Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  what i've always known to be true
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: what i've always known to be true  (Read 1902 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »

http://www.destructoid.com/the-game-industry-doesn-t-want-female-heroes-249067.phtml

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »

I'm trying to imagine a male cyborg ninja technowizard do the reverse building drop into a stealth mode decent and it just doesn't seem to work. Probably because without Major Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell would've been far closer to yet another Blade Runner+Lethal Weapon knock off instead of being more of its own thing.

That said, I'm still not going to give any fucks about Remember Me. But only because of Capcom. And totally not because I am rapidly devolving into a cave troll who can't tolerate anything more than a 1950's era mentality on sex.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »

Well, the people taking those decisions are also the ones that forced Vaan on FFXII. Hence, it might not be malice but stupidity.

Personally, I think they are right on one thing. I would be offended if my main female character was forced, in-game, to kiss a guy. I'd be offended because males are equally badly designed and shallow most of the time. Seriously, who would want to kiss Kratos (wake up dead) or Link (does he even have a personality?) or Nathan Drake (oh god no...)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »

You aren't kissing anyone though, it's the characters story. If the characters story involves a romance, they aren't "forced" into anything. Can you not read a book that is from a woman's perspective, or watch a film where the woman is the protagonist?

There are plenty of games I've played as the male avatar who is lusting for a female character or is trying to rescue them, seduce them, whatever. I'm not offended, I'm not the character.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »

Obviously speaking for myself: But I like female heroes, I think they're grand.  But I also don't mind a male hero with a well-developed story.  The girl also does like a bit of romance in the plot, but, hey....  But I don't care if it means the fella is kissing a lady (which is me, a heterosexual woman, watching my player-avatar kissing another woman) -- it really means nothing to me when I consider who I'm playing as because it's what the story is trying to tell (essentially, I just restated what Mongoosey said but to compensate my gender).

I don't doubt that there is just a bigger market for male players.  And I don't care, it's fine if I have to play as a fella.  ...But I'm more upset when females are just poorly depicted or one-dimensional.  One thing that annoyed me about Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was their depcition of Zelda this time around.  I know she was loved for being bright and chipper, but she was used as story bait for the whole goddamn game because she needed rescuing.  This irks me too because Zelda is a goddamn tank in the Smash Bros games -- an idea never seemed to catch on for future titles (yet...[?])

I admire when games actually try to make a likeable, butt kicking female.  Bayonetta was (certainly her sexuality was a "fun" part of the act), Lightning I guess (I find her kind of bland though), Milla from Xillia gets quite a bit of love (so do a lot of Tales females, actually), I'm certainly loving Lara Croft, and can't wait to play Remember Me.  To this day, Samus is a sort of pioneer hero of mine (yeah, I know that's cheesy :P )

Ultimately, I think it becomes a really sticky situation that becomes a lengthy pain in the ass to argue.  Video game men are usually depicted to be overly or perfectly "masculine" and all the ideas that conjures up (tough, brave, strong, witty, whatever).  Women are  thenfeminine, and there are certain key features that have automatically attached itself to this concept and have for thousands of years.  However!  The problems comes from implications that attaching "women" or "womanly traits" to something that makes things inherently worse than being "manly" that causes a problem (e.g.; saying a certain line of work is "a woman's job", or being "gentle", and even down to being less deserving or generally less impressive).  I do find it somewhat insulting that games with girl leads are thought this way -- even if women are a minority of players, how the hell am I supposed to feel by always playing a guy when they tell me that "no one wants a woman hero"?  I sigh, but I also blame their depiction in games.

But I do think there is an eventual road block you hit with the manly-men/womanly-women argument.  If you make a powerhouse female, she becomes sexualized, if you make her "tough", she shares traits of her masculine counterparts.  I don't doubt there's a tricky path to walk when creating a female character.  If you make her wear bikini armor, you're gonna get slack, if she wears glasses and a turtleneck, no one's interested.  All the same though, not like many men are like their extreme machismo-counterparts.

Anyways.  I hope it doesn't sound like I"m gonna go outside and burn my bra; but I do get upset when there's obvious problems going on with how women are seen.  Certainly devs feeling this is not a step in the right direction.  In fact, it's no step at all, we stay where we are.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 07:03:11 PM »

Huh, I'm the opposite. I place myself as the character and try to see if I was in the game what would be the outcome.

we stay where we are.

A lot of devs have that attitude. Play it safe and don't push the envelope.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:05:43 PM by Annubis » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »

If you don't burn your bra Dicey, I will. My bra, not yours. That would be weird. It is a femminst issue and still something a lot of the gaming community needs to catch up on.

Then we can talk about da gays.

This is the natural order of things.

First da wimmenz. Den da blacks. Den da gays.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:29:17 PM »

haha

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »

If you don't burn your bra Dicey, I will. My bra, not yours. That would be weird. It is a femminst issue and still something a lot of the gaming community needs to catch up on.

Then we can talk about da gays.

This is the natural order of things.

First da wimmenz. Den da blacks. Den da gays.

I think it would be great if more games had bigger options.  A major kudos to Mass Effect for letting you really take the reigns on that.

Also, let's face it.  Lara Croft has a bigger dick than most guys in games.
And if anyone wants to test me and say that I'm a passive lady, I'll take out my metaphoric dick and slap you with it. 

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »

is that a promise?

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »

Hoo boy.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »

im just joshing...  Im a fighter, but not a dick slapper.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »

Im a fighter

That's the tagline for Dead or Alive 5 you know.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »

So according to that article, does this mean that all the proposals I've been getting in FE:Awakening has been nothing more than me trying to marry myself?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »

Im a fighter

That's the tagline for Dead or Alive 5 you know.

I meant like female lawyer fighter:

....or something.  Man, that judge is cracking me up

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: