Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 02:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331925 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A Step Back: Final Fantasy IX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: A Step Back: Final Fantasy IX  (Read 5646 times)
itzknickknac

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 02:53:02 AM »

Thank you for all the tips! I'm going to play blind, using the advice you guys gave. Probably do a few "new game journals", for people to hear a fresh take on the game.

Please do, it'd be great to discuss your experience. FFIX is my favorite FF of all time! Definitely let me know what you think of the beginning! It's my FAVORITE part of the game.

My suggestions are (and I know you've heard them at least once):
Steal often. (but definitely steal at least 3 items from bosses)
Take your time. (Your first FFIX experience > Excalibur II)
Watch ATE's/cutscenes/etc. Idk who wouldn't but still.
Important: Donate your money if someone needs it, money isn't an issue in this game. You'll know what I mean as you play, so don't feel too stressed about this suggestion.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:57:16 AM by itzknickknac » Logged
Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »

Thank you for all the tips! I'm going to play blind, using the advice you guys gave. Probably do a few "new game journals", for people to hear a fresh take on the game.

Please do, it'd be great to discuss your experience. FFIX is my favorite FF of all time! Definitely let me know what you think of the beginning! It's my FAVORITE part of the game.

My suggestions are (and I know you've heard them at least once):
Steal often. (but definitely steal at least 3 items from bosses)
Take your time. (Your first FFIX experience > Excalibur II)
Watch ATE's/cutscenes/etc. Idk who wouldn't but still.
Important: Donate your money if someone needs it, money isn't an issue in this game. You'll know what I mean as you play, so don't feel too stressed about this suggestion.

First journal posted.  17 hours in.  If you have any questions then ask away!
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=9193.4470

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »

I'm stupid addicted to Zorn and Thorns theme "Jesters of the Moon".

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »

I remembered something you may want to check out after FF9 if you haven't.
Legend of Dragoon is a pretty divisive game that I grew up playing, and almost always felt like both of these games had settings that felt too generically medieval for my tastes but eventually grew to like both a lot.
The only problem I ever had with it was that pulling off special attacks can be stupidly difficult.
It wasn't extremely original, but I think it is about on par with FF9 in that way.
And sadly, both games are unfinished for me because of corrupted memory.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »

I absolutely loved Legend of Dragoon. I thought it was too harshly criticized by critics back in the day and I still think that. Luckily Neal liked it too haha.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »

I absolutely loved Legend of Dragoon. I thought it was too harshly criticized by critics back in the day and I still think that. Luckily Neal liked it too haha.

I love Neal for that.  If it's niche, chances are he's played it and loved it.  Everyone needs that type of fan to counter the popular/overtalked about opinion.  I count on Neal as a "hidden gem" finder at times.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »

I love Neal for that.  If it's niche, chances are he's played it and loved it.  Everyone needs that type of fan to counter the popular/overtalked about opinion.  I count on Neal as a "hidden gem" finder at times.

I agree, I'm glad we have Neal for finding those unknown and unloved gems. :)

That said, I hated Legend of Dragoon, but at least I beat it. Hated the music (most of it), hated the combat, hated the characters, but I still beat it because IT WAS BIG FOUR DISC RPG ON PS1 HELL YEAH.

But still, I know lots of people did like it, so I'm glad Neal was able to show them some love.

Also, Jesters of the Moon is an awesome song. It works well both as a "quirky weirdos" song and a "these guys are creepy villains" song.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »

Legend of Dragoon was a fun game...not ground breakingly awesome, but pretty entertaining for sure. I can safely say that FFIX was more fun, but I'd grab LoD over VIII anytime.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »

That said, I hated Legend of Dragoon, but at least I beat it. Hated the music (most of it), hated the combat, hated the characters, but I still beat it because IT WAS BIG FOUR DISC RPG ON PS1 HELL YEAH.

But still, I know lots of people did like it, so I'm glad Neal was able to show them some love.

Also, Jesters of the Moon is an awesome song. It works well both as a "quirky weirdos" song and a "these guys are creepy villains" song.

For RPGfan's sound guy, you have to admit the game was completely innovate for having its own MENU MUSIC.  Baller.
...I mean, it sounded like some shit you hear in a government building elevator, where it's sad and cold and boring to the ears, but it was there when no one else DARED. yea.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

I love Neal for that.  If it's niche, chances are he's played it and loved it.  Everyone needs that type of fan to counter the popular/overtalked about opinion.  I count on Neal as a "hidden gem" finder at times.

For RPGfan's sound guy, you have to admit the game was completely innovate for having its own MENU MUSIC.  Baller.
...I mean, it sounded like some shit you hear in a government building elevator, where it's sad and cold and boring to the ears, but it was there when no one else DARED. yea.

Very true. Although I like FFT's menu theme more :)

It was also the first game to pioneer the use of a guy dragging his feet through gravel on top of Zelda 64 sound effects as a battle theme!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWYH5s0X7Tk

I keed, I keed.
I actually did like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzfNlLPMVHA

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:40 PM »

I love you guys.  I love FF9.  I love Legend of Dragoon. 

My favorite piece of music in FF9 is Black Mage Village.  It's one of my all time favorite town themes.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »

Legend of Dragoon would've been a classic if the game didn't basically require you to defend over and over in boss battles. Ugh. That killed it for me. They needed a better method of healing your party.

Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »

I remembered something you may want to check out after FF9 if you haven't.
Legend of Dragoon is a pretty divisive game that I grew up playing, and almost always felt like both of these games had settings that felt too generically medieval for my tastes but eventually grew to like both a lot.
The only problem I ever had with it was that pulling off special attacks can be stupidly difficult.
It wasn't extremely original, but I think it is about on par with FF9 in that way.
And sadly, both games are unfinished for me because of corrupted memory.

I'll check it out!  What platform did it originally come out on?  I think most of 2013 will be spent catching up on all the ps1/ps2 games I missed.  There's a lot....

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »

Legend of Dragoon is PS1. It's on the Playstation Network now.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »

Reposting this video(s) because why the hell not.

The Epic Final Fantasy IX Medley (there's also one for FFV and FFVI if you're into that sort of thing).

I guess should mention that every video contains spoilers too.*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: