Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 07:14:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319236 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recommendations for RPGs on a PSPgo?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Recommendations for RPGs on a PSPgo?  (Read 3488 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »

Warning about Brave Story: it's effectively a UMD exclusive now. XSEED's license expired so it's no longer on PSN.
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »

So far, all the REALLY good ones have already been mentioned. But here's my opinion:

Trails in the Sky is great and needs the support so we can see the 2 sequels come state-side.

Persona 3 Portable is wonderful if you have 70+ hours to kill. Haha.

Riviera is a fun little short game.

Ys Seven was the best game I personally played on the PSP.

Final Fantasy 4: The Complete Collection if you want a BUNCH of great nostalgia.

And 2 turn based RPGs that I particularly enjoyed that weren't mentioned yet are Crimson Gem Saga(a fun, although pretty challenging game) and Hexyz Force(a fun and pretty damn easy game).

Yup, that's all I can come up with at the moment. I hope you find a good one! :)

pigTails of...
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »

Thanks for all the recommendations!

So far it looks like TitS is the thread favorite, although I am curious about the Y's games.

For those who have played both Oath and Seven what are the main differences between them, do they feel very different?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

Oath and Seven feel quite different.  Oath can be thought of as an evolution of the "traditional Ys" (no apostrophe!) system which heavily emphasizes positioning and basic attacks, while Seven takes things in a pretty different direction with more types of attacks and a party-based system.  I happen to like the approach in Seven, but it was a pretty big departure for the series and I know it was controversial among old-school Ys fans.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »

No recommends for Zettai Hero Project? A thousand lashings for each of you!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »

Trails in the Sky is very good.  

I also third Alisha's and GuardianBoi's recommendation of Hexyz Force.  I rather liked that game: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Hexyz_Force/index.html

And in terms of PS1 classics, a lot of people dislike Legend of Dragoon, but I liked it and think it is one of the most underrated Playstation RPGs: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/The_Legend_of_Dragoon/index.html

I approve of this nonsense!
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »

No recommends for Zettai Hero Project? A thousand lashings for each of you!

Looks like I actually have that one already, just haven't played it.

I checked my PSN account and it turns out I forgot about several games I had bought but never downloaded to the PSP (looking at the dates most of these were around the time my wife and I found out she was pregnant with our first in early 2011, which I guess distracted me from getting all of them at the time).  I'm grabbing them from PSN now.

Persona 3 portable
Disgaea 2
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Crimson Gem Saga
ZHP
Wild Arms XF

I'm still looking at TitS considering all the recommendations and the promotion on PSN now (and since I have some old PSN cards to blow).
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »

And in terms of PS1 classics, a lot of people dislike Legend of Dragoon, but I liked it and think it is one of the most underrated Playstation RPGs: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/The_Legend_of_Dragoon/index.html

I have been curious about this one, saw very mixed reviews back in the day.  It's in storage somewhere but unlikely I'll ever get around to playing on the original CDs.
At this rate it will end up being just another unplayed game in my old RPG collection that I am slowly selling off on amazon (I felt bad about this at first, but very little time to play console rpgs anymore).

I'd be more likely to give it a try on the PSP though (since I can stop and go whenever needed to accommodate a hyper toddler).
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 06:46:47 PM »

(I sort of want a PSP, for various Falcom wonderment OH FOR FUCKS SAKE AQUANAUT'S HOLIDAY 2 IS ON THE PSN can you buy japanese games on american PSP?????).

Currently playing Ys: Oath of Felghana on the PC and it's pretty fantastic.

In terms of PS1 classics, I liked the Arc the Lad games a lot, FFIX, Chrono Cross... fuck were those for PSP on PSN?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »

Vencoris- Legend of Dragoon is a slow burn (the game's story only starts getting really good at disk 3) and the battle system requires finicky timing, but I still dug it despite the flaws.  

And Wild Arms XF is another one I would give my seal of approval to.  I'm surprised that so many critics panned the game.  They must've been playing something else, because XF is good.   http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/wildarmsxf/index.html

I approve of this nonsense!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 07:16:08 PM »

Am I the only one who really didn't like Hexyz Force?  It's...inoffensive, I guess.  But it did absolutely nothing to grab me.  Everything about it feels tired and generic.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »

Am I the only one who really didn't like Hexyz Force?  It's...inoffensive, I guess.  But it did absolutely nothing to grab me.  Everything about it feels tired and generic.

It seemed to have middling reviews overall, but I think some people like its simplicity because a lot of games try to be innovative and Hexyz Force just wanted to be intuitive.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »

It's an OK game, but compared to stuff like Trails in the Sky it should be a damn low priority.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 12:25:17 AM »

i played hexyz force at a time when i was(and still am) starved for a turn based rpg. it quenched that thrist for a time.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 02:30:21 AM »

Yeah Hexyz is not amazing or anything.  It's very streamlined and easy to get into but the battle system isn't anything special and the story is pretty average.  I really love the graphics style though, looks very cute.  Better presentation values than Sting's other games generally have. 

I love Trails but it's extremely slow paced for prettymuch the entire game so it's not for everyone. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: