Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 05:44:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Annoying Moments in otherwise Great Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Annoying Moments in otherwise Great Games  (Read 4072 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »

And speaking of Wind Waker: The Stealth bullshit.

Oh god it took me forever to get past that, and by that point I'd already lost interest in WW. Which is bad because that's the /beginning of the game/.

Also am I the only person that doesn't blow through Midgar in like three hours?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 11:11:25 PM »

You remembered correctly in that Feena is very forward and a strong character in the ghost ship, but I can't stand Grandia's ghost ship in general.  It was actually one of the ships I was thinking of when I made that comment. The problem with ghost ships is that they're almost always filler, and I can only think of a handful of plot related ones. Legend of Dragoon comes to mind, being very important in the grand scheme of the plot, but you don't realize it until later.  It still falls under my banner of ghost ships being annoying because both the encounters and the boss are horrible.

I suppose I do like Breath of Fire 3's, but it's not a ghost ship in a traditional sense.

As for the damsel in distress bit, I wouldn't say Feena is a damsel in distress throughout the entire game, simply that her outspoken attitude from the ghost ship is downplayed more as the story progresses.  She's never quite "weak" or "helpless," but there are a few times where she needs rescuing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:15:41 PM by Cyril » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »

What about the ghost ship in Shadow Hearts?
edit: maybe also the dark rift in skies of arcadia?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:23:41 PM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »

The Dark Rift isn't really a ghost ship, more like a ship graveyard, but I do love it. I love pretty much everything in SoA. For the sake of this thread, I tried to think of something I didn't love, and came up blank.

Honestly, I don't even remember the ghost ship in Shadow Hearts.  It's been ~12 years, I really need to replay it. I pretty much only remember the second half of the game and the music.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »

I found that the original Shadow Hearts didn't differentiate dungeons all that well and the thing where you had to fight to reduce Malice was an interesting idea, but it was really annoying. It was really satisfying to get the true ending though.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 12:07:42 AM »

Mass Effect: Anything with the Mako (seconded)
Demon's Souls - Tower of Latria (Not only it's hard but it's also a maze)
Corpse Party - Chased by ghost sequences

That's what I remember now but give me another day I think I can think of a lot more, of course, restricted to RPGs I do have a lot less to complain, especially if the game needs to be great in the first place.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 01:55:23 AM »

valkyria chronicles. theres a baqttle early on that just completely cockblocked me to the point that i still havent passed it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:26 PM »

there are various types of annoying in rpgs for me..... plot annoying, challenging annoying and mechanically annoying.....

as for plot annoyance....

ffvi: shadow joins group.... i want to level shadow up.... shadow leaves group before I can make enough money to even get his equipment up to date with the rest of my party...

seiken densetsu 3: i love the first half of the game... then i realize the to finish it, I need to literally replay the whole thing in the second half without any story incentive.... anyone who played knows what i mean... for those who didn't.... you literally have to RE-TREK YOUR WAY THROUGH EACH DUNGEON AGAIN AND FIGHT A NEW BOSS WITH NOW PLOT DEVELOPMENT!!!

disgaea 4: your about beat the game, time for post game content!... nah fooled you!!!.... ok for real this time.... ahahahaha got you again!!.... ok, ok,  this time for sure.... AHHHH! No way, you've got more grinding to do and new end boss to wrap your mind around.....

ar tonelico 2: any of the latter levels of the cosmospheres.... i can only take 25-30 minute dialogues about trust and friendship so many times before they get old

challenge and or mechanically annoying.....

Lunar 2: Borgan
FFVI: Phoenix Cave
FFT: a number of different battles....
Persona 2 (currently playing): most of the dungeons I've experienced thus far.... not in terms of enemies or game overs but in figuring out where to go and what to do in a timely fashion
Earthbound: That little sequence of solo-ness-play in Magiccant or whatever the place was called toward the end
Earthbound again.....: Figuring out what to do to beat the final boss
Y's 1: The final boss (took me like 2-3 dozen tries to beat em)
Suikoden 1: The wars.... too chancy... on my 108 star play-through I had to re-load too many times because characters would get offed based purely on the rocks-paper-scissors chance mechanic....
Tales of Graces F: Final light/color puzzle in the desert catacomb dungeon... ROUGH STUFF.....
ni no kuni: derwin's familiar recruiting requests

there is more but those really stand out in my mind for some reason....

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 05:48:16 PM »

Most SMT titles: having to slog through the company screens over and over if you die, which can happen frequently, instead of the game just instantly letting you reload your previous save.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »

Air's rock in Golden Sun 2.

Probably my favorite dungeon of any game, ever.

Each to his own, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:45:59 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:29 PM »

I forget which Kalpa is was but one of them in Nocturne almost drove me to tears with the constant trap doors and so many battles I'd forget which freaking way I was going and where I'd stepped and where I hadn't. Even now I cring thinking about it.

Everything's Eventual
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »

Pretty much any time Zelda has a stealth section.

Not even half an hour after starting Spirit Tracks and it had the obligatory stealth section. I put the game down right there and haven't touched it since. And I know it's probably easy, but I don't care. I'm sick of stealth in Zelda. Even when they aren't hard, they can be stupidly annoying.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 01:14:26 AM »

Pretty much any time Zelda has a stealth section.

Not even half an hour after starting Spirit Tracks and it had the obligatory stealth section. I put the game down right there and haven't touched it since. And I know it's probably easy, but I don't care. I'm sick of stealth in Zelda. Even when they aren't hard, they can be stupidly annoying.

I don't blame ya.
Spirit Tracks had an annoying maze and OHKO method....and unfortunately the only way Zelda has ever been playable properly.
Skyward Swords Silent Realms were annoying and made worse by their redundancy that you're doing the Hyrule "victory lap" while being persecuted.
Oddly, Ocarina of Time's is probably one of the better, less annoying I guess..

Also, Breath of Fire III had a bunch of shitty dungeons that make a really, really cool game a pain in the ass to go back to.  Dungeons + Puzzle Solving is bullshit.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »

Yeah, Ocarina Of Time's is probably the best one. You can see everything going on in each section and stay still as long as you want to see the patterns, and the patterns are really straightforward. I appreciate that.

I think the first time they ever really bothered my was the two Subrosian brothers in Oracle Of Seasons. Those annoying, jittery buttholes. *shakes fist*

(Funny enough, it's my second favorite Zelda, too.)
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »

valkyria chronicles. theres a baqttle early on that just completely cockblocked me to the point that i still havent passed it.

There's a excellent guide on gamefaqs on how to get S rankings on everything (or whatever the highest rank is). You might check it out if you're that stuck. I used it towards the end of the game when I was running out of steam playing it and was worried I wouldn't actually finish the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: