Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  iOS game Knights of Pen and Paper is (currently) free
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: iOS game Knights of Pen and Paper is (currently) free  (Read 435 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

Apparently it's usually $2, but the iOS game Knights of Pen and Paper is free right now.  Some folks say you don't need to buy any IAPs at all, others say they're totally necessary.  But hey, it's free to try.  It's a game that's like playing a pen & paper RPG with your buddies, down to the graphics.  

Here's an iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knights-of-pen-paper/id549248038

Here's a screenshot from a few minutes into the game:

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »

Sweet, I had this on my Wish List, but I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the heads-up! I'm downloading it now.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »

I've put a couple of hours into it, several minutes at a time, and I really enjoy this game.  The combat and party building are fun, and I like how you can buy things for the basement you're playing in, and they actually impact your game.

There are a couple of interesting twists in party building:
- You start out with only two people, and have to buy the rest of the party at increasing (but not excessive) amounts of money. In-game money, that is. You can choose to IAP more if you want, but you don't have to by any stretch.  You can grind for it without much pain.  I actually like this, because it makes you think about who you're putting in the party, and it makes those first battles against rats a little more tense than they would be if you already had five party members.
- When you bring someone into the party, you have to choose their class (duh), but you also have to pick who's playing them.  And each person has their own benefits.  I started with a paladin and a warrior.  The paladin is a businessman, who gets a 10% bonus to all XP gained.  The warrior is "Wolvie," who regenerates 1 HP per turn.  I later added a rogue played by "little brother," who gets +5 to initiative, and a cleric played by "E.T.," who regenerates 1 MP per turn.  Can't decide who to add to the party for my last slot yet.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:54:03 AM »

It is a sweet little title, full of fun translation issues! Keeps you on your toes!

I like to play it in bursts, and its pretty tight to just pick up and play now and again. However, it can get fairly repetitive, but there is a lot of charm in the title. It is very grindy, however, if you're on IAPing it. Stuff is danged expensive, both for recovery items and for decorating your basement.

At any rate, for D&D enthusiasts, like myself, I recommend picking up this humble homage that is rife with tropes we all know and love, even if they are awkwardly Englished sometimes.

Just Greg, thanks.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: