Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319157 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Abrams set to direct Star Wars VII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Abrams set to direct Star Wars VII  (Read 3291 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 03:10:35 AM »

I've liked every JJ Abrams film I've seen. Star Wars can only go up from here, and he's got a great team of screenwriters. I am worried 0%.

The guys who wrote the Transformers movies? I am worried 100%

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »

Ugh, I didn't like the new Star Trek movie, and I think that is the only movie of his that I've seen.....so I can't say that I am excited by this news.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »

I've literally never met anyone who didn't like the new Star Trek (I work in the movies section at a library), but I come on here and apparently EVERYONE dislikes it minus like two people...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »

I've literally never met anyone who didn't like the new Star Trek (I work in the movies section at a library), but I come on here and apparently EVERYONE dislikes it minus like two people...

I thought people liked it as well.

I realize it's not "movie-based" figure, but wasn't Star Trek the most profitable TV-to-Movie adaption (making just less than 300 mil worldwide)?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »

I enjoyed it a lot, so seeing a backlash start up after the praise kind of surprises me. Maybe I wasn't viewing it from a serious Star Trek fan perspective though.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »

I'm a big Trek fan in general, and I LIKED the new Star Trek just fine. But it didn't really feel like Star Trek at all, it frankly felt a lot more like Star Wars.

One of the things I always thought was cool about Star Trek in general was that the crews were mostly made up of pretty ordinary people that didn't have super abilities or anything like that. Just people trying to do the best they could in crazy situations. The new Star Trek is totally the opposite of that - everybody is a young super genius who is the best in their class at something or other. It's no longer a bunch of average people who have learned through experience, you know? Chekov is some kind of super math genius, Uhura can hear crazy signals that nobody else can, Kirk is some kind of Luke Skywalker boy of destiny...

I'm not saying it wasn't fun and good, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I even bought the DVD. But as a fan of the old shows and movies, it's really Star Trek in name only and I totally get why old Trek fans don't like it.

It really could have just been "Space Action Movie" instead of having the Star Trek name. And it still would have been fun.

EDIT: Also I think ol' JJ could probably do a pretty good Star Wars movie based on the Star Trek movie he did. The remark about the same director doing Star Trek and Star Wars though is spot on - it's a weird thing to contemplate. :-D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:20:23 AM by dyeager » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

I would hardly consider my feelings on the Star Trek movie a backlash, my feelings are mild-negative. It was an inoffensive action-movie, compared to the very offensive Micheal Bay action movies.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »

I'm a big Trek fan in general, and I LIKED the new Star Trek just fine. But it didn't really feel like Star Trek at all, it frankly felt a lot more like Star Wars.

Perfect! :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »

Perfect! :D

Glad somebody got it. :-D
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »

I've liked every JJ Abrams film I've seen. Star Wars can only go up from here, and he's got a great team of screenwriters. I am worried 0%.

It's not the guys who wrote those. It's Michael Arndt and Lawrence Kasdan. EDIT: Sorry, Kasdan is doing VIII and IX. But Arndt is doing VII. Not Orci or Kurtzmann.

Also, I can appreciate why someone might not like the new Star Trek as compared to the old stuff. It's definitely a different flavor. But as someone that grew up loving Star Wars novels a whole lot more than Star Trek, I was certainly plenty entertained by the new movie.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:16:05 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »

It's not the guys who wrote those. It's Michael Arndt and Lawrence Kasdan.

Also, I can appreciate why someone might not like the new Star Trek as compared to the old stuff. It's definitely a different flavor. But as someone that grew up loving Star Wars novels a whole lot more than Star Trek, I was certainly plenty entertained by the new movie.

Another vote for Abrams on Star Wars based on his work on Star Trek. As an old person we are truly through the looking glass. :-D

As just a thing independent of any baggage, the new Star Trek is fun. As a Star Trek movie in the context of other Star Trek movies, which it has to be said the inclusion of original Spock invites, it is sort of sad.

Sound familiar? Depends on what angle you're approaching it, and it can be more than one thing. :-)
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »

(about the latest Star Trek)
I just found the plot to be nonsensical.
Then again, you can't expect much when the root of a story is time-travel.

That and the everyone becomes a cadet -> red shirt in 15 min weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Also, the Kobayashi Maru test Kirk took... simply hacking the shields off? That is so lame...
Every other iteration of Kirk's Kobayashi test was about his wits or charisma... except this one which was just lame.

(and I'm not even a trekkie)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:33:15 PM by Annubis » Logged
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »

Also, the Kobayashi Maru test Kirk took... simply hacking the shields off? That is so lame...
Every other iteration of Kirk's Kobayashi test was about his wits or charisma... except this one which was just lame.

(and I'm not even a trekkie)

In Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan Kirk totally reveals that he reprogrammed the Kobayashi Maru simulation to win it because he doesn't believe in no-win scenarios.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »

I find the best explanation (and most Kirk-like) is found within a novel where Kirk reprogrammed the Klingons to fear his name and fame. As such, when he enters the area to save the transports he makes an ultimatum telling them that if they attack, they will earn his ire.
When questioned after by Starfleet, he says simply that he hopes to make a name for himself that would recreate the scenario as he modified it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »

(about the latest Star Trek)
I just found the plot to be nonsensical.

This.  My objection to the movie isn't that that it wasn't Trek-ish (though it certainly wasn't), but I don't think it's a very good movie in its own right either.  The actual action scenes are competent enough, but the plot is forced and contrived and the characters are not realistic.  It's all style over substance.

Also, were people really not aware that there was a backlash?  I know lots of people (in real life, even, it's not just an internet thing) who agree on this.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: