Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2015, 02:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363189 Posts in 14711 Topics by 2301 Members
Latest Member: FrustratedLeadingTone
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  TERA: Fate of Arun Expansion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TERA: Fate of Arun Expansion  (Read 4319 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:18:29 PM »

Anyone playing?  It's basically a free update, so you might as well try it if you've ever played TERA before.  Or even if you haven't, now is a great time to start due to the ease of getting high-tier equipment.

It adds a region to the game and raises the level cap to 65.

Storywise, it's pretty bad, but not Killian/Kelsaik storyline bad.  The side characters are decent, at least.  But, really, that's not saying much because I'd say the only time TERA had a decent story and interesting lore was the Argon arc, which I admit I'm heavily biased to because I loved the Argons.

There are a few things I didn't really like:
The nerf of old dailies to push into the new.  Totally unneeded.  Especially because the new dailies are heavily, heavily biased against solo play at 65.  Basically, old dailies give less than 5 gold each now.
The removal of half of the dungeons in the game. Including ones they just added last patch.  Why? Why remove so much content?  I hear KTERA re-added the solo dungeon Ghillieglade that was removed as Net Cafe-only, but that's the only one re-added.  This is particularly sad for me because I take pleasure in returning to old-ish dungeons and soloing them for the challenge.
Now the only really solo-challenge dungeon is Sabex Armory. And Baldur's, I guess?

Future updates are adding a Castanic Female/High Elf Female-only class known as the Arcane Engineer, so that might be neat, but otherwise classes at 65 feel a bit unbalanced.  At least Mystic got a few much-needed PvE buffs via glyphs for Raising at 120% Stamina and a defense-down on one of their spells equivalent to Priest's Triple Nemesis.  I'm sure they'll work on this.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »

Just downloaded it, but it'll be a week or two before I start playing. Not sure which class to start with...I could go with Mystic, but I'm always that kind of class...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »

Mystic is super fun, but if you plan on partying with it, it's extremely micromanagement-heavy due to having a lot of support spells they need to manage at once.  It's probably not the best class for beginners.  But don't let that stop you!  I find Mystic fun to solo with, even if there are a few level ranges that take forever.  

Priest acts as both a support character as well as a healer and is a bit easier to deal with all around.

If you plan on playing a healer, know that Priest is far less annoying. Mystic doesn't get an AOE status heal, Priest does, which is a pretty big sanity saver in this game.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:45:44 PM by Cyril » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »

Preist also seems a bit more combat-capable, too. I usually like classes with minions of some sort because I solo a lot and they're good for keeping the heat off you, but I don't think I want to spend hours just doing what I've done in a lot of other MMOs...

Actually, looking at the class list, most of the classes seem pretty neat. I'm thinking either Archer, Lancer, Mystic, Priest, Slayer, Warrior...the Berserker's not my style, and the sorcerer's a tad too generic in my opinion (not bad, just...why would I play as a standard attack magic wizard when I have so many other options?). Archers always seem cool, The Lancer's got good defense so I'll last longer, Mystics are good for soloing, priest seems versatile to some degree, Slayer might be fun with the supposedly more involved battle system, same with Warrior. I may have to roll some dice...

...and the dice said Slayer. 3 times. In a row. I think it's destiny.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »

Slayer seems to be a good choice for beginners.  It's supposedly pretty easy to get a grasp on with its learning curve.  I haven't played it myself, so I can't really comment.

Berserker is actually pretty fun, not my style, but fun if you can get over the slow movement and attack limitations.  It's the only heavy armor class I've ever played in a MMO, but heavy armor looks really good on High Elf females, so I had to try it at some point.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »

I've been meaning to get back to this game. I got to endgame of base before any expansion content was released. The only thing I hadn't done was Shandra at hardest difficulty.

And yeah, I play Mystic. <3

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:50:44 AM »

Yeah, I'm a main Mystic.  I play a bit of Priest when my tank friend is with me, though I'm generally too afraid of playing with random pickup tanks (and parties) to play Priest otherwise.

Also, you can solo Normal Mode Shandra now.  It's going to blow your mind if you decide to play for a bit.  The hardest part of Manaya's Core for Mystic solo is probably that normal enemy between the first and second boss that summons ice dude thingies.  Unfortunately, they removed Shandra Hard Mode with the expansion update, something I am extremely disappointed about. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: