Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 05:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334603 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New "FROM SOFTWARE" and "SONY JAPAN" game for ps4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: New "FROM SOFTWARE" and "SONY JAPAN" game for ps4  (Read 1978 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »

Tbh.. Oath in Felghana's bosses can give the Souls games a run for their money as far as difficulty goes. I didn't die as much in Ornstein and Smough as I did in the last boss of Oath in NORMAL.

The thing with Souls is that it's a much slower paced game and it's a little bit more indepth on the RPG mechanics as opposed to quick snappy actiony Oath in Felghana. The trip to the bosses is also another aspect because in Oath you can instantaneously retry the boss.
Both amazing games but with wildly different design philosophies.

Klyde, if you were bothered by the difficulty in Demons I doubt that would change for Dark... It's just something that you have to embrace when you play these games, you need to be prepared to suffer the consequences of your mistakes. A lot of it is overcoming the obstacles and fighting your own desire to give up or blame outside factors for your failures. There  is a weird exhilarating satisfaction in feeling completely hopeless and then conquering what might seem at first an insurmountable colossal task. And what's brilliant is that the very setting and plot/characters and lore of the game are directly associated with that idea of overcoming despair, it marries the atmosphere of that world with the feelings of the player, it's truly immersive.  It was seriously one of the best games I ever played.

A very effective dark fantasy setting, the game is completely silent except when music plays in key boss battles and a few other areas and it works masterfully, for example the last boss fight's music was a perfect choice for the story associated with that character, it was a simple nice touch but it was extremely powerful and executed beautifully.. It's a completely surreal world to explore and the gameplay starts being a non issue once you get used to the mechanics, the allure then becomes exploring the world and reaching the next exciting boss.

I wouldnt be afraid of screwing up the progression in Dark however, the game is super flexible and allows for all kinds of playstyles. Upgrading equipment is much more crucial than placing points on stats and it's very clear cut which stats will be better for your chosen playstyle.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:30:26 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »

I appreciate all the wonderful info.

It sounds like a mixed bag of things I really like, and things I really hate to be honest. Could go either way.

In any event, I'm sold on giving Souls 1 a shot considering the price of it at this point.

The no music thing has me a bit put off. It really got on my nerves that there was no music for Dragons Dogma. I keep an open mind however that, perhaps I will feel differently about it with Souls.

I honestly think I would have been singing the praise of Demon's to this day had it not been for having to pull a re-start. I literally could not progress due to my character coupled with where I saved. As I said, I like "difficult" when I know that (with enough effort) I can succeed. That WAS NOT the case with my demons save file I had to abandon.  On that note...

I wouldnt be afraid of screwing up the progression in Dark however, the game is super flexible and allows for all kinds of playstyles. Upgrading equipment is much more crucial than placing points on stats and it's very clear cut which stats will be better for your chosen playstyle.

^^ That was my primary concern/turn off. So I greatly appreciate hearing that holy! Thanks for the advice.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »

Well.. even though I would advise against it.. if you really can't progress. You can always grind in Dark Souls and since the world is very connected you can backtrack and go anywhere or try different areas pretty much from fairly early in the game.

Klyde music is a big aspect for me in video games but I actually didn't mind how they did it in Dark Souls. Having music play only in climatic moments made everything pretty memorable. With that said, it's not something I want to see in other games. I think it fits Dark Souls but I don't see it fitting many other games.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:50:37 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Rockko

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »

Where the hell is this "shotgun" that everyone keeps going on about? I've seen nothing in the entire set of "leaked" pics that even resembles a shotgun, yet it's all I've heard about. What am I missing???
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »

Where the hell is this "shotgun" that everyone keeps going on about? I've seen nothing in the entire set of "leaked" pics that even resembles a shotgun, yet it's all I've heard about. What am I missing???

Left hand.

Masakado

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »

Here's a video which elaborates on the leaked material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M2Y-R18Mo0

I'm finally on twitter. If you're a history buff and/or interested in video games history and random rpg stuff, check out @masakadojo.
Rockko

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »

Left hand.

Oh okay, I see it now.

Kinda...

Thanks.
Vasco84

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »

Looks great, in From we trust!

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »

PROJECT BEAST WebM

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 11:32:17 PM »

Hopefully the footfall sound effects are tolerable. shit in Dark Souls 2 sounds awful
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 11:39:11 PM »

^Only sound that ever bother me in Souls was walking around with armor in the original Dark Souls. Later I got used to it after playing the game for so long.

---

"Here come the greatness!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: