Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 04:01:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331719 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Surprise! Drakengard 3 (aka; how to damn "nier" lose your shit about old title)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Print
Author Topic: Surprise! Drakengard 3 (aka; how to damn "nier" lose your shit about old title)  (Read 23734 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2014, 01:05:20 AM »

Destructoid really liked it.  Oddly enough, praising the mechanics more than anything.  Don't know what to think about that...

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »

I'm not going to be able to get this until September. :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »

I don't know how I feel about this game so far.

As someone with no Nier or Drakengard experience, I went into this without expectation. I am really pleased in some respects. But in the ways this game is flawed thus far, it is seriously hard to swallow.

The music, characters and mood are so unique and brutal its hard not to appreciate. They did a fine job of making dark, gruesome and provocative very artsy and beautiful at the same time here. For that reason alone I can safely say I like the title.

There are some real nice conveniences in the title I appreciate as well. The ability to quickly return and replay just about any segment of the missions, coupled with a nice timeline and story summary are things I wish more highly story driven and cinematic experiences would do. Its super accessible to revisiit, rewatch/replay anything.

However, my praise upon initial impression ends there.

The camera, control and framerate in this game is freaking atrocious. Screen tears, stutter, poor lock on and wonky-as-sin-camera make for a mechanically rough ride. Now, I'm not saying it is unplayable. I feel more or less like I am picking up and trying to play a really dated early ps2 hack and slash that was well received back in the day.... Good but very jarring to try and adjust to due to the dated and aged nuts and bolts, if you will.

Bad qualities aside, its refreshing to have something this unique in my hands at the moment.... I just wish it were a bit smoother!! LoL

OTHER THOUGHTS AND RANDOM INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
- It plays more or less like I had hoped Lightning Returns would have. This is a good thing in my book.
- I'm very intrigued by what they (hopefully) reveal to be Zero's motivations as the plot unfolds. Thus far she has the potential to be a real memorable character for me.
-I have now seen a baby dragon pee/crap upon getting yelled at.... and roll around in it. I feel like a more complete human being now.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »

As someone with no Nier or Drakengard experience, I went into this without expectation. I am really pleased in some respects. But in the ways this game is flawed thus far, it is seriously hard to swallow.

The music, characters and mood are so unique and brutal its hard not to appreciate. They did a fine job of making dark, gruesome and provocative very artsy and beautiful at the same time here. For that reason alone I can safely say I like the title.

There are some real nice conveniences in the title I appreciate as well. The ability to quickly return and replay just about any segment of the missions, coupled with a nice timeline and story summary are things I wish more highly story driven and cinematic experiences would do. Its super accessible to revisiit, rewatch/replay anything.

The camera, control and framerate in this game is freaking atrocious. Screen tears, stutter, poor lock on and wonky-as-sin-camera make for a mechanically rough ride. Now, I'm not saying it is unplayable. I feel more or less like I am picking up and trying to play a really dated early ps2 hack and slash that was well received back in the day.... Good but very jarring to try and adjust to due to the dated and aged nuts and bolts, if you will.

Bad qualities aside, its refreshing to have something this unique in my hands at the moment.... I just wish it were a bit smoother!! LoL

- It plays more or less like I had hoped Lightning Returns would have. This is a good thing in my book.
- I'm very intrigued by what they (hopefully) reveal to be Zero's motivations as the plot unfolds. Thus far she has the potential to be a real memorable character for me.
-I have now seen a baby dragon pee/crap upon getting yelled at.... and roll around in it. I feel like a more complete human being now.

Check out the weapon histories in the database on the title screen, especially for upgraded weapons.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2014, 11:17:37 PM »

Check out the weapon histories in the database on the title screen, especially for upgraded weapons.

One of my favorite things about the NieR/Drakengard series.

But seriously Klyde, play NieR.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2014, 11:44:28 PM »

Ok I loved Nier, didn't get into Drakengard, i got the CE unopened in my room?  My friend a level designer on it, hated the game(then again she hated the workplace more). 

Ebay or No?

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2014, 01:40:17 AM »

But seriously Klyde, play NieR.

This.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2014, 04:02:22 AM »

Klyde play Nier and read the novellas on each character in Drakengard 3, it will give you more insight on what makes them tick. http://drakengardgame.com/

Do the latter first :P

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2014, 07:33:27 AM »

Nier blows, avoid it.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2014, 08:46:57 AM »

Nier blows, avoid it.
^

That game fits my definition of "overrated" perfectly. Gets too much credit for being "different"

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »

Nie4's far from bad, but it's definitely a very specific taste needed to appreciate it as greatly as some do. I enjoyed nier, it was a fun romp, great music, and a very depressing storyline that didn't ever really get better, depending on how you progressed. I wouldn't recommend anyone lacking patience to this game because they will hate it.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »

Nier blows, avoid it.
^

That game fits my definition of "overrated" perfectly. Gets too much credit for being "different"

Plot-wise I think it deserves the credit for how different it is (and having a peculiar theme of "justified killing").  And musically too (where I stand by my statement that the like 20 OSTs they've released have probably made more bank than the game itself).

The gameplay is bizarre and not very good, and a lot of reviews have indeed reflected that.  So "overrated" isn't the best word I'd use.  It's good as far as a B-grade title goes, I guess.  I also never understood the "gameplay parodies" where they literally take from Zelda, Diablo, Resident Evil (in a "haunted manor" sequence no less), Bullet Hells, Plotformers (I think) and even dip into becoming a full novel at one point.  It was fun to play, but I'm not sure how well it worked, especially for a game that *does* take itself pretty seriously.... but it's not like the game was really a "blast" to play outside it, so I guess there was no harm in trying to spiffy up otherwise repetitive combat.

NieR is about its plot (and music), and I think it's a good recommendation when you get those "plot-hungry" players.  Hell, none of the Drakengard games have really played well, but their stories are what usually leave the impression instead.  And when games are often apt to deliver a happy ending, this series like to break it down whenever it can and give a finger to that idea when it can. :|

I feel the same, or rather, the opposite about Star Ocean 4.  The gameplay is a lot of fun.  But the story is laughable garbage.  Target? Gameplay-oriented players. (sure, it kinda sucks when a game almost "picks one thing" to do well...c'est la vie, they can't all be 10/10 I guess)

Ah well, at least NieR is like super cheap now.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »

Nier is the way it is because it doesn't really has an audience in mind, it only has a goal to reach and it used that opportunity to offer something different.

The game is not something you would recommend outside of being a curiosity.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2014, 03:53:58 PM »

Bullocks, I recommend Nier to everyone.

Seriously, the gameplay was not that bad.  It certainly wasn't perfect, the game was much too easy (to the point where you never even needed to use most of your abilities) and very repetitive.  But it ran fine, there was decent variety in the weapon types, and I really liked how the magic system worked (even though you didn't need to use it most of the time...).  I also appreciated the little gameplay mix-ups.  I mean, why not?

But when you add in the music and storytelling, holy shit is that an awesome package.  Of course you need to do a newgame+ to really appreciate the story and normally I would hate a game for doing that (I don't have time to replay games).  But they make it really easy to fly through your second playthrough, in fact it actually starts halfway through the game.  And when you consider what they did with the newgame+ mechanic I honestly don't know how else they could have pulled it off.  And I don't know any other game that's ever done something similar.

Anyway, back to Drakengard 3, here is a bizarre yet surprisingly informative interview with a puppet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTVa-JOyGA

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »

Bullocks, I recommend Nier to everyone.

Seriously, the gameplay was not that bad.  It certainly wasn't perfect, the game was much too easy (to the point where you never even needed to use most of your abilities) and very repetitive.  But it ran fine, there was decent variety in the weapon types, and I really liked how the magic system worked (even though you didn't need to use it most of the time...).  I also appreciated the little gameplay mix-ups.  I mean, why not?

But when you add in the music and storytelling, holy shit is that an awesome package.  Of course you need to do a newgame+ to really appreciate the story and normally I would hate a game for doing that (I don't have time to replay games).  But they make it really easy to fly through your second playthrough, in fact it actually starts halfway through the game.  And when you consider what they did with the newgame+ mechanic I honestly don't know how else they could have pulled it off.  And I don't know any other game that's ever done something similar.

You're the man!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: