Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 01:57:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319060 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  (Read 15282 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

Surpised no topic yet, and the original one is sort of outdated, so yeah.

Came out tuesday, and I've been playing it almost non stop. Game's amazing, though it's definitely a familiar feel. Reminds me of Dragon Quest VIII, minus the dragonball characters everywhere. It looks great, it handles well, and the music is pretty nice. I will admit, the voice acting is meh at times, you can tell everyone's English and doing american accents left and right. Drippy's comical in small doses, and thankfully he only talks in cutscenes and not much in battle. Speaking of battle, the battle system is pretty simple to work with, but the level of micromanagement will be astounding later on. The difficulty isn't out of this world, but you quickly start relying on mp and your AI party members eat it faster than you can gather it back. It sort of warrants power leveling early, though once you start getting more familiars, you'll want to try swapping out your current party with the new ones and find your preference, so exp accrual shouldn't be terribly boring. I can't really go much further into detail as I think I'm still not terribly far (15 hours?) and feel that I've barely tapped the surface of the game.

If you're looking for a solid rpg with a huge world and a cutesy overtone, this game is your answer. Also, talk to some of the NPCs, you may get as lucky as I did and come across the single funniest line in a video game...("Yay. Pee-pee time." spoken by a small girl near a tree...laighed for 20 minutes).

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »

I loved that pee-pee girl  She's so excited!  And I feel the same about those special times, I just don't say it out loud. :D

The dialogue is really drab, and Drippy's humour isn't consistent* and unfortunately spends a lot of time trying to explain things to Oliver -- who doesn't understand a goddamn thing that's explained to him and thus requires another 20 pages of dialogue.  I wish Level-5 could hire some better writers.

DRIPPY?  WHUT DOES MAGIC SPELL "SPRING LOCK" DO???  or something along those lines...

I recently opened up with Wizard's Companion.  That thing is brilliant (but needs characters section, unless I missed it...the thing is massive).

This game is 100% Ghibli.  It's simple, it's nice, it does "cliche" well, and hits a soft spot.  It looks pretty, it's "magical", it sounds great, and doesn't take many risks!  It's filled with charm at least.

*(and reading his dialogue will probably get tiring for anyone except Starmongoose who's probably used to strange and bizarre and exotic accents???)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »

i'm having a great time with it so far. i love drippy. i love that he calls oliver a cry baby for crying about his mom for three days.

before the demo i was worried the combat would be to easy. after the demo i was thinking it maybe super difficult at points. but i'm glad they have slowly doled out the commands so i feel it's got a pretty good middle ground going on. i just finished the temple of trials. i'm naming all my familiars the goofiest names i can.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »

i'm naming all my familiars the goofiest names i can.

Mightarded is my main thing with the sword.
Boogibitch is my ghost.
Shitcake is that fairy.
HOTAMBU is that sun-like thing... I get worried about doing this because if I ever look up a FAQ on how to upgrade or find them, I won't know their real names. D:

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:12:03 AM »

The launch for the Wizard's Edition appears to be quite the clusterfuck.

It's really too bad Namco botched this, there was a ton of good will going towards this game and it's being squandered.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:18:45 AM »

Admittedly I'd blame Digital River more than Namco, not that they're faultless since they had the brilliant idea to make the WE a clubNamco exclusive rather than just make it some online only GameStop/Amazon thing, but DR has a track record of fucking this up all over the place YET EVERYONE SEEMS TO WANT TO USE THEM.

But, I probably won't care about any clubNamco exclusive LE of theirs. Actually, given how the Dark Souls LE turned out it's probably best not to care about any Namco Bandai LE.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »

I kind of like the constant reiteration of how things are done. It's nice to get that feeling of handholding right now, because fighting can be a kick in the groin. Also, as awesome as the wizard's compendium is, I think the writing may have been rushed somewhat. I found a typo in one of the stories (prince and the lion). Not huge, but it's a statement to the editor for not catching it.

I have renamed all of my familiars except Esther's and Swaine's initial familiar. My mighty mite is known as Dingus, and true to his name, he has accidentally attacked a number of catchable familiars on me....fucking Dingus.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »

I kind of like the constant reiteration of how things are done. It's nice to get that feeling of handholding right now, because fighting can be a kick in the groin. Also, as awesome as the wizard's compendium is, I think the writing may have been rushed somewhat. I found a typo in one of the stories (prince and the lion). Not huge, but it's a statement to the editor for not catching it.

I have renamed all of my familiars except Esther's and Swaine's initial familiar. My mighty mite is known as Dingus, and true to his name, he has accidentally attacked a number of catchable familiars on me....fucking Dingus.

Argh!  Yeah, same keeps happening for me, which is brutal for the quest...
Long the names.

And yeah... lots of angry nerd rage about the LEs.  I wonder how they'll compensate lots o' angry people. =/

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »

I'm one of those angry people waiting for a WE right now.  I've received no notifications from Namco or DR about my order.  I called to make sure it was still processed (some people got an email on the day of release saying their orders were canceled) and only by pouring over the Namco forums was I able to find a way to check my UPS package using the original order reference number.  This whole thing is terrible.  I'm hoping to get my copy by the end of next week. 
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »

I honestly don't know why so many companies use Digital River as a vendor for their ecommerce stores.  Digital River is HORRIBLE from just about every perspective - data, customer service, and communication.  All are quite poor.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:57 AM »

Based on message board responses (take that as you will...), it looks like they overstocked the WE orders and were forced to cancel a ton of sales.  Looks like I'm still getting one as of now.  I still have a charge on my credit card, the UPS tracking number is ready to go once it ships, and the DR rep said I was still good.  I'm going to call again this afternoon.  I have a sneaking suspicion that even though I purchased this damn thing back in August I'm going to end up screwed in the end.  

In any event, there will be much ranting on the next podcast...
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »

I am knee-deep in Ni No right now myself and loving it!!... I was gonna start this thread myself but sort of figured I'd leave that to someone else since I just had the "xbox before ni no" thread-LoL

All I can say thus far is that in my humble opinion... THIS IS what more JRPGs should have evolved to be.... as much as I enjoy the strange gammut of niche titles that have come down the JRPG pipe in recent years, this is the classic formula evolved correctly in my eyes...

I don't feel comfortable saying one way or the other yet (I'm only at about 5.5 hours in) but I'm pleased in every regard so far.....

And from someone who doesn't care for Ghibli (oddly enough.....) this is, without a doubt, the prettiest JRPG I've seen in years.....

By the way.... the "pee-pee time" girl threw me off..... i thought for sure there was some relevance to that randomness.... I went straight to her when I needed some enthusiasm for the king (i turned off that star indicator thing right from the door)....

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »

I picked up my copy, navigating my way around the "real men don't play cartoony games" guy who's been the bane of my existence for several months now, but I have to wait until the 2nd of February to play it because a friend of mine demanded that I wait till she visits to start it. I did install it and redeemed the code for the DLC familiar I got with the pre-order (Flutterby) and watched the opening video you get if you leave the title screen long enough. I think they dubbed the song. But from my brief impression, it is very pretty.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »

Finally got an update on my Wizard's Edition.  UPS says it should come in by the end of the day on Monday.

So let's recap; I pay nearly 110 dollars for a special edition that comes in six days after release.  Yeah...
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »

Finally got an update on my Wizard's Edition.  UPS says it should come in by the end of the day on Monday.

So let's recap; I pay nearly 110 dollars for a special edition that comes in six days after release.  Yeah...

I am still jealous.... i wanted that freakin' wizards edition BAD..... with how much time I spend reading about things to come I don't know how I missed out.... thats what I get for listening to the gamestop guys who told me there is no special pre-order bonus available exclusively in the US through the company... took them at their word... foolish klyde was.... foolish....

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: