Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 02:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337836 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  The Burning Crusade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: The Burning Crusade  (Read 10051 times)
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 09:51:28 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Any of you other rogues feel that the rogue set seems.....bland? I mean, after fuckin Bloodfang, I'd expect some crazy sexy shit.

Yeah. It seems that they didn't really put much imagination towards the higher rogue sets after BF gear. Ah well... I'll just go for full BF, while the other crazy raid rogues drool over the big prizes.

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 12:22:55 PM »

I have to admit, looking at this stuff, that the overall appearance of the Burning Crusade is shaping up fairly well.  A fair amount of thought has gone into the development of the update, from what I can tell.  There are a lot of people who are going to naturally bitch and moan about the addition of Shaman and Paladins the opposing sides, but that's mostly all it is.  From a mechanical standpoint, it allows for more consistant gameplay across the board.  And a certain, evil part of me likes the idea of seeing how people react to seeing how the other side feels from both perspectives.

The new armor sets are an improvement over some of the other stuff, especially the power ranger gear that came out of AQ.  Whoever's handling their armor design has taken some complaints about design to heart and made the gear look more reasonable.. and less like the unholy fusion of a beehive and an exploding paint factory.

I noticed that the Draenei are getting a different totem model, which is a pretty smooth move.

And a certain, other evil part of me is rejoicing at the idea of the current gear raided in the raid instances getting devalued compared to greens from beyond 60.  As I utterly dispise the drama associated with trying to organize a raiding squad.

- Kickin it old school? ... Or something...
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 12:49:04 PM »

Quote from: "Gearhead"
And a certain, evil part of me likes the idea of seeing how people react to seeing how the other side feels from both perspectives.

It would be better if it happened before the expansion, tbqh, so all the AF could roll OHSHIWINDFURY and then realize raiding with a Shaman sucks fat balls.
And a certain, other evil part of me is rejoicing at the idea of the current gear raided in the raid instances getting devalued compared to greens from beyond 60.  As I utterly dispise the drama associated with trying to organize a raiding squad.

Because if you can't organize a raid without drama now, you'll surely be able to organize one later, since major franchise bosses like Illidan are . . . dun dun DUN! . . . raid bosses.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 02:20:13 PM »

It's not like the drama will go away with 25 mans either.

Anyhow, I'm kind of glad the armor is being devalued in a way too.  I finally decided that i'm most likely going to level up my priest to 70 and raid with him.  Now that epic armor will be null, choices of guilds will probably open up some since everyone will be at the same dungeons (i assume).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »

The reduction of raids to 25 man teams is, while still going to generate its share of drama, not likely to be as much drama as when things were 40.  But I suppose that we'll see what we'll see.  Changing Honor over to a purchasing value, instead of a direct points competition will help smoothe things out as well, I think.  And it's more reflective of players who don't feel like turning PvP combat into a profession.

Of course, no plan survives contact with the playerbase.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 04:03:26 PM »

Well, here's the thing with epics: They're immensely helpful in gearing yourself up from the five mans.  A person in level 60 blues (IE: my dad) has issues killing most of the stuff on the outland side of the dark portal, and a group filled this way probably needs to hit scholo/strat/dm a few times before they hit the HFC instances - the ramparts would be tough with that group.

A person who's done MC a fair amount would be able to go straight into Hellfire Ramparts in an equivalent without an issue, and be able to take it down.

A person in BWL/AQ40 gear can go, at 60, and take down the Blood Furnace without much of an issue - their gear gives them the chance to take down tougher bosses for better blues.

It's extraordinarily helpful to have the current run epics on your person - it's not as if as soon as you hit the dark portal, all of your gear will be replaced - in fact, I've only changed items in three of my slots, and I'm almost 62.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 04:26:05 PM »

Epics being standard issue gear on the other side of the portal?

That's a bit sketchy...

That's more or less advertising that Outland is going to be a 'raiders only' club.

Hopefully this will be rebalanced.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »

No, here's the thing - it's a 'head start', not a 'you need'.  A person who has invested the time for epics will be able to use those epics to a good end, and be able to skip an instance or two.  A person in blues is going to need to quest/craft/run the ramparts a bunch to get the stuff that they need to hit that next instance.  The gear that the folks who raid have lasts longer - my Bloodfang pieces will last me until 65 or so, but my Tier .5 gloves got replaced on my first day.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 05:49:42 PM »

Another way of looking at it: You hit 60 on your first character.  It takes you a while, not just because you don't know precisely where to go when, but because you're scraping minimum gear levels a lot.  You can definitely still get to 60, it's just a little rough in places and takes a while.

Now, you go to level an alt.  Say you're even leveling one of the same class; Rogue and Rogue (I have a friend who's working on his 4th 60 Rogue--he's not quite well).  Now, on your first Rogue, you were using decent daggers and stunlocking.  On your second Rogue, since you have the money from your main to afford weapons, you can get a pair of good weapons and grind faster by doing more DPS.  Just a little boost in gear both speeds up your killing time and means the mobs are hitting you less, so you don't have to med up as often.

Now, who's going to level faster in the expansion, the Rogue with 1200 AP and a Pugio, or the Rogue with 600 AP and the Barman Shanker?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 07:02:22 PM »

Quote from: "Rico"
And a certain, evil part of me likes the idea of seeing how people react to seeing how the other side feels from both perspectives.

It would be better if it happened before the expansion, tbqh, so all the AF could roll OHSHIWINDFURY and then realize raiding with a Shaman sucks fat balls.

I hear you man, there's going to be a very disappointed shaman in my guild when he finds out just how awesome paladins are:

"can pallys toss totems ?... didnt think so. The added damage and effects from totems will help the raid out alot. Melee will now benefit more from Enhancment shamans. Every time the shaman crits party members will gain a max of 10% of their total AP. This tree puts a smile on my face considering i have 26% chance to crit and 600AP. CAN YOU DIG IT ?!?
If it gets nerfed im turning emo."

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2006, 12:30:04 PM »

I've been trying to puzzle out a good way for a Shaman to make themselves viable beyond simply going the route of Mana Despenser in a high numbers team.  A possible solution, especially for the Draenei, might be an Elemental role.  Pretty much the only high level instance out right now where the workhorse nuke for a Shaman falls a bit behind is AQ (Nature damage).  They have a racial innate that would be of fair benefit to a caster group as well.

Elemental Shammys don't suffer from the nasty itemization Enhancements do, and they can still heal thanks to the extra mana and so on.  But additionally, they can fling lightning, drop totems, etc.  All while staying back and letting folks wearing plate take the abuse.

Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2006, 12:41:47 AM »

Gearhead, for what its worth, my level 64 Enhancement Shaman is doing just fine in the beta.  I've run Ramparts & Blood Furnace a *lot* and never had a problem.  Think of us as a rogue rather than a main tank, and yes, you have to learn once again how not to pull aggro.  In the meantime, you'll find that Unleashed Rage is a very nice party buff.

Elemental Shaman are desirable as well, especially for the Totem of Rage.  Mages love that thing.  :P

Itemization in the BC is nothing at all like it is in the main game, so be careful with your speculation.  There's a ton of great gear for Shamans, regardless of their spec.  I have a full set of healing gear for when I go respec Resto, and I've kept a few of the Elemental sets for when I decide to try out that tree before release.

If you have any more Shaman questions (or Warlock, mine's 62), fire away.
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »

Well, given 60 levels of one sort of itemization, I tend to use past examples as evidence of future trends.  But I can also be wrong.

I'm looking forward to January now.

A lot.

Though I might spend some time in Azuremyst to avoid the traffic jam from HELL on the other side of the Portal.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 04:32:43 PM »

Though I might spend some time in Azuremyst to avoid the traffic jam from HELL on the other side of the Portal.

Something tells me it won't be a very good idea to stick around in either new area.  I'll be leveling my paladin in the old newb areas.  I can always go back with new alts to check out the new areas once they're a bit less congested.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »

Well, since the BEs start Neutral with everyone but the Forsaken, doing typical Forsaken tactics should work.. unless you're playing a Pally.  Remember, you're gonna get general class quests that will only work in your home territory.

My personal guess, though, is there will be more lv 60s bullrushing the portal than clogging up the newbie areas with new alts.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: