Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 12:24:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329985 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Skies of Arcadia Legends vs. Rogue Galaxy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Legends vs. Rogue Galaxy  (Read 3501 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 01:39:23 AM »

Aika, definitely. She's one of the most likeable characters of her archetype that I know.  Fina is just...dry.  Cupil is adorable, though.

And yeah, there have been rumors of a HD re-release of Skies for about 6 months now, since they put the name back in for copyright.  There hasn't been any updates as far as I know, but oh man, I want it badly.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 03:08:07 AM »

Yeah, there have been a lot of rumours but nothing substantial.  I would buy an HD Skies of Arcadia in a heartbeat...

But screw Rogue Galaxy.  I thought that game was terrible.  Terrible gameplay, terrible story, terrible characters.  I find its popularity a little baffling.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 04:04:53 AM »

I find its popularity a little baffling.

It's popular?

... Or maybe you mean the fact it has fans at all?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:13 AM »

ok between taelus and now D as well... i'm totally sold.... that auction is mine!!

I'll third this.
Played the SOA Legends and loved it. Definitely worth playing through if you haven't before.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »

The only things RG has on SoA is some decent weapon / item / skill crafting systems and action-y combat (which might not even be as solid as SoA's, which is turn-based but often excellent). SoA has WAY better environments (especially its awesome world map), characters, story, and audio. Both games have some pretty good side quests and a cartoon aesthetic hat holds up.

Yeah, I really enjoy both games (I play layer Rogue Galaxy last year and liked it just fine; I played SoA for the first time in high school, at least 10 years ago), but Skies of Arcadia is better.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »

Skies of Arcadia's only real flaw is the battle system. Near the end of the game, battles take forever.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »

Skies of Arcadia's only real flaw is the battle system. Near the end of the game, battles take forever.

DELTA SHIELD.

Build Mood Points

DELTA SHIELD.

Build Moon Points

BACK OFF --- ALPHA STOOOORRRMMMMMMMMM

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »

It's popular?

...hides in the corner quietly... I liked Rogue Galaxy

Everything's Eventual
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »

It's popular?

...hides in the corner quietly... I liked Rogue Galaxy

I have unfortunately never played Skies of Arcadia, but I did like Rogue Galaxy. Nothing amazing obviously, but I found it a solid and worthwhile RPG.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »

Eugh...sorry Bytor. 

Rogue Galaxy was one of those rare games I played that I knew I didn't and wouldn't like in the first ten minutes.  I played it for a few hours, but the opinion didn't change.  I got this with Dragon Quest games too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »

Rogue galaxy isn't a bad game at all, honestly, just forgettable. Honestly, I liked the playthrough I did for it, and one day I may go back for a second run. Skies is just a vastly better game, in every aspect. Arguably some of the best battle music in an rpg, and the sidequests are a plenty. You'll be at the game for a good long time.

TASTY!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »

Yeah, I really enjoyed Rogue Galaxy's concept and graphics. It's just that like all Level 5 games, it had way too much filler and fell apart at the end. And the combat was a fun, if fluffy, action RPG. It was a solid 7-ish game for me, whereas SoA would be a 9.995 game for me. It's probably my favorite RPG on the Dreamcast.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZA-2PkQMsM Rogue Galaxy's battle theme is awesome though.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »

DELTA SHIELD.

Build Mood Points

DELTA SHIELD.

Build Moon Points

BACK OFF --- ALPHA STOOOORRRMMMMMMMMM
Pff, everyone knows that the fights consisted of...

Enrique: Justice shield
Everyone else: Focus

(4-5 rounds later)

BLUE ROGUES....ATTACK!

TASTY!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »

Ship battles or on foot?
Non-ship battles are broken and easy as crap after getting Prophecy and maybe Blue Rogues.
Never got much into Rogue Galaxy but it has a fun battle sytstem though I have a soft spot for Dark Cloud's battles.
edit: gotta love all that SOA influence in that youtube link in comments and that avatar.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:21:55 PM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »

I really liked Skies of Arcadia, but the encounter rate was excessive on the world map, even though it was absolutely fine in the dungeons. It took some of the shine off the fun of exploration when you were getting into the same battles over and over again. I haven't played the Gamecube version, apparently the encounter rate is lower, but from what I've heard the soundtrack wasn't converted perfectly, the Dreamcast sounds better.

I'd have no problem with random encounters in RPGs if only they followed Panzer Dragoon Saga's example - once you've outleveled an area encounters start to disappear completely, instead of wasting your time with pointlessly easy battles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: