Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 26, 2015, 06:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
349294 Posts in 14248 Topics by 2245 Members
Latest Member: Xanxos
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Robotech movie apparently going ahead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Robotech movie apparently going ahead  (Read 1334 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:55:12 AM »

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/robotech-movie-go-nic-mathieu-talks-direct

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:12:02 AM »

God damn it, Harmony Gold, let Robotech die so we can finally get some proper Macross stuff licensed here.  Or at least stop being so anal about your shitty IP.

Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »

Isn't Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Panic, Akira, Eva, hell, a bunch of shit already in "talks" (for the last decade) to get a movie?

I think I'm excited for the movie version Ender's Game because it was another one of them sci-fi (albeit American) books that's *finally* getting an adaption after talking about turning into a movie for around the last 15 years or so too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
OrsonFury

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »

I had mixed feelings about this adaption when it was announced a few years ago. Nothing was said for a while, so I pretty much thought it was dead in the water until I saw their still moving ahead with it recently. I think the movie could be good if they can use the same team who's handling the digital effects of the upcoming Pacific Rim movie this year. Have you guys seen that trailer? I got a big Evangelion vibe after watching it.

I just hope this Robotech movie is scripted well. One of my biggest complaints about these video game, anime, comic adaptions is when the dialog is written terribly (i.e. Dragon Ball).

Oh, and while we're on topic for anime movies being adapted for live action, another one is "Ninja Scroll." I know Leonardo DiCaprio's company "Appian Way Productions" was attached to a live action Akira adaption, but I haven't heard anything on that for years...

Playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (3DS) and Hyrule Warriors (Wii U). Woot. I finally bought my first Amiibo: Toad.
OrsonFury

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »

Apparently the script isn't dead after all. This came out today:

Robotech Movie Back Online With Hollywood Gang, 300 Scribe Michael Gordon
http://deadline.com/2015/02/robotech-movie-hollywood-gang-1201364914/

Playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (3DS) and Hyrule Warriors (Wii U). Woot. I finally bought my first Amiibo: Toad.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 05:14:28 AM »

I'm going to ignore the existence of this and just enjoy Macross Delta, no matter what the IP "rights" say.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »

Nic Mathieu

Who?

Also Macross is really silly when you think about it, I really don't see it being in live action without being a trainwreck. Too bad the original is the only one that was part of Robotech, I'd at least get some twisted enjoyment out of seeing a live action Macross 7.
OrsonFury

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »

...I'd at least get some twisted enjoyment out of seeing a live action Macross 7.

I can see your guys sceptism, since past adaptions haven't gone well (i.e. Speed Racer or Dragon Ball), but how about an adaption of Macross Plus? I could see that translating well to the big screen with a good budget, script and cast. Think of the fierce rivalry and tension between the two test pilots without the big picture intergalactic fight for planetary resources (as in the original Macross saga) throw in the love interest (Sharon Apple) and there's a little more interest there as well.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »

Macross Plus also came to my mind as the best choice if you had to make a live action Macross movie, but keep in mind that this is Robotech, and not Macross, so it's definitely going to be the original Macross series.

Unless they look to the Southern Cross or Mospeada sections of the show, which they probably won't. The only section anybody remembers is the Macross one. It'd be like making a Voltron movie and then using Vehicle Voltron.

Putting that aside though, I was more pointing out how silly the concept of Macross is in general. Space idols caught in love triangles while inspiring troops in fights against aliens. It's the sort of thing that only really makes sense in anime.
CoreSignal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »

I don't think this will turn out well. That's if it ever gets made, lol.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »

Macross Plus also came to my mind as the best choice if you had to make a live action Macross movie

Yes... Macross Plus... the 4 part OVA that was completely demolished while localized into a single movie missing about half of its content including but not limited to the death scene of a major character.
/rant
OrsonFury

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:53:24 PM »

Here's an update from Sony Pictures posted last night. Apparently they want to throw the franchise tag w/o even first seeing the first film out, that's gutsy...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/334609-sony-pictures-announces-robotech-franchise-plans

One thing I think is risky for this franchise, is trying to re-establish the recognition/relevance of Robotech. I grew up with it as Macross (I'm 33 now...) and the subsequent series that followed it with Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA in the 80s, but I don't think this upcoming generation know what Robotech/Macross is...

Best of luck to all the companies involved in this adaption. Hopefully with all the time that has passed has given them time to gives this series the respect and treatment it deserves. ::fingers crossed::

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: