Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 03:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So Final Fantasy XII....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: So Final Fantasy XII....  (Read 5585 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:05:49 PM »

I wanna defend my point, but it gets too wordy and I am fighting a cold.

So in conclusion, Xenoblade was 40% great and 60% fetch quests, and FFXII was 10% gambit system and 90% regret.

TASTY!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »

I thought the history and the world in FFXII were fascinating, but it gets bogged down by the fact that Ivalice, while pretty, looks rather samey, and also because of that huge chunk in the middle of the game with pretty much no plot progression.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »

I loved XII. They got rid of the emo *CUT* that has plagued the series since the start of the PS1 era FF games, minus IX.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:19:58 AM by Eusis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 01:20:28 AM »

SLUR

Let's avoid that kind of language, alright?
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 01:36:45 AM »

I don't even think robots are cool

The only anime robot I like is Robo from Chrono Trigger.  And whatever the hell Guillo is if that actually counts.  I'm talking more "mechs".  Fucking Zone of the Enders has women in women-shaped mechas.... what the fuck?  WHY DOES A ROBOT NEED CURVES (don'tanswerthat).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:40 AM »

The only anime robot I like is Robo from Chrono Trigger.  And whatever the hell Guillo is if that actually counts.  I'm talking more "mechs".  Fucking Zone of the Enders has women in women-shaped mechas.... what the fuck?  WHY DOES A ROBOT NEED CURVES (don'tanswerthat).

I'm sure the answer to that is in an artbook, or maybe Yoji Shinkawa's head.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »

WHY DOES A ROBOT NEED CURVES (don'tanswerthat).

Why. Was. I. Created. To. Feel. Sexy?
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »

That isn't the most unfortunate part of the Z.O.E. designs. The designer took the term 'cockpit' a little too literally.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »

That isn't the most unfortunate part of the Z.O.E. designs. The designer took the term 'cockpit' a little too literally.

Interview Segment 1 -- Overall Z.O.E. Mechanical Design

Another thing that "stands out" is the cockpit at the groin. Where did this come from?

Shinkawa : This is another idea from my school day sketches.
This is one major characteristic of Orbital Frames.
The name explains it well. It is a COCKpit.
When the Orbital Frame is in Flight Mode, it springs up and points in the direction the frame flies.
Daedalus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

I recently got a ps2 and am playing through final fantasy ix right now.  I'm debating whether to play through X or XII next.  I've never played either one.

"This is your fault. I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone. You don't even care, do you?"
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »

I liked FFX and XII. XII was refreshing that it wasn't a turn based FF like so many past games. I kind of felt like a party was battling through the game along side me. The story was the only thing lacking a little in my opinion. But even that wasn't poor. Still a very solid title.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »

I'm one of the ones that was bored by FFXII and loved Xenoblade. Saying that the games are similar is like saying Deus Ex and Call of Duty are similar because they both use first person combat. Sure, they use the same basic battle system, but that's where the differences end.

I actually didn't mind the FFXII battle system, that's not what I disliked about FFXII. And saying that I "disliked" FFXII is a little strong, I just didn't feel much of anything toward the game. Where-as, I fell in love with Xenoblade. FFXII just felt uninspired and plodding. Boring designs, boring dungeons, emotionally distant story. The exact opposite of Xenoblade.

At the same time, I was kind of happy that they made FFXII at the time. I thought FFX went a little too on the melodramatic side, and thought that maybe with FFXII they'd learn to balance the two extremes. Unfortunately, all my hopes were dashed with FFXIII-1 when they made a game more melodramatic, random, and more linear than FFX. So that sorta killed one of the only good things I felt about FFXII. Thankfully they seem to be back on track now, after about 6 games.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »

Thankfully they seem to be back on track now, after about 6 games.

What do you exactly mean by that?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »

I'm one of the ones that was bored by FFXII and loved Xenoblade. Saying that the games are similar is like saying Deus Ex and Call of Duty are similar because they both use first person combat. Sure, they use the same basic battle system, but that's where the differences end.

Now that's kind of extreme. To me it's like saying DQ and FF are the same, notably during the 16-bit and 32-bit days: they may play roughly the same, but they operate very differently from one another. Deus Ex and Call of Duty is... I dunno, God of War and Dark Souls I guess. they're only superficially similar at best, and barely at that.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »

While I don't like FFXII by any stretch, I really disagree with you that FF was ever synonymous with high quality or even having standards. Probably because there are only three FF games I actually like.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: