Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319266 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Thief 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thief 4  (Read 1460 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

Guess we'll finally get to see it. Next-gen.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/05/april-cover-revealed-thief.aspx

I haven't played the old Thief games (yeah I should) but Eidos Montreal working on it excites me. I loved DXHR.

Oh I guess they're just calling it Thief, whoops.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:12:35 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:48:44 PM »

This being a next-gen release and a reboot of a respected series it gives the game an entire different level of expectation. Not to mention that the project started while Deus Ex: Human Revolution was still in development I believe.

I'm very much looking forward to it, but I highly doubt I'll be buying a copy once is released.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »

I haven't played the games myself, but I'm still really looking forward to this. I used to watch my brother play through the first two, back when I was younger and didn't have the patience for stealth games. Now my tastes have changed and I can't get enough of the genre.

I'm glad they've dropped that awful "Thi4f" moniker, that didn't even make sense.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »

Eidos Montreal is a passionate and talented team of developers. I've never played a Thief game ever and I will buy this to support them. Also DXHR was awesome.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »

Thief - Game Informer coverage

Behind the scenes stuff.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »

trailer!

http://youtu.be/DpUUfRIhPIw

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »

two thoughts:

a) cg, whatever, no gameplay no interest
b) awesome trailer nonetheless

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 03:22:28 AM »

I can't fucking wait. 

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 03:38:45 AM »

a) cg, whatever, no gameplay no interest

---

Thief Previews, Screens and Artworks / April 4th, 2013 -- NeoGAF

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:10:26 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:15:24 AM »

I'll support this studio for sure. Deus Ex was big fun

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »

Eidos Montreal's Thief reboot has been having trouble -- Source: Siliconera

Thief reboot impeded by office politics, high-level departures -- Source: Polygon
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »

Office politics ALLLLWAYS lead to a great product.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »

Thief Box Art / 'Uprising' Trailer, Release Date Announced -- Source: All Games Beta
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 05:07:41 AM »

Necro-bump.
Picked up the game on PC and PS4. Gotta say that after reading all the negative reviews I was ready to cancel my pre-order. The major issue I've had has been the framerate, which has since been patched up on the PS4, and soon for the PC. Overall I've found the FPS to be more consistent on the PS4 vs. PC (and I'm running a 770 GTX) though the PS4 doesn't get any higher than 30fps. PC is average of 42fps but bounces between 20-60, which means when there's chop, it's a hell of a lot more noticeable.

Visually, the game is stunning, if not a tad repetitive in some instances. I mean really, one grimy back alley is the same as the next. Even on the PS4, the game is a showpiece, though why they decided on a couple pre-rendered cutscenes is beyond me. They actually look worse than the ingame engine.

There's been a lot of griping about how closed the game is, and I can see how expectations of a sprawling city/sandbox might cloud expectations. The game is linear, albeit you can take on a multitude of jobs in any order you desire. There's enough territory IMHO to not feel like you're boxed in. I think Eidos Montreal did a much better job of giving the illusion of freedom than DE:HR did. The story isn't exactly groundbreaking, but it is what it is.

The most important aspect of the game, the stealth, was fairly well done outside of some weird AI issues in spaces.
I think like so many other games lately, Thief is polarizing. Fans of the original will balk at how this game totally missed the mark of greatness, but let's be honest - the old PC games weren't without their faults. Either way, don't let the reviews skew your decision to pick up this game, especially on PS4 (cause they need more games). Just realize it's not going to be a seminal stealth/combat experience like Dishonored. Thief is a much less ambitious of a game. If you're a fan of obsessively looting items (see Skyrim) and sneaking about in the dark, definitely check it out.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »

Nvidia users have been having problems, as it seems it was only optimized for ATI cards.  I imagine a patch will rectify that issue.

Honestly, I'm hugely disappointed with this game.  The city hub is probably the most poorly constructed environment I've experienced in recent memory, the stealth mechanics often feel janky and lack a real sense of self and safety relative to the enemies (sometimes enemies can see into the dark thirty feet over their heads, other times they can't), the sound design is completely borked and makes you feel like an enemy is around the corner when their actually above you or across the street, and the actual thievery is quite boring and repetitive.  This feels like a stealth game from 2004, where it wasn't always clear when you were seen and sometimes the AI would wig out.  Worse still, I feel the world is a giant step backwards from the hubs in Human Revolution.  It's like the worst parts of Hengsha where you couldn't tell exactly how to get to an objective, but the entire game is like this.

I mention it on our upcoming podcast, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about significant downsizing over at Eidos Montreal.  The game will sell well because next-gen owners want something to play, but this stealth title has been completely outclassed by numerous other games released in recent memory (Dishonored, Mark of the Ninja, Hitman: Absolution, etc.). 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: