Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 24, 2014, 07:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341471 Posts in 13952 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I wanna play Growlanser Generations but I dont because of this persistant rumor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I wanna play Growlanser Generations but I dont because of this persistant rumor  (Read 1253 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:28:54 PM »

the game has a blue bottom disc and the old rumor was the blue discs mess around with the lens of the console. Does anyone know if this was true or still is? I'm using a slim PS2. I mean I have so many other PSX and PS2 games that I could play that are regular. Yes I know the blue discs for PS2 are just CD's instead of DVD's. Does the PS2 have multiple lens one for CD's and PSX games and one for DVDs and PS2 games that switch when a certain disc is put into the console. Someone help thanks
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »

i don't know a blessed thing about the lens or "how what" "reads what".... now can I say that I am familiar with the rumor....

Now, what I can say is that I personally have played the hell out of blue discs without any problem..... For growlanser generations I would take the risk...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »

Let me tell you this...

I personally played--heck, even still play it presently--the hell out of Growlanser Generations (both games) and have found no issues with my Fat PS2. It plays perfectly without damage to my system. If your PS2 breaks down, it's because it's a wuss (and it should be ashamed of itself).

Happy gaming!

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »

*checks* .... they really are blue bottom disks.  don't know anything about the rumor though.  

my old fat PS2 is dead though.  won't read a damn thing.  got it used in the first place though.  it had a good run I guess...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:05:15 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:23 PM »

I played mine on my Slim Jim PS2, so if that's your beast then you're good to go.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »

I've played both games on my modded PS2, which miraculously still works after all this time.  No problems at all here.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »

Every NIS game was a blue CD and they never destroyed a PS2 that I know of.
(Also, I played both Growlanser games on my elderly PS2 without any problem)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:57 AM »

the game has a blue bottom disc and the old rumor was the blue discs mess around with the lens of the console.

Blue bottom discs are CDs, not DVDs. DVDs on the PS2 are silver.

CDs don't mess with the laser. Rather, they're slightly thinner than DVDs, and so some PS2s have problems reading the disc. It doesn't hurt the laser, your disc just won't load.

This can be remedied in two ways: First, try laying the console sideways. A lot of times, the PS2 can read CDs/blue discs/PSX games that way.

If THAT doesn't work, you can put four pieces of tape around the hole in the middle of the disc. The extra weight will let the PS2... spin it up properly.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

I had some problems with a blue disc once (La Pucelle Tactics), but that old PS2 (bought used, an ex-rental from a videostore) needed a good cleaning anyway. Once the dust was gone it played everything again.

daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »

When I read the thread topic I thought the rumor was going to be "Growlanser Generations is so freakin' awesome it makes most other JRPGs seem like monotonous, linear trash in comparison". That rumor is basically true.[/spoiler]

I've played GG and probably a few other blue discs and my PS2 is still kicking so I think you're good to go. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:49:16 AM by daved » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »

Oh, also, playing burnt discs, and possibly CD Roms altogether, in a Dreamcast can apparently mess up the laser.

I think you're conflating two separate issues on different systems.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: