Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:14:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327439 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Witcher 3: Poland's Finest Hour
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Poland's Finest Hour  (Read 4234 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

Screenshots with dramatic music!

http://youtu.be/dQUnqWE_0MI
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »

Graphics aren't the only problem. System memory is crippling what game designers can do with their worlds.

This exactly.  Memory is a huge limitation of the current-gen systems but since the console market is too big to ignore it's really restricting game designers.

The Witcher 3 is a perfect example of this if their claims about how big their world is going to be are true.  You will not be seeing this game on current-gen hardware.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »

I've gotten 6 platforms in the last 6 years, that's too much for me.

not to perpetuate the de-railing of "Witcher 3" talk..... but I hear ya mickey.... sure this gen has been around for awhile.... but I personally could still go another year (easily) without even thinking next gen.... I still haven't even broken into the lovely (albeit small) collection of Xbox RPG's I need to get to.... and lets not even talk handhelds.....  there was A LOT worth playing over the last few years, boy....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »

Just look at all the problems Bethesda had w/ Skyrim on PS3. Having to remember where a cup is in one of 1000s of rooms in a whole world is a trade off for good enemy AI and shit.

Just because there's backlogs doesn't mean we aren't ready for a new gen. Hell, a new gen would just drive down the prices of your damn Niers and Skyrims

Win Win.

Dumb discussion.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »

Your fault for buying useless handhelds I guess.

Handhelds aren't useless!

Yeah, maybe I'm just being humorless but it comes off as grossly ignorant to say handhelds are useless when a good chunk of the genre's output is on handhelds. Admittedly almost entirely Japanese output, but that's kind of a key focus here.

And after those Xbox rumors I'm kind of dreading next gen. PC upgrades seem better if the key advantages of consoles are really being thrown out.

EDIT: Clarified it a bit in case there was any mist understanding.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:31:08 AM by Eusis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

Just look at all the problems Bethesda had w/ Skyrim on PS3. Having to remember where a cup is in one of 1000s of rooms in a whole world is a trade off for good enemy AI and shit.

Just because there's backlogs doesn't mean we aren't ready for a new gen. Hell, a new gen would just drive down the prices of your damn Niers and Skyrims

Win Win.

Dumb discussion.

I don't get your point about Skyrim.

And Nier is already plenty cheap.

If anything, moving onto a new gen tends to drive prices up for certain games because it means it's definitely not going to get a reprint/re-release.

And I'm in the middle of a playthrough of Radiant Historia right now. Try playing that and saying handhelds are useless.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »

The point about games like Skyrim is a good chunk of a paltry sum of memory is used to keep track of stuff we take for granted in an open world game.

And I don't think we need to worry too hard about running out of copies of current gen games for quite some time. I can hop on a bus, get to 3 different used game shops, and STILL find Mario 3 for NES for under 10 dollars.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »

If anything, moving onto a new gen tends to drive prices up for certain games because it means it's definitely not going to get a reprint/re-release.

Except when everything DOES get reprinted in a classics line. And like last year when Atlus re-released all the DDS and SMT games for dirt cheap. I disagree very much that a new console means old classics aren't getting a reprint.

Handhelds aren't useless, though, I agree. And Radiant Historia is awesome.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 02:19:58 AM »

Except when everything DOES get reprinted in a classics line. And like last year when Atlus re-released all the DDS and SMT games for dirt cheap. I disagree very much that a new console means old classics aren't getting a reprint.

The problem is that that doesn't happen with every title.

If it did, people wouldn't be paying ridiculous prices for Suikoden 2 at this point in time.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 02:21:54 AM »

If it did, people wouldn't be paying ridiculous prices for Suikoden 2 at this point in time.

Suikoden 2 is still not on PSN right? That's ridiculous.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »

Suikoden 2 is still not on PSN right? That's ridiculous.

Yeah true, not everything gets reprinted-- but I think in cases like Suikoden 2, it wasn't going to get a reprint anyway, yeah? Still, I see where you're coming from. And no, it's not on PSN yet-- I think it's a rights issue in the US, like with Megaman Legends (although that game's issue has to do with the licensing for the voice acting). I'm playing S2 for the first time now and tracking it down was a colossal pain in the ass.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »

ANYFUCKING WAY...

Anyone here play Witcher 1? I still haven't played 2 so I figured why not get the whole series.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 06:28:54 AM »

I actually liked the first game more, though I'm probably in a minority. The translation and combat system are worse, but I don't think they quite matched the atmosphere in the sequel. It's hard to describe why I liked it more, but The Witcher had a kind of down to earth setting, whereas TW2 ditched a lot of that in favour of being more epic fantasy.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »

The Witcher 3 announcement intimidates EA, BioWare and Dragon Age III -- Source: The Nexus News

The Witcher 2 did well on the 360 or not?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:50:54 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »

The Witcher 3 announcement intimidates EA, BioWare and Dragon Age III -- Source: The Nexus News

The Witcher 2 did well on the 360 or not?

Site looks to be bullshit and from what others are saying (and what I saw with that Avatar story) they're best disregarded.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: