Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334562 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Tech problem, DNS error.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tech problem, DNS error.  (Read 911 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »

So as the topic title suggests, the issue I'm having is a DNS error. It's on my sister's laptop, a lenovo thinkpad (i.e. a piece of shit). I know it's the laptop because I tried connecting my friend's laptop to her newly installed cable modem and he got on immediately, and I reset the modem numerous times during the troubleshooting. To further the issue, I took the laptop to my house and tried connecting online with it and same problem. So for a quick rundown...

I am trying to connect the laptop via a wired connection to the internet and receiving a DNS error, but only through the ethernet port as the wireless works fine. When the ethernet cable is plugged in, the small recognition lights next to the port flicker, showing me it sees the cable, but when I check the status of the connection, it shows no information coming in. I'm thinking the port may have been damaged, but short of pulling the whole thing apart, I can't tell.

What I will ask for here is a way to run maybe a diagnostic on the port itself, or should I just ditch the wired connection, go wireless, and upgrade the laptop instead?

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:03:30 PM »

TCP/IP enabled in the properties?
About the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Also, maybe try and update the network card's drivers.
Could be shitty default drivers.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:12:31 AM »

TCP/IP enabled in the properties?
About the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Also, maybe try and update the network card's drivers.
Could be shitty default drivers.
Well, I thought it might be drivers, but the port was working not too long ago, we needed to use the laptop to program sonos connect units. My father swears that he was hardwired to a router on it not too long ago, but I think he's going senile, so w/e.

Dunno about tcp/ip, don't recall it being changed ever though.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: