Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 10:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331266 Posts in 13564 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem -- Why do I play it???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem -- Why do I play it???  (Read 4194 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:06:16 PM »

Guys, I am totally not understanding why I not only play but fucking L O V E, to the point of creaming on my GBA, playing Fire Emblem.

It's all smooth sailing until someone dies.  It's like my GBA is a totally pimping lime green Cadillac and I'm sailing it down the river, but then after a two hour long battle NERF Eliwood dies.  Or Eirika dies.  Or Ike dies.  Then I have to start the battle over again from the beginning.  And play for another two hours.  Only to die again!

WHAT.

THE HECK.

I honestly don't know why I put up with it!  Is it the story I enjoy so much?  Probably not, it's usually the same fare as other RPGs.  Is it the characters?  Well, the characters are cool, but like in most SRPGs, not nearly enough development.  Is it the fact that challenging games are much better than just hacking at X while fighting some random goblins?

...Yes!

It's the fact that the games are somewhat challenging at points.  Not just simplistic romps through the woods beating up goblins for a couple of quid.  The fact that you can royally fuck up and lose characters for the rest of the game.  No simple, yikes i will need to spend 200 gp after the battle to get florina back, it's the fact that if you WANT Florina back, you are starting over from the start of that battle.

So I play FE cause it's fun to think about how to kill some swordsmen!

Anyway, does anyone feel this way about FE as well?  Hell, about ANY game this way?  That a bit of difficulty actually makes it fun?  The fact that a real game rewards you for winning and presents you with something to lose if you do indeed take a long sword up the wazzoo?

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »

Why don't you just play by the rules and just allow people to die :D

So many PC games have this option, but I bet 99% of people out there restart...I know I do :D
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »

I got into the story and characters personally so that keep me going, and the challenge does at to that. I would just feel like an ass losing someone so I do tend to reset.... a lot. I admit I do wind up losing 1-3 by the end of the game, but usually by the end of the longest lvl's or the hardest lvl's so I lived with that. To me, Fire Emblem has some mysterious force that just makes me keep playing. It can be quite addicting.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »

I'm with ya, Rich....i fucking hate it and love it for the same reasons you do.

I stopped playing Sacred Stones at the big desert battle where the two parties are reunited.....because ONE fucker would keep dying.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:05 PM »

I have never played FE, but I agree with your points otherwise. Challenge adds a lot of fun.
I have to admit, though, I always reset when I lose a character - VH, Baldurs Gate to give two examples.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:49:24 PM »

I don't love the games, BECAUSE THEY DRIVE ME INSANE!!!!

I couldn't bear to let a character die, I had to restart every time. And when I sucked at the games as much as I did, that was very often :P So eventually I had to give up.

I enjoyed the game being challenging, but alas, it was a little too challenging for me.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 02:25:31 PM »

I love the Fire Emblem games. I played most of them multiple times and the only one I didn't finish is Fire Emblem Gaiden. I don't let characters die. Throughout my whole Fire Emblem game I have made one sacrifice, Lucius died during the final battle and because I actually had a chance of winning that attempt I didn't reset. It was kinda ironic. I mean, Lucius, of all characters... and he was my favorite character too :(
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:36:40 PM »

Kind of heroic, dont ya think?

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:54:12 PM »

I enjoy the fact it isn't mindless fun, but that I actually have to think about the next moves I make rather than mashing buttons. The difficulty also entices me. I'm nowhere near as hardcore as I used to be when it comes to game difficulty (I used to play through Megaman 2 on daily basis for hell's sakes) but higher difficulty levels appeal to me because I enjoy the rewarding experience from kicking a hard game in the ass. Fire Emblem gives me ample opportunities for doing that, so I like it.

Although I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed by the "ease" of the games released in America and Europe after I played FE6. On the other hand, I'm grateful they're easier after playing FE5 because holy shit that one is fucking torture for a completionist.

Lastly I enjoy the battle system. It is easy to grasp but surprisingly deep and challenging at the same time. Perfect.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 03:33:24 PM »

I'm the same way.  I do not let my characters die and if they do, I restart the level.  It adds a higher degree of difficulty (perfectionism?) and makes me play much more strategic (usually more defensive, no?).  

It also lets me not screw up and make sure I'm leveling correctly and not over leveling one person.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 04:59:30 PM »

I am the opposite of most of you. I HATE hard games. I'm not very fond of sitting down after a long hard day and getting my ass kicked by a game.
Awhile back, I tried playing some Fire Emblem game for the GBA. Sacred Stones, I think it was. I don't think I made it past the first battle. Some characters died. I tried a couple more times. They kept dying. I never turned the game on again. (just as an aside, I used to LOVE the Shining Force games. MY kind of SRPGS)
Not to say I don't mind a bit of a challenge, but my perspective on gaming is definitely different that it used to be.
Nowadays, a game has to be FUN to keep my interest. Hard =/= fun to me.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 05:09:46 PM »

Christ, and Sacred Stones was the easiest one, too...

I like Fire Emblem, despite it being one of the most generic franchises I've ever played, but the fanbase annoys me so much I've stopped playing it. I've never seen a fanbase whose majority is composed of frothing-at-the-mouth dumbass fucks like Fire Emblem's is. Even Final Fantasy fans have more integrity.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »

Fuck Fire Emblem.  When you get massacred in a fucking tutorial like I did, you know that's not a game you should be playing. :P

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:16:47 PM »

Resetting the game after losing a character is mandatory. How else are you going to find out what happens to them after the game is over? That one little blurb they give you for each character means worlds. -_-

But I know what you mean. I make the game even harder for myself by not using my strong people (people that are already promoted to their second classes in the very beginning of the game). FE games are damn fun though, and yeah it is because they are the most challenging games I've played in a long time. Until you get to the final battles and whore out your ultimate weapons and spells, then it's cake. But the journey to the final battle can be tough.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 05:18:11 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
Fuck Fire Emblem.  When you get massacred in a fucking tutorial like I did, you know that's not a game you should be playing. :P

You suck at gaming.

Leave here in shame.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: