Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 06:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331720 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Did/does anyone play Skylanders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Did/does anyone play Skylanders?  (Read 728 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »

I finally gave in and bought Skylanders (Giants) and a bunch of guys to go with it.  It's pretty fun.  There are a lot of ways in which it reminds me of the PS2/Dreamcast era Gauntlet games, which I loved.  Is anyone else playing it?  Did anyone play it before?  I know I'm really late to the party.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »

No i haven't but some of the possibilities Disney's Infinity represents are exciting. I'm not a fan of collecting the figures though.

The game does look fun and if I had a rugrat we'd be playing for sure.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

I'd been looking at it for a while, but the thing that made me finally jump in was that a store near me got a bunch in and sold them for $4.50 each, which is less than half price.  So I said "Hey, I've still got this money from Christmas.  Screw it, I'm in."

—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:14:57 AM »

I read that most of the game is basically microtransactions in the form of those figures. It kind of turned me off to it. Well, that and it looked like shit, but meh, to each his/her own.

TASTY!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »

Yeah, the way it works is that when you buy the game, you get three characters with it, and the platform dealie they stand on.  And you can beat the game with just those three guys.  But as you play, you'll come across items that unlock special abilities for the various figures that exist.  Not necessarily the ones you have.  And when you do, it's all "do you want to see a preview of that guy?"  And each new character you get unlocks a special challenge minigame that you can play with each figure to boost its stats.  And there are areas within the game that you can only enter with a character of a certain type (fire, ground, etc.).

So if you never bought any other guys, you could beat it, but you'd be missing out on a bunch of content, and although they don't shove that in your face, they definitely remind you of it from time to time.

I'm actually surprised that nobody here has played it.  My nephew and his friends love it, and the fact that they made more than one game (and that Disney is copycatting them) tells me they did pretty well with it.

—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »

It's by the Star Control 2 guys. That's all I know.

also they use crappy meth-addict spyro and not awesome spyro.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:05:37 AM »

It's by the Star Control 2 guys. That's all I know.

also they use crappy meth-addict spyro and not awesome spyro.

Yeah I was bummed when I heard that.... Hopefully they can use the millions this made to do something SC related.

I yearn for that universe. SC2 remains my most favoritest experience ever. (gaming wise).
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »

Actually, yes! My friends and I play it! I didn't go as over board as my friends though. They bought almost ALL of them! Seriously...there is a book shelf dedicated to all of the Skylanders he has. ....it's a lot. :)

We really like it. It's fun with 2 people, having a character that's yours makes playing with it feel a little more special, there are lots of different moves to learn, and the dialogue can be funny sometimes. Haha.

In conclusion, it's a great game if you like collection stuff. Because that EXACTLY what this game is. And the new one coming out later this year will only add to collecting insanity. 

pigTails of...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: