Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332816 Posts in 13637 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Screw announcements, let's just release the game (Atelier Totori Plus)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Screw announcements, let's just release the game (Atelier Totori Plus)  (Read 3462 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »

Well, unconnected entirely isn't exactly true. It's a prequel of sorts.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 05:17:46 PM »

It's really unclear. Atelier Iris 2 is clearly a prequel to 1, but 3 has none of the same characters and the world works very differently.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »

The story is unconnected, but the gameplay is very much improved and very fast. It's somewhat difficult to go back to the previous games. The only connection Grand Phantasm has is that one of the characters is named Iris. This is also the only game in the Atelier Iris trilogy where you control a character actually named Iris.

Thanks for the info! I loved 1 and although I liked 2 I put it down.... every time I look at my atelier shelf I want to try phatasm but felt restricted because I didn't finish 2.... but in truth I feel there is enough atelier on my to plate to leave that be rather then throw it into the backlog agenda......

..... of course with everything I have going now and ayesha having just come out its probably gonna be this time next year before i even consider another classic Atelier title-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »

This has nothing to do with anything but, the name of this thread reminds of Yu-Gi-Oh...
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »

So for those who have played it, is this a good first game for me to experience this series?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:56 PM »

Well, technically it picks up after the events of Rorona.  I say 'technically' only because not much actually happens in Rorona.  The main stories are unrelated, but there are a number of returning characters.  That said, mechanically it's a much better game than Rorona, so it's hard to actually recommend that you start with Rorona unless you're really into the series or something...

So I would say yeah, Totori is a reasonable place to start. Just keep in mind that you'll be missing the occasional reference from the previous game.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »

For anyone who missed it, John had a thing or two to say about Tecmo Koei...

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1187.html

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »

Well, technically it picks up after the events of Rorona.  I say 'technically' only because not much actually happens in Rorona.  The main stories are unrelated, but there are a number of returning characters.  That said, mechanically it's a much better game than Rorona, so it's hard to actually recommend that you start with Rorona unless you're really into the series or something...

So I would say yeah, Totori is a reasonable place to start. Just keep in mind that you'll be missing the occasional reference from the previous game.

We have been here before. Get Klyde to attest.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 01:14:49 AM »

Totori, Meruru, and Ayesha are similar to A1-5 and Rorona in the same way Mana Khemia and Iris are.  They're practically not even in the same series when it comes to more advanced mechanics.  It's the very basic structure that's the same and little more.  Atelier Judie being the exception, that just made everyone mad.

I can't even image how harshly the Salburg subseries would be received if it came west; they make Rorona look easy and lenient.

It's really unclear. Atelier Iris 2 is clearly a prequel to 1, but 3 has none of the same characters and the world works very differently.

I wouldn't say "unclear." The ending is quite clear.  But it's literally only the ending that is connected to Iris 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:18:43 AM by Cyril » Logged
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »

For anyone who missed it, John had a thing or two to say about Tecmo Koei...

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1187.html

Great editorial, hopefully it shakes things up a bit, but I sadly doubt it. Bigger publishers are content to let niche games live or die on their own, it seems. EA did the same thing to Suda 51's games, and even Square's done it with some of their smaller releases.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »

Even with those releases, the publishers actually told the different news sources that the games at least existed.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »

We have been here before. Get Klyde to attest.

For the love of all that is holy, PLAY TOTORI FIRST!!! play the ps2 classics, play meruru, play a handheld entry.... just SAY NO to rorona... I didn't take that bit of wisdom to heart and look at me... I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO MUSTER TO COURAGE TO RETURN TO ARLAND SINCE!!!! And I have all the LE's sitting on my shelf unopened....

This is coming from someone with a tolerance mind you... I am probably one of the few people outside of those that frequent the NISA forums that actually look forward to IF and compile hearts titles..

.. there was just something about Rorona boy..... I can see if you really were into the whole atelier flavor (micromanaging items for synthesis and whatnot) enjoying Rorona.... but as a place to start, abso-freakin'-lutely NOT!!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

NM
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:03:23 PM by daved » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »

For the love of all that is holy, PLAY TOTORI FIRST!!! play the ps2 classics, play meruru, play a handheld entry.... just SAY NO to rorona... I didn't take that bit of wisdom to heart and look at me... I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO MUSTER TO COURAGE TO RETURN TO ARLAND SINCE!!!! And I have all the LE's sitting on my shelf unopened....

This is coming from someone with a tolerance mind you... I am probably one of the few people outside of those that frequent the NISA forums that actually look forward to IF and compile hearts titles..

.. there was just something about Rorona boy..... I can see if you really were into the whole atelier flavor (micromanaging items for synthesis and whatnot) enjoying Rorona.... but as a place to start, abso-freakin'-lutely NOT!!

Well, with Ayesha out that may be the best pick now actually if you want to play current gen Atelier games. Newest, generally highly regarded, entirely new setting, and if you really want more you can tackle Arland chronologically and understand Rorona's place there. Doesn't sound like Ayesha makes Totori or Meruru painful to go back to either, which is good.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »

I started with Meruru and it's one of my favourite games now. The game explains who the characters are well enough (except Totori) as we meet them at the same time as Meruru. Totori isn't that bad either in that case, as she's Meruru's friend and teacher.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: