Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329786 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What's your criteria when choosing a starter Pokemon?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: What's your criteria when choosing a starter Pokemon?  (Read 4892 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 06:34:47 PM »

Speculation time! 

I predict Chespin will be grass/fighting because of its slashing claws.  I predict Fennekin will be fire or fire/normal unless it deviates big time from the precedents set by other "fire dog" pokemon like Vulpix and Growlithe.  Froakie is a tough one to predict.  I'm thinking water/ice since the moustache and all look like snow clouds on high mountains, and there are frogs, like the Alaskan wood frog, who can freeze themselves into hibernation and generally survive in Arctic circle climates. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »

I predict...

Froakie: Water

Chespin: Grass

Fennekin: Fire

Pokemon don't like changing da formula.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »

I'll likely choose Chespin or Finnekin.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

I tier-whored in Gen 1 so it was bulbasaur for me. Been avoiding fire for a few gens because they were all fire-fighting, rumors are that the new one will be fire-psychic though. But yeah, Fennekin looks like it has the biggest potential to look cool so thats for me.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »

I tier-whored in Gen 1 so it was bulbasaur for me. Been avoiding fire for a few gens because they were all fire-fighting, rumors are that the new one will be fire-psychic though. But yeah, Fennekin looks like it has the biggest potential to look cool so thats for me.

To be fair though, it was really hard to not tier-whore gen 1(sans Yellow) due to the utter lack of anything that can deal with Rock & Water early on (the Electric resistance is cute too but doesn't matter against Guile Lt. Surge due to Sonic Boom spam). Once you hit Diglett Cave though and caught yourself a lucky level 29 Dugtrio you were set for the rest of the game (by the time Dugtrio stops being enough is when you should already have and finished raising Larpas/Snorlax/Gyarados/or something similarly asskicking). Additionally dealing with the first Mt. Moon and Rock Cave is really annoying without something that can oneshot Geodudes.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2013, 04:40:43 AM »

This is an interesting question. It really depends, normally during my first playthrough of a pokemon game I will choose the most badass looking. On a replay playthrough I tend to choose the grass type starter because for some reason I have this idea in my head that they are the underdogs of the starters.

Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2013, 12:39:20 AM »

Hrrrmm... I never really think about what I'm going to choose, I go with my gut. At the same time I've played with a Grass starter 3 out of 5 times and I would have picked Treeko over Mudkip if I knew what the evolution looked like. I tend to like the ability to absorb life with grass and they look like dinosaurs. For X and Y I plan to pick Froakie because he is cute as hell, but I'm gonna wait to see the evolutions. I hope Froakie is Water/Dark that would be the best.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »

I pick the loneliest looking one.

:(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: