Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 09:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330064 Posts in 13526 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Surprise! Drakengard 3 (aka; how to damn "nier" lose your shit about old title)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Print
Author Topic: Surprise! Drakengard 3 (aka; how to damn "nier" lose your shit about old title)  (Read 22698 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »

Nier is totally on deck. You guys convinced me a month or two ago. The title is sitting on my shelf right now actually.... but if I wasn't completely sold on it before, playing Drakengard 3 has me intrigued enough to explore the franchise further beyond this title.

Now mind you we are talking about backlog here. As such, it may be this time next year that I finally get to it. LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2014, 01:48:22 AM »

Surprised no one else posted this new insight into Yoko Taro's mind:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/20/gloating-killing-people-strange-drakengards-protagonist-insane/

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2014, 04:08:59 AM »

I saw that interview a couple days ago it's pretty great.  It's rare I will watch an interview that long for a game I'm not even planning to buy lol
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2014, 04:11:44 AM »

just started playing this game.

DONT ROLL AROUND IN THE FUCKING MUD!

cracked me up.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2014, 04:23:07 AM »

Surprised no one else posted this new insight into Yoko Taro's mind:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/20/gloating-killing-people-strange-drakengards-protagonist-insane/

But I did post it...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »

Bullocks, I recommend Nier to everyone.

Seriously, the gameplay was not that bad.  It certainly wasn't perfect, the game was much too easy (to the point where you never even needed to use most of your abilities) and very repetitive.  But it ran fine, there was decent variety in the weapon types, and I really liked how the magic system worked (even though you didn't need to use it most of the time...).  I also appreciated the little gameplay mix-ups.  I mean, why not?

But when you add in the music and storytelling, holy shit is that an awesome package.  Of course you need to do a newgame+ to really appreciate the story and normally I would hate a game for doing that (I don't have time to replay games).  But they make it really easy to fly through your second playthrough, in fact it actually starts halfway through the game.  And when you consider what they did with the newgame+ mechanic I honestly don't know how else they could have pulled it off.  And I don't know any other game that's ever done something similar.

Sure. You can see it however you want, but that doesn't mean what I said before is not true.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »

Nier is the way it is because it doesn't really has an audience in mind, it only has a goal to reach and it used that opportunity to offer something different.

The game is not something you would recommend outside of being a curiosity.

Saying it doesn't have an audience feels....vague and not exactly accurate.  Most titles can find an audience, and NieR certainly has as its fans, like how a B-grade film can get a ton of love. 

The game has a wonderful story and interesting characters... and from my experience, that's oddly enough easy to sell an RPG half the time to casual[?] players (saying "it's got *ze besuto* OST ever" works well too).

Anyway, back to Drakengard 3, here is a bizarre yet surprisingly informative interview with a puppet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTVa-JOyGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTVa-JOyGA#t=240
The stuff he says about 9/11 (rather the bit after) is actually pretty brilliant.
And yay puppets!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »

Saying it doesn't have an audience feels....vague and not exactly accurate.  Most titles can find an audience, and NieR certainly has as its fans, like how a B-grade film can get a ton of love.

I think you understood what I said backwards.

Nier has it fans now, yeah, but at first it went to be released as this odd release that many at the time didn't knew what to make of it or where unsure to get into. With time the game got its audience thanks to word of mouth and the noise generated on the Internet.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »

The game is not something you would recommend outside of being a curiosity.

Bullocks, I recommend Nier to everyone.

Sure. You can see it however you want, but that doesn't mean what I said before is not true.

Um...actually, no, it does mean what you said is not true.  In the most straightforward, literal way possible.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »

smh.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »

I think there's a misunderstanding between truth and opinion.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »

Fun Fact: The guy that plays Tucco in the fantastic The Good The Bad and the Ugly is none other than Eli Herschel Wallach, born in Brooklyn.
Yes that's right, a bad Mexican bandito played by a Jewish chap from NYC!

Acting!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »

so how long does it typically take them to get updates and patches out for games? I never paid attention to such things in the past but I am seriously considering putting this game on hold until it runs a bit smoother.

after about a dozen missions, I finally played 1 side mission last night that ran smooth. it was MARVELOUS!!!! I actually didn't realize just how bad the game was running until I experienced that.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath on a patch for that though, I think we're gonna be stuck with the release version (I could be wrong, but from my experience I don't think it runs poorly enough that a patch will get put out). I've sorta gotten used to my PS3 games running like shit, but I don't find this one to be /too/ bad.

Gameplay issues aside, this is pretty much everything I wanted or hoped for. Not as rad as Nier but it's awesome in its own way.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: