Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:32:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327399 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  (Read 18555 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:05 AM »

Well, they stockpiled when there was no hard limit on how many you could get, so they undoubtedly also caused 200+ more to be produced. It can be frustrating they get to hog that many while people either had the poor luck of getting orders canned or simply didn't have a good opportunity to order, but if they didn't make that order very little about this situation would've likely changed.

I don't think anyone can say that a scalper getting all their orders when individual customer orders are getting canceled left and right is in any way fair.

Unless there was a hard limit on how may were going to get produced period they only caused more copies to be made. It certainly LOOKS bad scalpers get that many, but in the end it doesn't matter as everyone missing their orders likely still would have: depending on how they rounded the numbers to produce there may well have even been a few more spares made.

More importantly, few would care that much if everyone that ordered got their copies properly. So what if scalpers got 200, on the bright side that means there's more out there and people who never placed an order would have a second chance, even if it's a ridiculously expensive one, versus no second chance at all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 04:22:55 AM »

So what if scalpers got 200, on the bright side that means there's more out there and people who never placed an order would have a second chance, even if it's a ridiculously expensive one, versus no second chance at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »

I'll have to second the notion that this game reminds me of DQ8. I loved DQ8, so I should love this game. I've only put three hours in, but this game really does remind me of why I fell in love with RPGs when I was younger. It does seem to require grinding, but thankfully there are enough side quests to do in the game that make the grind more fun.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »

My PS3 is coming back from Sony tomorrow, apparently, and I'm going to pick up Ni no Kuni tomorrow as well. So it looks like I'll be playing this game much sooner than expected.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »

All this "Witch Edition" talk bested me this morning..... I couldn't take having missed this LE.......... games are the only thing I collect really.... I don't drink, go to the movies, eat out and have not bought an outfit in nearly 4 years (you see I am justifying the frivalous purchase I am about to announce)....... so I ordered the german LE when I discovered the book is in english (the book is the only thing I really wanted)....

for anyone else who was uber-pissed off they missed this LE.... http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008JR9IOK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »

I don't know if it's because I haven't played a true JRPG in a long time or not, but the 5 or so hours I've put into this game so far seems to be the funnest 5 hours I've put into a JRPG, ever. I was bound to like it anyway simply because Studio Ghibli was doing the art/animation, but wow... the beautiful art and graphics aside, the game excels in every area. The familiar apsect scared me, but it's not really like Pokemon at all. Having a modern word to go to is nice (and rare). The ways they utitlize magic outside fo comabt is awesome, as is the ability to not only feed and strengthem your familiars but to arm them with weapnms and armor as well. About as perfect game as I can think of. Pretty deep too... 5 hours in and I still don't really know how to use items or heal while in battle... I guess you have to switch back to Oliver to do these things?
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »

i'm naming all my familiars the goofiest names i can.

Mightarded is my main thing with the sword.
Boogibitch is my ghost.
Shitcake is that fairy.
HOTAMBU is that sun-like thing... I get worried about doing this because if I ever look up a FAQ on how to upgrade or find them, I won't know their real names. D:

haha yeah, i named my first one stabby, my sprite danky, i named one of my healer spirit things dr honky... if you forget what they are called you can look them up in your wizard book.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:19:46 PM by beLIEve? » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

This feels so much like DQVIII it's not even funny. I swear if my character can go super high tension (*cough*supersaiyan), I'm calling shenanigans.

TASTY!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »

So apparently Amazon Germany is shipping the WE internationally for anyone interested.

The book that comes with it is in English.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 09:33:26 PM »

So what if scalpers got 200, on the bright side that means there's more out there and people who never placed an order would have a second chance, even if it's a ridiculously expensive one, versus no second chance at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Well, whether there's more out there due to the scalpers is a matter of fact, not opinion: they either made 200+ more because they got 200+ orders through them, or they didn't and had a hidden limit. As long as it's the former than it would've made no difference.

Whether you feel it's fair or not... frankly, it isn't, but that's more because they should've just produced more of the LE and sold it through GameStop/Amazon too, they know how to handle orders better than Digital River, we can get the game on release day, and we don't have to be gouged on shipping. Just through Digital River though it's the fact they had their system set up in a shitty way that's the most unfair: people got their hopes up, people who ordered months ago got orders canceled, and because a Customer Service-only purchase link got leaked a lot of people fairly or not managed to place orders and run off with the WE anyway. If their systems weren't awful then Play Canada's order really would just be extra LEs out there, and likely driving prices down in the long run owing to that fact.

Well, at least they're handing out the guide to those who got screwed over, hopefully they got an order in on Amazon's German site at least.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 09:58:26 PM »

Anyone but me noticing that using Oliver is never the wise thing to do? Whenever I use him instead of one of the familiars he gets his ass whooped. Is there ever a time when you can have more than one person in battle?
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 12:10:14 AM »

So apparently Amazon Germany is shipping the WE internationally for anyone interested.

The book that comes with it is in English.

....... So my post a few back wasn't good enough notice huh?......
All this "Witch Edition" talk bested me this morning..... I couldn't take having missed this LE.......... games are the only thing I collect really.... I don't drink, go to the movies, eat out and have not bought an outfit in nearly 4 years (you see I am justifying the frivalous purchase I am about to announce)....... so I ordered the german LE when I discovered the book is in english (the book is the only thing I really wanted)....

for anyone else who was uber-pissed off they missed this LE.... http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008JR9IOK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

what the goodness man...? I feel overlooked and ignored.... maybe I need a prettier avatar.... in all honesty ever since I changed my avatar from the original one I drew myself I have had an avatar identity crisis..... I think I need to hand-draw all my avatars to be happy..... ok, I am getting side tracked.... back on topic!

Anyone but me noticing that using Oliver is never the wise thing to do? Whenever I use him instead of one of the familiars he gets his ass whooped. Is there ever a time when you can have more than one person in battle?

I have occasionally found Oliver's offensive spells to be handy (and obviously his ability to heal is of utility)... but I imagine those aspects of Oliver will be outclassed by familiars as I get further.... and as far as your question as to multiple party members, that is an affirmative sir.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:11:59 AM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 04:11:36 AM »

The more I play this game, the more it feels like I've been there and done that already. I love it, don't get me wrong. It's all the good memories and deja vu I'm experiencing, like going to.a restaurant you haven't been to in years and it's still great, or watching an old movie you loved way back when and it still entertains you significantly. I'm mildly dissappointed by this realization, but not by the game itself. I guess it's safe to say I've played too many games and am not easily surprised.

Still, don't let it sway you, this game is great. Music is solid, story is cheesy and full of typical jrpg plot development that works well instead of stupidly, combat gets exceedingly more second nature as you mess around, and the fetch quests aren't so mind numbingly boring as to make you hate the game (xenoblade, fucking rage). Seriously, if you call yourself a long time rpg fan, you should play this game. There's enough in every other department that hating one aspect of it shouldn't stop you from enjoying it.

TASTY!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »

I don't know if it's because I haven't played a true JRPG in a long time or not, but the 5 or so hours I've put into this game so far seems to be the funnest 5 hours I've put into a JRPG, ever. I was bound to like it anyway simply because Studio Ghibli was doing the art/animation, but wow... the beautiful art and graphics aside, the game excels in every area. The familiar apsect scared me, but it's not really like Pokemon at all. Having a modern word to go to is nice (and rare). The ways they utitlize magic outside fo comabt is awesome, as is the ability to not only feed and strengthem your familiars but to arm them with weapnms and armor as well. About as perfect game as I can think of. Pretty deep too... 5 hours in and I still don't really know how to use items or heal while in battle... I guess you have to switch back to Oliver to do these things?

Switch to Oliver, and scroll over to Provisions. You can also go to Spells and cast healing touch.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »

One thing this game doesn't have that a lot of other JRPG's  do are those long awkward pauses during conversation where sometimes characters say half of what they are going to say... stare blankly... then finish. Did Ghibli write this game too? Because the dialog seems to flow better than other Level 5 games.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: