Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 01:04:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327196 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A Step Back: Final Fantasy IX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: A Step Back: Final Fantasy IX  (Read 4855 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »

Don't grind to learn skills from the weapons -- just stockpile new ones as they come up and don't switch out till you've learned the skills from your new weapons.

Also you can fuse old weapons so basically never sell anything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 08:08:39 PM »

Final Fantasy IX, the only game where having a thief in your party is consistently worth it.

Ps. Keep us updated in the game journal.
i personally liked shir as a thief more. phantasy star 2 is the only game i recall where a thief can steal from shops.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 08:09:15 PM »

Isn't it 12 hours? 8 hours just sounds ridiculous. Cur scenes alone are about that long haha.

I'm not sure, I always just opened the disc tray to skip them lmao.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14:15 PM »

Isn't it 12 hours? 8 hours just sounds ridiculous. Cur scenes alone are about that long haha.

Yeah I think it's 12.

And virtually every guide says you have to skip cut scenes to make it, so playing PSOne Classics version is hardly an option.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »

It is 12 hours to get the Excalibur II in Memoria.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »

lmao my friends and I found that trick out and abused it too haha. It was actually by mistake too.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:39 PM »

There's a fantastic guide on GameFAQS for how to grab all the missables AND get Excalibur II in time. I've done it twice, and I can attest to its efficacy.

Also having Excalibur II means you can show off to all of your friends what an FFIX boss you are.

Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:12 PM »

Thank you for all the tips! I'm going to play blind, using the advice you guys gave. Probably do a few "new game journals", for people to hear a fresh take on the game.

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »

There's a fantastic guide on GameFAQS for how to grab all the missables AND get Excalibur II in time. I've done it twice, and I can attest to its efficacy.

Also having Excalibur II means you can show off to all of your friends what an FFIX boss you are.

If my time wasn't so tight, I'd love to take that challenge (wait, that's silly, obviously going for a speed run implies it'll be quick so nothingshouldreallystopmeindoingthat....).  But then I'd miss the charm of the storyline.  I'm so sad ATE's haven't come back, they really fleshed out the game better than a lot of the others in the series and didn't need voice acting to do it.  You compared it to Tales skits, but these one showed a whole scene (well; there's only 75 ATEs and they unfortunately end abrubtly after the last town in the game a credit to Tales where they do between 200-400 per title...I'm just wondering which style is better though).

Fuck I'd kill for an HD version of this game

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 12:54:21 AM »

I like both styles, but if ATE's were POSSIBLE to be done in that quantity, I wouldn't complain. :D

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:11 AM »

Jealous you're playing this for the first time.

I've played this through twice. It's my favourite PS1 FF.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »

I think I've played the opening ten hours of FF9 six or seven times.  The beginning of this game is exactly what I want from my RPGs: high adventure, great characters, cool scenarios, and a sense of depth to the narrative.  Unfortunately, I think the game really meanders around at times.  Not going into specifics, but there are parts of the game that I can't even remember because they felt like filler, and it wouldn't be a FF if the story didn't completely fly off the rails in the last few hours (though Stephen tends to disagree with me here).  It's still an awesome game, however, and even with a few disposable characters, FF9 has perhaps the most lovable cast of misfits this side of 6. 
Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »

I think I've played the opening ten hours of FF9 six or seven times.  The beginning of this game is exactly what I want from my RPGs: high adventure, great characters, cool scenarios, and a sense of depth to the narrative.  Unfortunately, I think the game really meanders around at times.  Not going into specifics, but there are parts of the game that I can't even remember because they felt like filler, and it wouldn't be a FF if the story didn't completely fly off the rails in the last few hours (though Stephen tends to disagree with me here).  It's still an awesome game, however, and even with a few disposable characters, FF9 has perhaps the most lovable cast of misfits this side of 6. 

I've come to expect JRPG's to get completely ridiculous at the end.  I wonder why it consistently happens.  Some sort of syndrome where the designer thinks they need to "Go Big or Go Home".  It's kind of annoying.  Especially after a long rpg that has taken great care with its plot lines.

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »

I've come to expect JRPG's to get completely ridiculous at the end.  I wonder why it consistently happens.  Some sort of syndrome where the designer thinks they need to "Go Big or Go Home".  It's kind of annoying.  Especially after a long rpg that has taken great care with its plot lines.

Powercreep mostly. You aren't some world savoir, walking demi-fiend/god, or some other kind of legendary hero if the only thing you fight are bandits or the occasional stray woodland creature.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »

You can abuse the hell out of the combat system on this game with all the different variants of skills to be . I beat the game with everyone dead except zidane in berserk with auto revive so I want even holding the controller. Great game though, sakaguchi really nailed the fantasy in this game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: