Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341240 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Who publishes your games this gen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who publishes your games this gen?  (Read 827 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

With the recent SimCity debacle and all the hate EA has been getting lately, along with the hate Activision has been getting for a while for various reasons, I became curious about how many games from these big publishers I actually own.  I knew it wasn't very many, and not because I've been actively boycotting them or anything.  It just that these super-massive publishing juggernauts just can't seem to make the sort of game that I like.  I get it, my tastes are weird.

I decided to quantify exactly how weird my tastes are by cataloging all of my PS3 games by publisher (retail only, not counting expansion packs).  Because why not...

Sony: 7
NISA: 5
Sega: 5
EA: 4
Namco Bandai: 4
Square Enix: 4
Atlus: 3
2K: 2
Bethesda: 2
Valve: 2
Konami: 1

This was just PS3 games, so Sony's lead shouldn't be that surprising.  And obviously things would change with handhelds (Xseed isn't even on this list, but I have a ton of their games on PSP.  I would also expect a big jump for Atlus.).  Even so, I thought this was pretty interesting.  I didn't even realize how many Sega games I owned.  And Namco Bandai benefited massively from me importing...I think only one of those games was actually a US release (that would be Tails of Graces f).  While there are a fair number of EA titles on my shelf (mostly thanks to Bioware...), I really don't own a single Activision game.  Again, I haven't been actively boycotting them, they just don't make any games that I care about...

Maybe I should go back and include handheld titles, it really would change things.  But I'm curious what publishers the rest of you favor.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »

The majority of my games come from Atlus. Off the top of my head, I probably own at least 10 Atlus titles. Maybe more. The rest would be a mix of Nintendo, Square-Enix, Sony, Capcom, SNK and Arc Systems.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »

Off the top of my head: I'm in a similar position as you Kevadu in regards to the bigger publishers, on consoles anyway. ME2 and 3 from EA along with Dead Space 1, Brutal Legend, and Shadows of the Damned which were both through EA Partners and said developers probably aren't involved with EA much now anyway (hell, BL's self published on Steam), I only have I think the first Modern Warfare from Activision, and Ubisoft... Well, I got Dark Messiah for cheap, but that was through an XBL sale, and same for Rayman Origin/PSN. Actually most of my big publisher games are similar on PC: big DD sales, so there I'd look more like I was a regular consumer of their games, when really it's more like "I can get this for $10 or even $5 and it's supposed to be pretty good, so why not?"
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:11:08 AM »

Just sticking to everything from systems less than a decade old except the DS I have:

10 Wii games: 8 from Nintendo 1 from XSeed 1 from Activision and 1 from Ignition
3 Xbox 360 games: 1 from Temco, 1 from Namco, and 1 from Atlus
8 PSP games: 5 from Atlus, 1 from XSeed, and 2 from Squeenix
1 3DS game from Nintendo

Alternatively:

Nintendo: 9
Atlus: 6
XSeed: 2
Squeenix: 2
Namco: 1
Temco: 1
Activision: 1
Ignition: 1

I'll either edit in or post separately the number and publishers of my DS library as it is scattered to hell and gone currently.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

Current gen games... I just got a decent laptop a few months ago so not many of my games are current gen. IDK how current gen the DS is, so I'll just go through my steam list

EA - 3 - Kingdoms of Amalur, Dead Space, Crysis (None of these were DEVELOPED by EA that closesly, which is probably relevant).
Spiderweb Software - 1 - Avernum remake (Not considering Geneforge current gen).
Namco - 1 - Dark Souls
Squenix - 2 - DXHR, The Last Remnant
Valusoft - 1 - Drakensang: TroT
Streum On Studio - 1 - EYE
SCS Software - 1 - Euro Truck Sim 2
Bethesda - 1 - New Vegas
Ankama - 1 - Fly'n
Microsoft - 1 - Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Almost Human Games - 1 - Grimrock
SEGA - 1 - Nights into Dreams HD
Ubisoft - 1 - Rayman Origins
XSeed - 1 - Felghana
Paradox - 2 - CK2 and Vicky 2
Kalypso Media Digital - 1 - Sine Mora
Matrix Games - 3 - Distant Worlds and its expacks.

I may be... having an incorrect assumption of what current gen is.

Last generation was definitely Atlus skewed for me, although Atlus was kind of /the/ publishing house during the late PS2 era and for a lot of DS stuff.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »

I'll bite.  I own 43 PS3 games, 8 Wii games, and 3 XBox 360 games.  Some disclaimers: I'm mostly a PSP/PS2/PS3 gamer, and I've only owned the Wii for a year.  I'm currently borrowing my friend's 360 while he's in Europe for at least 2 years, and I've had that about four months.  He gave me two games for keeps (he didn't want them so I bought him lunch for them) and I bought one I really wanted to play.  Here's the breakdown:

PS3 - 43 games total
Sony - 17 games
EA, Bandai Namco, Atlus, and WB Games - 3 games each
Capcom, Ubisoft, Activision, and NISA - 2 games each
THQ, Konami, 2K Games, Take 2, Square-Enix, and Sega - 1 game each

Wii - 8 games total
Nintendo - 5 games
XSEED - 2 games
Bandai Namco - 1 game

XBox 360 - 3 games
2K Games, Bandai Namco, and Capcom - 1 game each

If I had gone into my PS1, PS2, GameCube, PSP, and DS collections, there would be MUCH more representation from Square-Enix and Capcom.  But I wanted to stick to the spirit of the topic and do those "big three" consoles of this past generation.

I'm not going to count through my PC collection of games because ffffffff.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »

just going off my trophies so ps3 and vita
Sega-iii
Atlus-ii
EA-iiiiiii
whatever company published guardians of middle earth-i
banpresto-i(perhaps this should be under bamco?
capcom-iiii
majesco-i
namco bandai-ii
sony-iiii
no clue who published dungeon defenders
xseed-i
activision-i
snk-i
koeitecmo-iii
nis-i
thq-i
wizards of the coast-i
SE-i

note about EA:3 of those are mass effect and 2 are dragon age and one is nfl blitz that was free with playstation+

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »

360:
deep silver: 1
wb games: 1
epic: 2
ea: 6