Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 07:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331621 Posts in 13577 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  (Read 20907 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:04 AM »

Ignore Parn, he doesn't like slapstick humor. The scene was fairly funny.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »

Ignore Parn, he doesn't like slapstick humor. The scene was fairly funny.

It was ok.  They should have just had the Brit voice actor's write something.  I mean, they're British!  They're full o' wit in stuff.  More gold comes from the weirdos and kindhearted douchebags here than they had a whole routine for (and you magically gave them "haha" magic too...it FAILED).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »

Oh cmon, it wasn't that bad. I got a good chuckle out of it. Then again, I enjoy silly humor.

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »

Not that I will ever play this game, but I trust Parn more than anyone else on this board when it comes to honest gaming observations/reviews. The man knows his stuff. #egoboost

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »

For gameplay mechanics and such, he's a very astute observer. For comedy, he left his funnybone in the small dark recesses of his soul. The man didn't enjoy Kung Pow:Enter the Fist. How can I trust his sense of humor???

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »

For gameplay mechanics and such, he's a very astute observer. For comedy, he left his funnybone in the small dark recesses of his soul. The man didn't enjoy Kung Pow:Enter the Fist. How can I trust his sense of humor???
D, I'm pretty sure my tastes align much more closely with Parns than yours. Sense of humor or otherwise. You did actually like Ted after all.
; - )
BTW, I've never seen Kung Pow. It looked atrocious so I avoided it.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kung_pow/
Looks like it was a good call on my part.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »

Now now, girls. I'm sure Parn loves both of you JUSSSST as much as the other.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »

Now now, girls. I'm sure Parn loves both of you JUSSSST as much as the other.
Parn said he doesn't like fatties...

Also, touche grim...touche.

TASTY!
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »

i smiled at that part but i didn't have even slightest notion of a chuckle.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »

i smiled at that part but i didn't have even slightest notion of a chuckle.

I thought it was cute, then ruined when everyone was laughing like it was an evening with richard pryor (or someone).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

Gotta say, the more I play Ni no Kuni the less I like it.  Just got the boat and the third party member and I'm really getting tired of melee characters missing because something is in their way and they won't properly rearrange to engage the enemy.  Also, the AI on your other party members is flat out stupid and gets me killed more than anything else.  Either they use too much MP or nothing, and the lack of a solid middle ground is baffling.  If it weren't for the world and artstyle I would have given up on this game.  The combat can be deep and interesting, but it's also very janky and unruly. 
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

The game to me is another Valkyria Chronicles: a product with a standout cartoony aesthetic that garners the game more love than it honestly deserves.  The game's a fun romp, but we're honestly playing a pretty average RPG.  Next to say, Chrono Trigger or Phantasy Star IV, this game is blatantly inferior in storytelling, character development, gameplay mechanics, etc.

Still having fun though, anyway.  Can't say it'll get a replay anytime soon.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »

Gotta say, the more I play Ni no Kuni the less I like it.  Just got the boat and the third party member and I'm really getting tired of melee characters missing because something is in their way and they won't properly rearrange to engage the enemy.  Also, the AI on your other party members is flat out stupid and gets me killed more than anything else.  Either they use too much MP or nothing, and the lack of a solid middle ground is baffling. 

These are honestly my biggest issues with the game. It's not just the AI, which is undoubtedly a problem, but the pathing in general.  With the very large monsters, your Familiars just don't know where and when to attack.  They'll simply run around it, despite being in range.  And, of course as mentioned, Familiars running into each other pointlessly for the entire attack round.

I mentioned another issue a few pages back, but the true ending really, really soured the experience for me as well.

On the other hand, the final post-game quest had, in my opinion, the most emotional moment in the game.  It saddens me that most people probably won't see it.

Code:
But what the hell was Level 5 thinking?  The entire post-game quest series is the literal rehash of every
boss in the game, recolored.  It was horrible.  I get that they wanted to add extra content, but that's not even new content.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »

The Valkyria Chronicles comparison is very appropriate.  There was a game that I tried desperately to get into (twice!) and could never get around some of the really obnoxious surprises and hard core number screwing that drove me up a wall.  The same problems kept me from loving XCOM: EU, which would have probably been my game of the year if the damn thing wasn't so janky and didn't cheat every five freakin' minutes. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »

Hey now, I love Valkyria Chronicles for the combat and game mechanics more than the presentation or story so I don't think that's a good comparison at all.  Yes, it's unforgiving, but that's a good thing in my mind.  Much like Xcom (which I also love).

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: