Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 04:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327545 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Grasping RPGs storylines
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Grasping RPGs storylines  (Read 2164 times)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 07:03:09 PM »

I just replayed FF:T these days, and I can safely say I finally fully grasped the storyline this time. This got me thinking, how most of my favourite classic RPGs, although I do say I enjoyed their stories a lot, I couldn't really  understand them wholly.
I mean, English not being my mother language, and having played these games when I was 10-13 years old, I am sure I missed a lot of what was going on. Hell, if someone asked me right now if Cloud was a clone or not after all, I couldn't give a certain answer - that's pathetic I know.
If anyone asks me about it, I will say Xenogears had an amazing plot - that's how I "remember" it - but being totally sincere about it, I couldn't even begin saying what it was all about for starters.
Does this happen with anyone else? I also have a big problem remembering the plots - although I think the fact I don't bother replaying games for the most part contribute to that - but that's another story.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »

Depends. I think the FFVII thing is only a result from not fully understanding the game's dialogue, and possibly skipping on extra stuff, as it's pretty obvious with a full playthrough that, no, he's not a clone. Something like Xenogears, I think you could understand the basic story, but not anything deeper that they may or may not have tried at. And in cases like VS with Ashley and his family, they just leave things vague ultimately so you can decide for yourself what the answer was.

There are some games however that really are just hard to get, and this isn't limited to RPGs. In fact, the worst offender (whether this is good or bad is up to you) is Killer7, where I think you need to do a few replays and possibly read people picking the game apart to actually get it, and even then that'll be up to interpretation. And MGS2 was just flat out confounding at the end: I still need to replay that to the end, which I've managed to do for both MGS1 and 3 by now.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:22:52 PM »

Eusis, all MGS are like that. :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:28:32 PM »

Quote from: "Bogatyr"
Eusis, all MGS are like that. :)

MGS2 is still by far worse than the other two. :P
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 07:31:11 PM »

I think what really affects our understanding of the story is how our minds percept things at different ages. As an example, I played through FFT the first time when I was about 14, and understood almost none of the story. I played through it last year and was able to pick up all the subtle hints and themes inherent to the story. I think it all has to do not with how you 'understand' the language but rather how your mind percieves it at a given time or maturity level.

Also using FFT as that same example, at 14 I thought Delita was the biggest ass faggot in the world. But when I replayed it last year I was able to empathize with his situation and understand his motives.

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
I think what really affects our understanding of the story is how our minds percept things at different ages. As an example, I played through FFT the first time when I was about 14, and understood almost none of the story. I played through it last year and was able to pick up all the subtle hints and themes inherent to the story. I think it all has to do not with how you 'understand' the language but rather how your mind percieves it at a given time or maturity level.

Also using FFT as that same example, at 14 I thought Delita was the biggest ass faggot in the world. But when I replayed it last year I was able to empathize with his situation and understand his motives.

Yes, you have a point. The language thing is just a plus - a minus actually - in my case.
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »

Bogatyr the prob is not in you imo at least i for example a jew from israel
and my mother language is therefore hebrew which i can tell you is extreme different from english yet i understand the games really well
maybe becuase the level in them is not so high i dont know.

but like esuis said before i think that the games you mention is really confuse in theirs nature i didnt feel like to play ff7 until the end. but xenogears was quite enigma for me (part of ) it also happend me with
anime series which i saw in hebrew...

vagrant story was really confuse too much hole plot to count
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:56:29 PM »

but in other hand xeogears have so many things that only native hebrew spaker wil understand to fullest so if i have a prob it really have someting about it.... but it still my favorite rpg story ever ....
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 12:19:31 AM »

You know what games have really convoluted plots? Capcom games. It's like, they give you a few details, but stop just short. It's like, they have this really cool plot all drafted up for the game, but they don't include it in the game. It's like, it's so cool, they want to keep it top secret, so no one steals it or tries to imitate. See any Mega Man or Street Fighter game, and you'll know what I mean.

The last couple of Capcom games I played were Chaos Legion and Crimson Tears. Same deal as usual, the characters all have backgrounds that Capcom simply doesn't want to reveal in detail; you know this simply from the way the characters talk to each other, and in some cases, reveal some details that are vague, but you know there's supposed to be some special meaning behind.

Gah, Capcom, why must you always taunt me?!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 01:25:58 AM »

You're not the only one man. I don't really understood what happened in FFT or what was going on in Xenogears. Save for the basic elements of the plot. But story isn't usually what drives me to play a game. I'm more a gameplay person. I especially get really lost when they start throwing in abstract ideas and symbolism and other shit like that. No thanks! Just have a fun battle system and short load times. That's all I ask. lol

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 10:52:17 AM »

You know what games have really convoluted plots? Capcom games. It's like, they give you a few details, but stop just short. It's like, they have this really cool plot all drafted up for the game, but they don't include it in the game. It's like, it's so cool, they want to keep it top secret, so no one steals it or tries to imitate.

Haha. At least Megaman and Street Fighter don't rely on story too much.

Another thing I think contributes to that, is that most plots start up misterious and confusing. That's cool, if otherwise they would be really boring, but the thing is, there is this dialogue you really have no idea what they fuck they are talking about, which is supposed to make more sense 10 hours after, when you get to a further point in the game. Ok, but it's one thing to remember something you understood, but it's humanly impossible - not quite, but it's really hard - to remember some dialogue, or idea which was conveyed, if you did not understand them in the first place. In a book you can just flip back a few pages, and wow, all is perfectly and makes sense now, but in a game you just can't do it. Unless you replay games, which I don't except for my most favourite ones, and never in sequence.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »

Nowadays I haven't really played anything that was that confusing.  If I do run into something confusing, I wonder if it's the game being confusing or if it's my fault because I haven't played it in so long (in the case of DDS).

However the only game I can really recall being pretty clueless on back when I was younger was Xenogears - maybe ff7 a bit too.  I was 14ish and probably stupid/naive.  I didn't really fully understand what was going on until I finished the 2nd playthrough a couple months later.  I replayed the game later when I 19 and I honestly do not understand how
Code:
I didn't realize Fei was Id.  I don't know if it was just my young age not being able to understand or what.  I feel like back then I didn't think outside the box and only paid attention to what the story presented to that point of time.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:07 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

Interestingly, according to my biology prof, the part of the mind that focuses on analysis and independent thought usually doesn't develop fully until 15 or so. I'm almost 16 now and I feel a huge difference from when I was 14 or 15. I replay some games and watch some shows I enjoyed and pick up so many new things.

Bogatyr, I was in the exact same situation with FFVII a little while ago. It's not pathetic. I'm still unsure, even after playing the game 10 times or more. :P
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 08:20:56 PM »

im currently replaying FFT as well and i just noticed something peculiur(sp?) that i never noticed before. the game suggests that barinten the weapons dealer guy raped/molested Rafa or at least did something very innapropiate to her. considering its age thats a very adult concept for an rpg.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: