Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2015, 02:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
360449 Posts in 14630 Topics by 2274 Members
Latest Member: DucretAlex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Pillars of Eternity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 7545 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »

Medievil folk songs tended to be pretty weird, yeah. They definitely had a different sense of humor back then.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »

Haha, you don't need to do any time travelling to encounter that kind of sense of humour. You just need to go to a fraternity in Oklahoma.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »

One of the things I'm going to point out in my review is that Pillars does a really great job of avoiding that D&D-ism-- your abilities are often 'per encounter' instead of 'per rest (although there are some of those too),' and resting is tied to a finite resource, so there's more of a strategy to when you use abilities-- and because you have greater access, you're doing more with more of your characters. There are also just more abilities per class, so warriors don't just hit things in the face all day, they have knockdown strikes, sweep attacks, etc.

The older games were great, but the combat is definitely better in this.

Actually, thats old D&D-ism. 5th edition provides a lot more per encounter abilities or regain of abilities on short rests. Even wizards can now much more rapidly regain their spells as well as having powerful at-will cantrips they can cast. 5th edition is a big improvement but I digress.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 06:59:50 AM »

Actually, thats old D&D-ism. 5th edition provides a lot more per encounter abilities or regain of abilities on short rests. Even wizards can now much more rapidly regain their spells as well as having powerful at-will cantrips they can cast. 5th edition is a big improvement but I digress.
Yes let's avoid turning this into a D&D edition war thread....4th edition for life! :p
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
Administrator

Fear the old blood.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

Stephen keeps sparking my interest in this game, but I'm still feeling snake-bitten after Wasteland 2.  Man, I really wanted to like that game, but it felt so antiquated and lifeless at times.  Do y'all think I'll have a better time with Pillars?  Keep in mind I wasn't the biggest fan of Divinity either...
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »

Did you like BG2?
Because this is pretty much BG2 with modern graphics.
Taelus
Some music guy
Administrator

I'm really feeling it!

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »

I actually think it's quite a bit more refined than BG2 (not that that game wasn't great for its time), lots of smart improvements to the engine and UI, etc.

And yeah-- you know, I had heard tabletop D&D had tightened up the pace too. I'm glad this game seems to take some cues from that. I think having a pool of abilities you have access to in every encounter is great-- frees you up to think more strategically in each fight, while having limited-use powers still makes you consider resources.

One thing I don't like (although I understand the reasoning behind it) is the inability to cast protective spells before a fight. Sure, it's a bit of a 'gaming the system' type of thing since you can reload and be better-buffed for a fight, but in fights like the one with the
Code:
Adra Dragon
it basically meant you had to get lucky and cast a few buff spells before it crits and murders the entire party-- created a little trial and error in that particular situation.

"Steb I'm always channeling my inner rage. I'm basically a tall, skinny, pointy-eared, pale she-hulk with a giant stick." - Liz

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2015, 12:30:40 AM »

This game is the shizzle.

Well, that said it's not like I don't have any complaints.  There are times when I really think it could use more...character.  I mean this is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate which had characters like Minsc that everyone remembers.  It had a sense of humor.  For all its world building and backstories, Pillars of Eternity comes off as feeling a bit flat.  It's like the writers were afraid to get a little silly.  Everyone is very earnest and properly motivated but sometimes you just want a miniature giant space hamster.

Combat is a big improvement, though.  And I'm someone who liked BG's combat, but that as a (good) adaption of some rough (hey it was 2nd edition) pen and paper rules while Pillars of Eternity's system was developed from the ground up for this game.  It feels less random, more fair, more tactical, but definitely still a challenge.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
Administrator

Fear the old blood.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2015, 10:33:55 AM »

Y'all are making it really hard for me to resist buying this damn game! 
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »

Well, waiting isn't so bad since they are fixing a lot of bugs every 2 week or so.
dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2015, 01:10:58 AM »

How is this game for people who have little to no experience with this kind of game? I did play a bit of BG and IWD but I didn't manage very well. I never played pen and paper games and I am not the one who wants to pause for every fight. If I play on easy do you think it will be playable?
Taelus
Some music guy
Administrator

I'm really feeling it!

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2015, 03:27:57 AM »

If you play on easy, you could probably get away without pasuing.

"Steb I'm always channeling my inner rage. I'm basically a tall, skinny, pointy-eared, pale she-hulk with a giant stick." - Liz

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »

Honestly even on higher difficulties there are so many autopause options that I almost never need to pause manually.  I guess it does take a bit of setup but you can make the game pause itself whenever something notable happens so you don't miss it.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2015, 11:11:22 AM »

There are currently two things stopping me from buying this game right now.
1. I'm super cheap and therefore waiting for the game to go on some sort of turbo discount.
2. These days, I find it hard to find both the time and will to invest into a big RPG, even though somewhere deep down I know I want to.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: