Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334697 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Skies of Arcadia Legends vs. Rogue Galaxy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Legends vs. Rogue Galaxy  (Read 3909 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »

I really liked Skies of Arcadia, but the encounter rate was excessive on the world map, even though it was absolutely fine in the dungeons. It took some of the shine off the fun of exploration when you were getting into the same battles over and over again. I haven't played the Gamecube version, apparently the encounter rate is lower, but from what I've heard the soundtrack wasn't converted perfectly, the Dreamcast sounds better.

I'd have no problem with random encounters in RPGs if only they followed Panzer Dragoon Saga's example - once you've outleveled an area encounters start to disappear completely, instead of wasting your time with pointlessly easy battles.

Yeah, you've heard right. They overcompressed the music to fit on one GC disc, and so it sounds flatter and less awesome. It's especially noticable during the best part of the on-foot battle theme :(

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »

On the subject of music, SoA had brilliant dynamic themes, where they changed based on your location on the map and your progress in a boss battle.

I really wish more RPGs would do that.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »

On the subject of music, SoA had brilliant dynamic themes, where they changed based on your location on the map and your progress in a boss battle.

I really wish more RPGs would do that.

Gee, I sure hope there's an upcoming RPGFan feature that addresses this exact topic! :)

But yeah, it was awesome flying past Ixa'Taka and hearing the drums, etc. Pure awesome.

Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »

Skies all the way. The music, characters, and game-play are superior.

I still remember being creeped out by the dark rift... *shudder*
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »

I had pretty good time with rogue galaxy nothing stands out as bad really. The basic tropes are about as far as character development ever got but it didn't bother me.

SoA is a game I've heard so much good about that I was going to buy a game cube copy when I got my wii, I haven't cause I've plenty to play at the moment. Plus when I heard the hd rumor I was willing to wait. I'd love to see that on psn. It's on my list of games to buy either way.
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »

I myself do own both games but unfortunately haven't gotten very far in either of them. I can't really judge the games but I would have to say I like Rogue Galaxy better so far just based on gameplay
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »

New music podcast up today, featuring Skies of Arcadia music. I thought it would be apropos of this topic :)

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »

If you stopped and played Skies of Arcadia, Klyde, you'd be quite pleased. The game was incredibly well done.

Get Legends, btw, as it's got far more content to offer.

More content, but since it was squished to fit on one disc, the music quality isn't as good. Just as an FYI.

And let's not forget Pinta Quest.
Actually made it really easy for me to buy new stuff because I'd bring my VMU to school. By the time I got home I'd have tons of stuff to sell. Never did get that last Cham, though...
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »

You can get the last cham in Legends by completing the moonfish sidequest. Plus, Super Vigoro secret boss is awesome.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: