Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 05:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341139 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Surprise! Drakengard 3 (aka; how to damn "nier" lose your shit about old title)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print
Author Topic: Surprise! Drakengard 3 (aka; how to damn "nier" lose your shit about old title)  (Read 28788 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2014, 10:30:57 AM »

Ok folks, time for the obligatory question you always know someone will pose before a franchise gets a new installment....

I never got around to Nier. Should I do so before Drakengard 3 comes out or can I hold off for a rainy day sometime in the future?

I ask because I foresee the end of my current RPG focus in the not so distant future and I really want to get to Escha and Dodgy next, but I also totally want my ducks in order for Drakengard's release at the end of may.

I hate new releases.... they conflict my "wants" with my "shoulds" in terms of my gaming agenda. LoL
From import reviews and impressions, it seems like the general consensus is that D3 is better in gameplay, but Nier is better in everything else.  So, take that for what it's worth.

Heh, from what I've also heard, D3's gameplay ain't too shit hot either (playing like a bad PS2 game or something like that).

I'd play Nier just to find out if you're interested in the world. It certainly isn't for everyone. I for one hated Nier and lost all interest in this game after trying it.

I played the game on easy, where you basically can't get killed, and wouldn't want to struggle with a game like that since the gameplay is so wooden.  I loved it for what it was, and truly -- in narrative and story style -- there's nothing like it.  But gameplay isn't one of its better features (I did love the "ripoff" sections that took from Zelda, Diablo, or even bullet hell titles...that was interesting).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »

So am I the only one here who really likes Nier's gameplay?  It felt very...arcade-like and kept things interesting with its different styles, not to mention it gets a lot better in the second half.  I just never understood the criticism for it.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »

So am I the only one here who really likes Nier's gameplay?  It felt very...arcade-like and kept things interesting with its different styles, not to mention it gets a lot better in the second half.  I just never understood the criticism for it.

I absolutely *adore* the idea of each magic being ideal for different situations and that the triggers for them were fun to combine.

I just didn't like how it felt.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »

I wouldn't say that I really liked Nier's gameplay, but I certainly didn't dislike it the way some people seem to.  I found it adequate but nothing special.  I thought they had some pretty cool ideas for the magic system but they were under-utilized.  The gameplay mix-ups helped keep things fresh, though.

My biggest complaint is that it was just way too easy.  It's a complete cakewalk on normal, never really making me feel challenged and therefore not giving me a whole lot of reason to fully explore all available moves and stuff.  Honestly, Dice, I'm kind of surprised that you would play it on easy.  I can't see the need.

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »

thanks for the advice folks!

I tried it (Nier) awhile back very briefly and was turned off for some silly reason I can't recall involving the MC.... I think it was something terribly dumb and superficial... In any event I still own it and always intended on getting to it, but like so many others the epic quantity of all those "still need to get to" titles is bewildering.

My primary concern was that Drakengard 3, if played first, may in some sense spoil my experience with Nier. I really want to get to it in all honesty, but I feel like I need to get to a few other titles first if you catch my meaning.

Atelier Escha and Dodgy being one of them, Tales of Eternia, Hyperdimension Nep. Victory, Lost Odyssey, and Romancing Saga 3 (oddly enough) are all presently vying for the position of "my next game". I posed this question now though because I can wait on those titles and play Nier in the interest of setting myself up nicely for Drakengard if I'm mindful and make the call now.

I'm weird. Once I resolve myself to a title its pretty much "on" until I'm through with it for the most part, so I figured I best discern whether Nier should be priority before Drakengard now so I'm not aggrivated at the end of May that I'm "behind". I am gonna do the pre-order deal for Drakengard and I HATE getting a game in the mail I can't play because I'm an installment behind-LoL!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »

Atelier Escha and Dodgy

Why do you keep calling it that?

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »

My primary concern was that Drakengard 3, if played first, may in some sense spoil my experience with Nier. I really want to get to it in all honesty, but I feel like I need to get to a few other titles first if you catch my meaning.
I don't think Drakengard 3 would spoil a Nier experience.  It would probably do that more with Drakengard 1 and 2 if you haven't played those.  Actually, I think I remember the director saying that fans should not expect something similar to either Drakengard or Nier, or else they will be disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:34:20 PM by Elegance » Logged
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »

Atelier Escha and Dodgy

Why do you keep calling it that?

Because I keep screwing up and have been saying "Dodgy" in my head instead of "Logy"... I actually believed that was the title for so long, I'm not even catching myself when I do it! Sorry about that :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »

Interesting panel by Taro Yoko:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/20/nier-drakengard-creator-says-nier-inspired-9-11/

...they really should make the url more accurate to the title of the article.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »

That article is really interesting. I thought it was kind of funny how his example of something to make people sad was so cliche, until he started adding details and I was like "Holy crap, that's a scene from Nier!"

And he thinks his games don't cause emotional reactions? Okay, Drakengard 1 maybe...the characters are so twisted and awful, and the gameplay is so incredibly clunky that it's really hard to get sucked in, but Nier had an amazing (and dark) story with many moments that impacted me. And the music really helped.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »

^Pretty sure he said thinking that as a developer could have done a better job and offer more of what he/she wanted. Is not the first time I've seen it happen with people into the entertainment business that usually either tend to go with the flow of things or judge the quality of their work a lot.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »

Turns out this isn't a SE store exclusive anymore because Amazon has pre-orders up.  I haven't seen any other retailers have it though, so...not sure what's up with that, but at least it provides an alternative for those that don't want to gamble with Digital River (or are in Europe).
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »

not a good score from RPGfan's own Kstar
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/drakengard_3/b/ps3/archive/2014/05/20/drakengard-3-review-game-informer.aspx
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »

That seems the consensus around the board, so... 

:/

Import reviews weren't very glowing either.  And while I love Taro Yoko's twisted mind, and usually very unique plot twists (and how!), the dated look and gameplay sounds like something I'm gonna wait for some big price cuts on.

It's actually kind of amazing; none of the game's instalments have been reviewed well, but hell, its got 3.5 instalments under its belt...so I guess that counts for something.

(NieR = .5)

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting.  Drakengard 1 and 2 weren't exactly shining bastions of gameplay.  In fact, the first game was flat out unfun and miserable to play. They only really excelled at story and characters, which were good enough that it made the pain of playing somewhat tolerable.  2 was slightly better in the gameplay department, weaker in story and characters.

I guess more Nier and less Drakengard was expected/desired?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: