Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 03:55:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338307 Posts in 13850 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Most Anticipated 2013 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Most Anticipated 2013 Discussion Thread  (Read 4113 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »

... what about old PSP titles that RPGFan did multiple news stories on? No love for BlackRock Shooter or Sol Trigger? Is there just no hope?

I've pretty much given up on BRS at this point.  I know NISA still claims they're doing it, but...what on earth are they waiting for then?  The PSP market certainly isn't going to get better and this isn't a case like Trails or something where the script is just that huge.  If they were going to do it I can't figure out why they haven't already.

Sol Trigger was never even announced, was it?

Unfortunately no. We didn't get its predecessor Saigo no Yakusoku no Monogatari and we're probably not going to get Sol Trigger either. Although outside of their twists they're dungeon crawlers so its no great loss to me.

i have WKC2 and ill probally have to force myself to finish it unless Kara somehow comes back without losing her attitude.

She won't come back. She got thrown under the bus.

On the other hand you do get a girly pink ranger knight robot for the childhood girlfriend as well as one for your custom character. But honestly though, the solo portion of the WKC games is just the side dish to the main course that is the MMO-lite online portion (enjoy the same great grinding flavor, without the depth or entertainment value).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »

Surprised Celceta wasn't in localization hopefuls. Though it's nearly a guarantee.

... what about old PSP titles that RPGFan did multiple news stories on? No love for BlackRock Shooter or Sol Trigger? Is there just no hope?

I figure the PSP market is dead or close to dead at this point.  No one is going to localize an RPG for a platform that has almost no retail space unless it's super niche and likely inexpensive to localize (Corpse Party, Generation of Chaos)

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »

I think Black Rock Shooter is technically still scheduled for release by NISA, but it's almost certainly a DD exclusive now.

And that's how most PSP games from here on out will be unless they're from Aksys (who may be run by mad men and women).
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »

...unless they're from Aksys (who may be run by mad men and women).

Yeah, I've been thinking that for quite a while now. :P

And regarding Ni no Kuni, I'm not gonna lie, I'm not that big of a Level 5 fan, I just like their storytelling in the Dragon Quest and Layton games. I think this at least has a chance to have interesting gameplay. Everything I've read about it and seen about it looks interesting enough to me. The rest I'd actually be less interested in if I thought Ghibli was 100% behind them. I honestly never liked Ghibli movies. They're way too weird and confusing for me...and this is coming from someone who watches a lot of anime. The story sounds more like something I'd expect Level 5 to come up with - at the very least I feel they came up with the basics of the plot, though we'll see whose writing shines through in the actual excecution. Characters, I probably shouldn't comment on. I've only say that I've found the Level 5 characters to be shallow, yet likeable, while Ghibli can make complex characters I never really give a hoot about. I'd even say the art style is at least 5% Level 5, if only because it seems to lack this slight oddness I've noticed in the most recent Ghibli movies. Or maybe I've just finally gotten used to it. Who knows...

Not sure who did the music, I'll look it up in a minute, but what I've heard so far is really amazing. I kinda wish I was getting a sample soundtrack with it.

...The long and short of yet another rant is that I understand everyone's concerns regarding Ni no Kuni. It doesn't have the best developer behind it (though I still think people might be a tad hasty in judging the gameplay), and the rest will likely rely heavily on whether or not you love Ghibli.

Yet, I am undeterred, and have nothing but the highest hopes for it (though I am at least slightly prepared for them to come crashing down should it turn out to be less exceptional than I want it to be, like the DS version kinda was).

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »

I'm stupid excited for FE: A and Tales of Xillia. Those are my top to most anticipated games that I know are coming out this year (barring anything unforseen and unholy). However, if the news about DA3 is for really realz true and we will get it at the end of this year (which I entirely doubt) then that will be my absolute most anticipated.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »

...unless they're from Aksys (who may be run by mad men and women).

Yeah, I've been thinking that for quite a while now. :P

And regarding Ni no Kuni, I'm not gonna lie, I'm not that big of a Level 5 fan, I just like their storytelling in the Dragon Quest and Layton games. I think this at least has a chance to have interesting gameplay. Everything I've read about it and seen about it looks interesting enough to me. The rest I'd actually be less interested in if I thought Ghibli was 100% behind them. I honestly never liked Ghibli movies. They're way too weird and confusing for me...and this is coming from someone who watches a lot of anime. The story sounds more like something I'd expect Level 5 to come up with - at the very least I feel they came up with the basics of the plot, though we'll see whose writing shines through in the actual excecution. Characters, I probably shouldn't comment on. I've only say that I've found the Level 5 characters to be shallow, yet likeable, while Ghibli can make complex characters I never really give a hoot about. I'd even say the art style is at least 5% Level 5, if only because it seems to lack this slight oddness I've noticed in the most recent Ghibli movies. Or maybe I've just finally gotten used to it. Who knows...

Not sure who did the music, I'll look it up in a minute, but what I've heard so far is really amazing. I kinda wish I was getting a sample soundtrack with it.

...The long and short of yet another rant is that I understand everyone's concerns regarding Ni no Kuni. It doesn't have the best developer behind it (though I still think people might be a tad hasty in judging the gameplay), and the rest will likely rely heavily on whether or not you love Ghibli.

Yet, I am undeterred, and have nothing but the highest hopes for it (though I am at least slightly prepared for them to come crashing down should it turn out to be less exceptional than I want it to be, like the DS version kinda was).

It is comforting to know someone else is of the opinion that Ghibli is nothing to write home about...... I have been watching anime for a long time.... long enough to see the quality of Ghibli stuff (can't be denied....) but it simply doesn't appeal to my personal taste.... That said however, it is really the ONLY thing that has me worried about Ni No Kuni. Level 5 certainly has had some blunders in the past, but I feel they have really got their act togeather here. The problem I've had with level 5 games in the past is similar to the classic compile hearts problem.... interest concepts that have not worked well or have become over-complex in execution.... with Ni No Kuni, it looks like they "played it safe" in many respects as far as gameplay is concerned, creating the games "individuality" by evolving classic RPG elements that have simply not kept up with the time.... ok RPG elements that have been all but completely void this generation save hand-held "old school" titles.... or at least that is the impression I got thus far... I suppose we will know this coming tuesday eh?

It should go without saying at this point, Ni-No has me excited....

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to HyperdimensionV, Atelier Ayesha, Tales of Xilia, Disgaea D2, and (when it is announced, because I remain hopeful it will be....) The God of Fate Revolution Paradox.... in fact TGoFRP is probably one of the more exciting looking titles to me....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 03:55:30 AM »

I finished Sol Trigger in Japanese, and it was pretty good. It was a dungeon crawler, but the art design was pretty good, the music was solid, and the story (the 65% of it that I could understand) was your typical anime kitsch. I'm surprised XSeed hasn't grabbed it for a quick turnaround, especially since they did Unchained Blades. Then again, it's like a solid 7 for me, and I'd imagine they have their hands full elsewhere, with things on platforms that will probably sell much better.

That said, this year I'm looking forward to:

- Etrian Odyssey IV
- SMT IV
- Tales of Xillia
- Fire Emblem (now that the demo has blown me away)
- PSO2 (though technically I've played the JP version so I already know it's awesome)
- Soul Hackers
- Crossing my fingers for Bravely Default

Cautiously interested in
- FFXIVARRmatey
- Celceta
- South Park

So yeah, lots of stuff this year. Deep down in my heart I want Atlus and Index to announce a surprise sequel to Radiant Historia and I want it to be as awesome as the first one was with better combat.

EDIT:

Also just to give John a chance to bruise my soul, I also would love to see a re-release of Shadow Hearts. (I KNOW IT CAN'T HAPPEN JUST LET ME DREAM, DAMMIT)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:00:53 AM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »

Surprised Celceta wasn't in localization hopefuls. Though it's nearly a guarantee.

I figure the PSP market is dead or close to dead at this point.  No one is going to localize an RPG for a platform that has almost no retail space unless it's super niche and likely inexpensive to localize (Corpse Party, Generation of Chaos)

That reminds me, gotta pick up the new Corpse Party game. Yeehaw digital novels! :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: