Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 11:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331339 Posts in 13569 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Girlfriend Rescue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Girlfriend Rescue  (Read 418 times)
Carter83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:18:54 AM »

Has anyone here tried the new Aldorlea game Girlfriend Rescue? http://www.aldorlea.org/girlfriendrescue.php
I've already played a few hours and so far it seem to be very different from let's say Millennium. There are multiple levels, each with limited number of enemies and one boss. This combined with not being able to save everywhere means tough fights, no grinding and fast-paced gameplay. Very enjoyable so far.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »

Ah Aldorlea, they've been around for years. Can't say I've ever been blown away by anything I've seen from them, but that's probably because I've spent quite some time hanging around the RPG Maker community back in the day (Heck, maybe one day I'll finally make that game I've been meaning to for the past 10+ years).

As for the game itself, it looks like stock RPG Maker produce, though at least their character art has improved. Going by the screenshots, the game can't seem to decide on a style. Portraits, menus and other art being a lot more "modern" and "smooth" compared to the retro chipsets and sprites the rest of the game seems to be sporting. There's absolutely no way I'd pay $15 for something like that. Not with the stuff I've seen done with RM in the past.

Either way, regardless of what I think of their games (especially since I've never played any of them), It's nice to see that they're still about. Who knows, maybe I'm missing out on something good here.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: No idea yet
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah!
Carter83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »

Visuals are just a small part of the whole experience. Story, level design and gameplay are important, too. And Aldorlea usually shines in these department - with Girlfriend Rescue being no exception.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:01:01 AM »

Visuals are just a small part of the whole experience. Story, level design and gameplay are important, too. And Aldorlea usually shines in these department - with Girlfriend Rescue being no exception.

It really depends on what you like. From what I've seen you enjoy Aldorlea games and the Laxius Power series. I really didn't care for what I played of any of the Laxius games (The early ones, before he went commercial) and found the art rather creepy. To each his own.

NOW PLAYING:
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:14:18 PM »

It really depends on what you like. From what I've seen you enjoy Aldorlea games and the Laxius Power series. I really didn't care for what I played of any of the Laxius games (The early ones, before he went commercial) and found the art rather creepy. To each his own.

That's not really doing justice to the Laxius series. While it's true that the original Power series is... underwhelming on some points, Laxius Force franks things up a notch. Well, sort of. If you're absolutely need good visuals, then Force isn't going to do it for you. (Although the art is a major improvement over the Power games.) Force was the first commercial game that Indanira (the creator of the Laxius series, as well as the man behind Aldorlea games,) put out. He couldn't just rip graphics and tracks from other sources like he did with LPIII, so he instead just resorted to using the default RMXP resources. (Although the character art is original and, again, much improved.) Although, after the first LF game, Aldorea started putting out other IP's, many of which used original graphics and music. The problem with LF was that the series would use save-transfers, which meant that the same kind of graphics and tracks from the first game had to be used for much of the next two, in order to be both compatible, and share internal consistency. In addition to all that, the English, while better than the Power games, can still be a bit awkward at time, but English wasn't his first language, so what can you do?

Personally, I rather enjoy the Laxius Force games. The gameplay is hardcore and addicting, with dungeon-crawling galore, and status effects, buffs, and debuffs are very important in the tougher fights, of which there are many. The story's also much more original than the Power series, as it basically involves a warlord from a futuristic space-opera setting trying to demolish a fantasy world that's suffering from the beginnings of a mass invasion of demons, with our heroes stuck in the middle. Most importantly, the telling of the story is a major improvement over the Power games, particularly when you get to LFII, and it just keeps rolling from there. The only downside is that if you get the games from Aldorea's site, they can cost anywhere from $25-$30 bucks. I don't care if each game can last anywhere from 30-80 hours. (Which they can.) It's still too much for a game that almost entirely uses resources that came straight out of the RMXP box. There are some sites which offer the games for $10 each, which is better, but I don't know if they have the latest versions of the games. There were some bugs in the first releases of the games that only got ironed out in later patches, and in Laxius Force III in particular, there's a nasty bug that crops up when you get a certain new character that shuts the game down until you get the latest version to fix it. So while I think the games are good if you can look past their interior's, I strongly believe that they need a mass price reduction. This isn't quite the same for other Aldorea games, however, as the others actually use a bevy of new resources created for the games. (There are still a few RM sprites and tilesets, but again, there is still a good amount of original material.)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »

What can I say, I used to play a lot of the indie RM titles and I've seen some pretty impressive stuff back in the day. The only impressive thing that I found about any of the Laxius games was that he stuck to it and made so many of the damn things in the first place (that takes some major dedication and is worth of praise). I'm pretty sure they're still floating around the internet somewhere, so I might take another crack at the original series some day and see weather they're really as bad as I remember (the awkward translation didn't help either). There's absolutely no way I'm willing to pay even half of what any of the Aldorlea games cost at the moment though, so unless they go on a bundle or reevaluate their prices to something less ridiculous, I'm going to have to pass on their commercial stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:54:07 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 06:19:02 PM »

I too enjoyed Aldorlea's stuff back in the day (Millennium even won indie RPG of the year in our 2009 GOTY feature).  Hell, I enjoyed a LOT of commercial RPGMaker stuff.  Eternal Eden by Blossomsoft is still one of the most polished JRPGs I've played in recent years, and it incorporated some good ideas that I hope more games try out. 

But I'm sorry to say that I'm jaded now.  I see one RPGM game, I've seen them all.  An RPGM game needs to stand apart and above to get my attention.  And if I can get a super duper professional quality game like Revolution 60 for my iPad for less than half the price of a commercial RPGM game, then you can bet your sweet ass I'm going that route, because a lot of indie devs are totally upping their game. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Carter83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 03:50:00 AM »

300+ hours of a great fun for something like 60 EUR doesn't feel expensive, at least for my. And I'll yet have to see a game that offers me as deep and rewarding experience as Laxius series.

Anyway, this is a topic about Girlfriend Rescue, not about Aldorlea in general. And since I felt its "level" structure and fairly "action" gameplay made it very different from the other RM games I played I brought it to attention here.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 06:43:05 AM »

But I'm sorry to say that I'm jaded now.  I see one RPGM game, I've seen them all.  An RPGM game needs to stand apart and above to get my attention.

More or less sums up my sentiments, though you can get quite a bit out of a generic looking RM title as long as enough care went into everything else. I've seen some amazing stuff done with RTP and the DBS.
It's not quite the same with commercial titles though, you just expect more from something that has a price tag.

300+ hours of a great fun for something like 60 EUR doesn't feel expensive, at least for my. And I'll yet have to see a game that offers me as deep and rewarding experience as Laxius series.

Anyway, this is a topic about Girlfriend Rescue, not about Aldorlea in general. And since I felt its "level" structure and fairly "action" gameplay made it very different from the other RM games I played I brought it to attention here.

I'm sure its a good deal for someone who obviously likes the series and general crafting style of the creator. For someone who had a very different experience with the series however, the current asking price is simply more than I'd be willing to take a chance on. It's not mountains of gold, but no one likes to throw money at something they don't expect they'll enjoy.

NOW PLAYING:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: