Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337998 Posts in 13837 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Tourist Trophy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tourist Trophy  (Read 4091 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 15, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »

Gran Turismo.. WITH MOTORBIKES!

I just got my import of this today.  It's sweet.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:38:19 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Gran Turismo.. WITH MOTORBIKES!

I just got my import of this today.  It's sweet.

-John

Eh? Is it out? or is it a special edition, first I've heard of it @_@

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:39:50 PM »

It's been out in Asia and Japan for a while, now.  I got the Chinese version.

-John

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 11:40:29 PM »

Awesome, whats it like? control wise?

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 01:30:53 PM »

The game has the same physics engine and graphics engine as GT4, so you figure it'd play exactly the same... not even close.  The game's much, much more difficult, especially on pro, what with the seperate front and rear brakes.

The game's career mode has a much different feel - there are no more credits.  Bikes have one of five levels, from none to super, which compare to one of the four licenses.  Once you've passed that license test, you can do what's called a 'challenge race' with that new shiny bike you want.  If you complete the challenge (so far, it's just been "stay ahead of that guy for 10 seconds"), you get that bike.  Simple, but tough for me, so far.

-John

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 03:02:19 PM »

So, is it similar to titles such as Namco's Moto GP? with regards to front and rear brakes? anyway it sounds good, don't think a European release is scheduled anytime soon though.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 03:33:09 PM »

May for a PAL release.  :-)

-John

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »

-John

State-side I'm guessing, well might see it by August here.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 04:54:49 PM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"

-John

State-side I'm guessing, well might see it by August here.

Nope.  NTSC US release is April.  It's being released in PAL territories (Europe, Austrailia) in May.

-John

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 10:33:15 PM »

ZOMG DOUBLE POST.

I've been playing around with photo mode.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/KeeperX/touristtrophy3.jpg

Mmm.

-John

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »

Here is a post from someone else who played Tourist Trophy :o

Been playing for 2 days (well 1 night and most of another day) and I am having a lot of fun with it. I could defniately tell that this is from the makers from GT (if I did not see polyfony's name on the game) from the tracks, to the variety of stuff to the graphics to those lovely sound effects and of course their sort of francise mode.

I find it to be a drug and kept going and going no matter how many freakin times I failed. I understood how hard the game is especially getting those bikes. As John says you don't earn money in the game so you have to win those bikes, but that is really hard since your opponent is way ahead of you and you have to get ahead for 10 seconds without touching grass and dirt and not fall off. I only managed to get 10 bikes thus far with majority being lame bikes, but I like to collect. I find the license tests on the other hand to be easier than in GT so I quickly was able to get my Super license late last night and have access to all of these cars that I can get. It was still tough, but felt like you had more of a chance than at GT that feels super impossible at times.

Appearently there is no customization which is kind of a bummer since I had some fun purchasing parts to improve my ride. In order to win these race events, you got to get the good bikes so the developers are really making you work harder for the good stuff. I personally find bikes easier to handle than cars (I guess thats how it suppose to be) that I get a more precise feel when I am turning breaking and such while even if I did good in GT, there are still times when I felt I feel I do not have much control of my car and tend to still have trouble doing turns.

Though it has less than what GT has to offer, I actually find it really enjoyable. I find it interesting that it is more skill based trying to work hard to earn what you like rather than just keep doing easy races to get cash and buy your way to greatness. I think the series has potential and I would like to see it grow. That is my two cents.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 09:23:03 PM »

This is now out in our region.. so I now have a second copy, in English.  :-p

Anyone else snag it?

-John

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 09:28:28 PM »

I'm gonna rent it. The reviews I've read say it's basically Gran Tourismo on bikes....which sounds badass and bad....ass at the same time.

Rent and probably buy. I need a good racing game since I dont play Forza anymore.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Takabo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »

Picked it up today, and I've been playing around with it for a while.  I destroyed GT4, I've played the XBox line of Moto GP games for years, so I assumed I'd jump right into this and be instantly up to speed.  Not even close.  The controls themselves are taking a while to get used to, but even then it's much more simmish than the Moto GP games.  I will approach a corner, think to myself "Put on the rear brake," then struggle to remember where it is and, more than likely, downshift and lean rather than brake.  It's taking a while to get used to, but it's certainly rewarding.  I certainly wouldn't expect any less from Polyphony, but everything in here feels exactly as I would expect it to.

The advancement is a bit unusual.  I admit that I haven't spent much time with it, but I do think I would prefer to go to the Gran Turismo style.  The licenses are pretty easy, but do a good job exposing you to the bike physics.  It's just cosmetic, but it's fun dressing up the rider.  I'm not sure what affect it has on handling, but I love messing with the riders' riding style.

I was hoping they would add more circuits than in GT4, and I'm happy to see Valencia, but I have the same complaint with circuit selection I had in GT4; namely, ignoring for the most part European circuits.  No Jerez?  No Mugello?  I don't know the full circuit list yet, but I doubt they'll expand on Europe beyond the Nurburgring.

This is a nice addition to Polyphony's lineup.  I could easily see myself buying a Tourist Trophy 2.

-EDIT-
I've been playing with the Photo Mode too.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: