave any area until everything is running scared! I know some have said the game gets worse as it goes but so far I simply love it.

Everything's Eventual
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: