Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 04:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332768 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recommendations for RPGs on a PSPgo?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Recommendations for RPGs on a PSPgo?  (Read 4976 times)
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »

Due to a bizarre confluence of events (involving my 16 month old baby, my PS3 dying, and being unable to use my gaming PC) I recently pulled my PSP Go out of storage to get in a bit of gaming while I can.

Because this is a PSPGo it's restricted to what is on the PSN store (no UMDs) but I'm perfectly fine with PS1 classics as well.

I'm currently wrapping up Tactics Ogre: LUCT (really liking it) and I'm looking for suggestions on other RPG/SRPGs (or any other excellent games in general).

I'll offer up a few points/comments/questions on my tastes for reference:
  • I grew up on final fantasy and shining force, so older games don't bother me (unless they are bad, but that's a different story).
  • Due to being busy at college/grad school I missed many games in the ps1/ps2 era the first time around so remakes of classics are fine.
  • Valkyria Chronicles was one of my favorite games on ps3; but the highschool-esque setting of 2 is giving me pause (maybe I'm just getting too old), is it as good as the first (or at least in the same ballpark)?
  • Geopanels are awesome! (I must have spent more time trying to get perfect geopanel combos than killing monsters when I played the first Disgaea on ps2)
  • I played and enjoyed FF Tactics back on the ps1, is the psp remake worth getting and playing through again?
  • In addition to TO:LUCT on the PSP, I have previously played Jeanne D'arc (fun, but too far on the light/easy side), Symphony of the Night (excellent) and Final Fantasy 7 (good, but difficult to live up to the hype after 15 years of nostalgia and rose-colored glasses).

Browsing through the PSN store listings I'm paralyzed by choice and just looking for some suggestions on where to go next.  I can cross reference metacritic like everyone else, but tastes vary I was hoping to get some recommendations from firsthand experience.

Thanks for any input!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:03 AM »

TitS

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:19 AM »

TiTS seconded. Also, FFtactics on psp is pretty good. Proper translation, more content, and multiplayer missions give it a tad more awesome, but the lag from casting spells can drive you up a wall. Also, if you like action rpgs, Lord of Arcana is kind of fun.

TASTY!
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:29:50 AM »

^ What he means to say is The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Super charming old-school JRPG with really strong characters and an incredibly "alive" world. The full story spans over three games, and continues into a number of pseudo-sequels as well. Unfortunately, only the first chapter has been released in North America, and we haven't heard word about the rest, but chances are we've gotta get them in some form eventually. (Note: I am being ridiculously optimistic, haha.)

I also recommend Ys SEVEN and Ys: The Oath in Felghana, the latter moreso than the former. They're both great action RPGs, but if that's not up your alley, Trails is a safe bet for a turn-based RPG.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 01:35:02 AM »

TitS

TitS is great~~ <3

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:47:12 AM »

TitS sounds promising.

I enjoy action RPGs as well; but how linear are the new Y's games? (I've only played Y's 3 back on the SNES)

Are there any ps1 classics people would recommend up there with the new PSP games?  I haven't played Chrono Cross, Grandia or FF9 (played a bit, but didn't finish) for example.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »

Gives Trails in the Sky all the sales it can get!

Also check out the Ys games, and Final Fantasy Tactics DID get a fresh translation so that may make it worth going through again for you. Don't forget to look at the PS1 titles since you missed out on them, there's a lot that really should be added, but you've still got stuff like Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (remember to get Innocent Sin on PSP first though) and Alundra.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:51:39 AM »

TitS sounds promising.

I enjoy action RPGs as well; but how linear are the new Y's games? (I've only played Y's 3 back on the SNES)

Are there any ps1 classics people would recommend up there with the new PSP games?  I haven't played Chrono Cross, Grandia or FF9 (played a bit, but didn't finish) for example.

Listen to Eusis about Trails.  It needs it and it's one of the BEST kept RPG secrets for sure.

And you nailed a bunch off.  Go to, my fellow RPG-ikan!!!  Play and report back to us with progress~!!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:00:11 AM »

To actually answer your question about VC2, Vencoris, the gameplay is quite solid.  Even better than VC1 in many ways (it's better balanced, for starters), though it does suffer a bit from the smaller map size.  The story and presentation leave much to be desired, however.  Actually, they had all the pieces to make a decent story and then did...bugger all with them.  So I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

But yeah, TitS is great.  Just give it some time because it does start slow.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:12:21 AM »

if your looking for a more traditional style rpg i reccomend hexyz force and the lunar remake

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 07:38:27 AM »

You should look into Growlanser, they're pretty challenging and have a neat twist on strategy/real-time battle systems, and have similar amounts of political intrigue to FFT/Ogre.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »

I would recommend Persona 3 Portable. It is a somewhat improved version of the PS2 game and even has the possibility to play with a female MC with a bunch of different stuff, if you played the original.

Aother game I recommend is Corpse Part. This is more a survival horror than an RPG but if I'm not mistaken it was reviwed here, so it should count. This game has some great atmosphere, some shocking scenes and really good music.

daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »

You should look into Growlanser, they're pretty challenging and have a neat twist on strategy/real-time battle systems, and have similar amounts of political intrigue to FFT/Ogre.

This!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »

Aside from the very obvious choices in the PSone Classics (Chrono Cross, etc.), some good stuff is available:

Jeanne d'Arc - This is one of Level 5's best games.  They have a tendency to bloat their games, but there's none of that in Jeanne d'Arc.  Good, solid, traditional SRPG.

Brave Story: New Traveler - I still find this to be one of the better RPGs on the PSP.  It's very traditional and doesn't to a whole great deal that's outside the box, but it's very fluid and very charming.

Persona 3 Portable - P3 and P4 are great hybrids of traditional RPG dungeon crawling and life sim.  Don't pass this one up.

Yggdra Union or Riviera - These two Sting games are very different, but they're both quality games and will give you an idea about Sting's games and whether or not you're going to like them.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »

TitS sounds promising.

Listen to Eusis about Trails.  It needs it and it's one of the BEST kept RPG secrets for sure.

And you nailed a bunch off.  Go to, my fellow RPG-ikan!!!  Play and report back to us with progress~!!!

This.

Also, Wild Arms XF was really fun...the game MADE you choose certain classes for missions. If you try to stray too far away from logical choices, the game may very well hand your head back on a silver platter.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: