Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319702 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Annoying Moments in otherwise Great Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Annoying Moments in otherwise Great Games  (Read 4106 times)
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »

No worry, I know most people think AT3 is bad and I can see why. I guess I can easily ignore those things that others couldn't.

Nope sorry, AT3 was terrible.
Any part you dread in games you love?
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »

1. I actually liked DQVII's opening.

2. Kislev Sewer's was by far my least favorite dungeon in XG. Babel had issues, nobody's denying that, but fuck babel didn't make me quit playing the game totally on multiple occasions.

Also that bit where they game briefly turns into a shmup and you have to assault that... aircraft carrier thing. The fuck was with that?

3. Water Temple is my favorite dungeon in OoT and also the temple I had the easiest time with. My most annoying moment in OoT would instead go to the Fire Temple.

Also horseback archery. Fuq dat.

4. FFIX, Chrono Cross, heck a lot of late PSX games - THE FRAMERATE.

5. BoFIV - Nautilus driving.

6. Lunar: TSSSC - Hey let's remove that hint for how to get through Mythe's Tower from the US translation !!11111

7. SMT: Nocturne - The second subway dungeon has the distinction of being the only dungeon in that game I didn't like.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

raisel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

Nope sorry, AT3 was terrible. Even the songs were weak compared to 1 or 2's. Also, after Croix, it was hard to go back to Lyner levels of idiocy again. Also also, only having the three vanguards for the entire game was incredibly boring, especially when there were so many other characters that could've jumped in as well.

Agreed with the bit on the number of vanguards. However, I disagree on the fact the game was terrible and even the songs were weak, considering that it had jewels on the levels of Singing Hill ~Harmonics TILIA~, Windstone, Arphage, Fusionsphere, Cosmoflips, Rebirthia Protocol, Hymmeli and all of the songs that play during the battle with the final boss, not to mention each of the four ending themes. Aside of that, while the first half of the plot seems to be a series of disconnected events, in the end all of them make sense and lead to the conclusion of the entire series, also bringing full-circle the worldbuilding the developers started with the first game.

One of the things I liked about AT 1 and 2 is that there was actual, interesting character development to go along with the fanservice (and even the fanservice wasn't nearly as blatent as AT3...).  The whole idea of diving into a character's mind and having them confront their deepest issues was seriously pretty cool.  But AT3 introduced all these sub-personalities and as a result it didn't really spend any time developing any of them.  They just come off as a bunch of 2D stereotypes.

Saki is the only character that really didn't have much development, which had to do with the fact that the developers wanted to make her as the only girl that was entirely pure in the franchise, which was to be a large point of contrast to Finnel's myriad of issues, not to mention that the girls in the previous game had so many psychological problems buried in their minds as well as flaws, that they thought it would be refreshing to have a girl that didn't have much of a dark side in her. I think it doesn't need to be said that it backfired.

No worry, I know most people think AT3 is bad and I can see why. I guess I can easily ignore those things that others couldn't.

In this point we both agree.

Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »

Can I choose the entire Kislev sewer dungeon in Xenogears? And Babel tower? At least Babel tower has gear battles and good music, so it's the lesser of the two evils.

I never got the complaints about the sewer dungeon, it was alright with me, and Babel had badly designed platforming.
Dat sand canal in WA3, Life in the Sands (optional) in Nier, most of the dungeons in Tales of Legendia and Symphonia.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »

Can I choose the entire Kislev sewer dungeon in Xenogears? And Babel tower? At least Babel tower has gear battles and good music, so it's the lesser of the two evils.

I never got the complaints about the sewer dungeon, it was alright with me, and Babel had badly designed platforming.
Dat sand canal in WA3, Life in the Sands (optional) in Nier, most of the dungeons in Tales of Legendia and Symphonia.

It's not really the sewer dungeon itself, it's just that Kislev really locks you in. The sewer dungeon has an annoying layout and kind of sucks, but it's the combination of suck dungeon + THAT ENTIRE SEGMENT SUCKS that really does it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »

The Sewer Dungeon in TOS lived up to being a "sewer dungeon" in the worst ways...  Worst was it just took a long time, even when you knew what to do.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 08:33:02 PM »

It's not really the sewer dungeon itself, it's just that Kislev really locks you in. The sewer dungeon has an annoying layout and kind of sucks, but it's the combination of suck dungeon + THAT ENTIRE SEGMENT SUCKS that really does it.

It also threw the brakes on the plot which had just finished part of the game's Gundam analogue with your carrier sinking into the desert, and the fate of your party, sans Citan who ducked out of that mess at the last minute and Fei who we once again rejoin after the intermission, is left on a cliffhanger.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »

Some belated additions:

The entire Fourth Stratum in the first EO.  This is due mostly to the game's limitations in mapping compared to the newer titles, but it makes the Stratum an absolute nightmare and utterly unfun.

Air's rock in Golden Sun 2.

Kalm in FFVII. I admit this is probably because I think Midgar is the best part of the game, but Kalm is always, always where I lose interest when I attempt to replay the game.

Just about every ghost ship ever. I don't think I've ever found a game I enjoyed a ghost shop segment in.  I'd welcome recommendations, though.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »

Mass Effect: Anything with the Mako

Baldur's Gate 2: Irenicus's Dungeon (I know there's that mod to skip the beginning, but still) and that dungeon in the circus tent.

Persona 4: Void Quest (great concept, annoying dungeon)

Final Fantasy 9: The Ice Cavern. I just remember that dungeon dragging and fighting flan after flan after flan after flan.

999: Puzzles in later playthroughs.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »

Grandia and Seiken Densetsu III's ghost ships aren't that bad.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »

Final Fantasy 9: The Ice Cavern. I just remember that dungeon dragging and fighting flan after flan after flan after flan.

I retrospect, I remember thinking the same thing when the game came out, but I'm... pretty sure it's all of four screens long.

o/` I do not dream o/`

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »

Whenever I love a game, my memory usually retroactively just glosses over the annoyances I may have had but for some reason I really didn't enjoy the sewer part of chrono trigger and to a lesser extent the entirety of 2300 AD. I can't even put my finger on why that part bothers me, I just don't like playing that segment.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »

Is it because it's really depressing?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

Probably because the game hasn't really opened up yet, but immediately afterwards you get magic. All the 2300 dungeons containing some kind of puzzle or gimmick doesn't really help either.

Some belated additions:

The entire Fourth Stratum in the first EO.  This is due mostly to the game's limitations in mapping compared to the newer titles, but it makes the Stratum an absolute nightmare and utterly unfun.

Air's rock in Golden Sun 2.

Kalm in FFVII. I admit this is probably because I think Midgar is the best part of the game, but Kalm is always, always where I lose interest when I attempt to replay the game.

Just about every ghost ship ever. I don't think I've ever found a game I enjoyed a ghost shop segment in.  I'd welcome recommendations, though.

Again, Golden Sun 2 isn't really a great game or anything above mediocre. And if I had to name the most annoying part in any Golden Sun game it would be anytime a text box appeared and heads started bobbin'.

FFVII: Coral Prison. How many screens must a man walk down?

SD3's Ghost Ship is kinda annoying if only because its also part of that Volcano Island business and the boss can be a bitch with the wrong party setup but that's more dependent on your choices rather than anything the game does.

If I remember Grandia's Ghost Ship correctly, its the only time in the plot where Feena isn't portrayed as incompetent or a damsel in distress (though I could be wrong).

Ironically, Fire Emblem 8's Ghost Ship is probably the only really challenging map in the main game. Especially on Hard Mode and without grinding.

Wind Waker's Ghost Ship is only kinda annoying due to being impregnable without the Ghost Ship Chart which only really becomes available after you get the Hookshot at the end of the game (and holds one, of like two, Triumph Forks charts that can only be gotten by the end game).

And speaking of Wind Waker: The Stealth bullshit.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 10:01:19 PM »

Oh man, FF7, that part when cloud gets messed up and ends up in a wheelchair and you lose him and tifa for awhile. I think that's the only part of that game when you don't have him in your party.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: