Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319799 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Annoying Moments in otherwise Great Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Annoying Moments in otherwise Great Games  (Read 4137 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 04:42:54 AM »

If you look at the actual art I don't think Feena looks inappropriately aged, she's just scantily clad. They also chose the wrong voice actress for her in both languages when she should've sounded much younger. (I'm pretty sure Feena's English VA was the same as Justin's mom, which was really obvious and distracting even as a kid)

I'm so glad I owned the Sega Saturn version because the English VAs were horrid.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 06:48:56 AM »

Mesh's wall o' text reminded me of a few other annoying aspects of otherwise popular games.

Chrono Cross: S.S. Zebless
Legend of Mana: The gameplay.
Ocarina of Time: Poe hunting, getting Dampé to dig up that piece of heart.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »

Witcher 2-  When it ended.  (I don't mean the ending was bad persay, but that the game is so good I wanted more.)  The good news is there are quite a few choices to make and the choice you make at the end of the 1st Chapter completely changes the second Chapter.  But since it's the second game in a trilogy it ends with lots of unanswered questions.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time-  The slow beginning (the early battles are basically unskippable tutorials).  There's also a couple annoying missions (the flag one comes to mind) but otherwise it's a great game.

Tsugunai: Atonement:   An insanely difficult final boss that I was only able to beat with a Pro Action Replay invincibility cheat. 

Check out the Dragon Fin Soup raffle contest for a chance to win free art prints, plushies, or a deluxe digital copy of the game.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »

Mesh's wall o' text reminded me of a few other annoying aspects of otherwise popular games.

Chrono Cross: S.S. Zebless
Ocarina of Time: Poe hunting, getting Dampé to dig up that piece of heart.

Adding to yours --

C Cross: Both Zelbess visits sucked duck.. I also hate the way the game takes you to new locations.  "Let's go there!" "oh, hokay"
Legend of Mana: I honestly don't get a lot of the additional character building elements... placing places to get materials is odd and terribly explained.  Also, I don't know if it's the script or translation, but I feel whenever I play it I'm reading "Mrewn flandrest clertersal ung prowerdening" -- it looks english, but I have no idea what's being said half the time or why.
i have no ideas whats going on
Ocarina of Time: Dampé as well, but his grave chase.  I usually don't fuck it up, but it's just annoying to deal with.  Numerous parts of the shadow temple (mostly because I think the hover boots suck ass), and I hate trying to sneak through the Gerudo fortress.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »

Let's expand ghost ships to just saying that any moment in an RPG that has you stuck on a boat sucks (IoG's mayan gold ship is a notable exception but then it has the raft bit so...).

The thread's about annoying /moments/ in games. If we just awkwardly were picking RPGs that had broken gameplay we could just be all "90% of everything" and that'd be the end of it.

re: Dice wrt LoM story:

Some stuff in the story is intentionally left open to interpretation, and some of it's because there was some cut content, but really most of the gaps in the story come from huge swaths of it being optional (notably, you can miss most of the World History encyclopedias, and you only need to do like 25% of the quests to finish the game).

I don't think anything in the game or the Ultimania actually explains what the Lord of Jewels is, though.

The customization not being useful in LoM is the biggest part of the gameplay that bugs me. The combat being easy on its own is like, okay, whatever, not a big deal. It's still fairly fun just to wail on baddies and unless you're on hard mode it's not obnoxious. But the easiness renders all the optional gameplay kind of useless. Monster collecting and building golems is nice enough on its own, but the crafting systems don't end up serving any purpose, and there were also glitches with the monster personalities being imparted from food, iirc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:45:21 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

I hate trying to sneak through the Gerudo fortress.

Sneaking? Pull out your bow and murder them all.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

Dark Souls -- Bed of Chaos

i second that, i was stuck at that boss for a long time while trying not to get swept into holes.

anytime there is a timed sequence in a game, (notably assassins creed games) i get super frustrated.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2013, 02:12:21 AM »

The laughing scene in FFX...that makes people think that the game has bad voice acting.

Oh, and DODGE 200 THUNDERS.

Something's off with an egg... ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 03:13:09 AM »

Demon's Souls - Tower of Latria (Not only it's hard but it's also a maze)

But that's the point.

i second that, i was stuck at that boss for a long time while trying not to get swept into holes.

Hit one of the two glowing roots then reload the game, enter through the fog gate and put yourself with a Greatbow to attack with arrows in a corner to hit the other glowing root, after that you jump inside the tree and destroy the heart.

Even with all of this you can still die or get hit so you need to be careful.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2013, 10:13:45 AM »

I hate trying to sneak through the Gerudo fortress.

Sneaking? Pull out your bow and murder them all.

Haha oh believe me, it's the only thing I enjoyed in raiding the fortress.
I just hate those "back to start" parts in games when you make a fuck up.

And Mesh:  Good to know about plot details.  IIRC I think where you set your "map" up at the beginning of the game can affect which quests you can get and can't... which I call a bunch of bull, but, hokay.
And yeah, like you said, unless you jack up the difficulty, a lot of these points feel moot anyways because the game isn't terribly difficult.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »

The laughing scene in FFX...that makes people think that the game has bad voice acting.

Have you heard it in Japanese yet?
"Don't break your speakers. There's no crow, just a Tidus."

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »

IIRC I think where you set your "map" up at the beginning of the game can affect which quests you can get and can't... which I call a bunch of bull, but, hokay.

Oh, that only affects two or maybe three quests (two actually quests and I think one side-event-thingy). Unless you pick a spot that doesn't have enough room for all of the lands.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »

IIRC I think where you set your "map" up at the beginning of the game can affect which quests you can get and can't... which I call a bunch of bull, but, hokay.

Oh, that only affects two or maybe three quests (two actually quests and I think one side-event-thingy). Unless you pick a spot that doesn't have enough room for all of the lands.

Glad to hear that then.
...Never knew you were the Legend of Mana connoisseur.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »

Sidequests in .Hack//GU anyone? I mean stuff like that stupid robot grunty thing. I'm not sure if asking the player to do the exact same thing fifty bajillion times was intentional commentary about the state of MMO's around that time, but it certainly seemed like it.

A couple others:

-Material collecting in Valkyrie Profile 2.
-Desert prison in Final Fantasy 8.
-Spheda in Dark Cloud 2. (A blast at first, and then... GO IN THAT #$%^@ RING YOU STUPID #%^@$!!)

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »

I'm still not 100% sure how you get safely across that beam thing when the prison is sinking.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: