Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 09:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why would I buy a ps4?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Why would I buy a ps4?  (Read 1544 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »

I'm still not sold on a PS4 or PSN+

As I see it, you don't really want one for any reason. No matter how compelling that reason may be.

In the last few months I've been overwhelmed by the amount of titles that I'm looking forward on PS4.

That's good for you, but I think his reasons are clearly stated as to why they aren't compelling to him. You don't have to talk like he's just being contrarian simply because he doesn't see things the way you do...

As for the PS+ thing, I actually cancelled my subscription long ago and I have yet to have a reason to go back. I don't miss all but 2 of the games I had for free (Gravity Rush and VLR, both of which I bought) and every game they've put up for free since I either don't care about or already own (usually bought physically on Amazon or at Gamestop at a steep discount). I'll admit, I miss the great sales for digital-only games, but on the PS3 at least there are so few I feel I actually need that I didn't get while I had the subscription, while the rest had good sales for regular members as well. The PS4 is getting more compelling sales as time goes on, but if I ever get one, I'll probably go as long as I can without a subscription, because I don't need my games tethered to Sony, especially considering how much money they bleed.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 05:44:30 PM »

I have PS+ and I never play all these free games I get.  I could see it being a really great deal for some folks, but for the most part the free games either don't mesh well with my tastes or they're games I already bought.  I think I may discontinue my subscription when it lapses...

The thing is, PS+ free games broaden my horizans in a manner of speaking. I try and often enjoy a great deal I would overlook simply because they are available and free.

That's all well and good, but I can't even find time to play many games I've paid full retail price for.  I simply do not have the hours in the day to play a bunch of free-ish games that I'm only marginally interested in at best.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »

The thing is, PS+ free games broaden my horizans in a manner of speaking. I try and often enjoy a great deal I would overlook simply because they are available and free.

Just feel like bringing up that I kinda know what he's talking about, in that I went through a period where playing free/rental games helped me try new genres and whatnot that I never would've gotten into otherwise, including RPGs.

However, I hit that phase years ago, and now I'm to the point where I'm content with my tastes and simply don't want to spend time with games I'm not already interested in.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »

I have PS+ and I never play all these free games I get.  I could see it being a really great deal for some folks, but for the most part the free games either don't mesh well with my tastes or they're games I already bought.  I think I may discontinue my subscription when it lapses...

That's all well and good, but I can't even find time to play many games I've paid full retail price for.  I simply do not have the hours in the day to play a bunch of free-ish games that I'm only marginally interested in at best.

Believing I will someday have the time to get through every retail purchase I have and "catch up" is a total fallacy and forces me to take gaming too seriously. I actually catch myself planning out what I'm gonna play long before I finish what I've got going. I don't like this. The random and sporadic nature of a freebie that I know nothing about helps make those retail purchases fun choices to get to and not feel like obligatory chores to me.

I actually have you to thank for nudging me toward trying new things Kevadu. Busting me about "keeping gaming fun" has proven very healthy advice I took to heart. To those ends, I thank you good sir :)

Just feel like bringing up that I kinda know what he's talking about, in that I went through a period where playing free/rental games helped me try new genres and whatnot that I never would've gotten into otherwise, including RPGs.

However, I hit that phase years ago, and now I'm to the point where I'm content with my tastes and simply don't want to spend time with games I'm not already interested in.

I feel that phase will never end for me!! LoL

It is simply a matter of always wonderring whats out there in terms of games and then I come running back to the JRPG. After many moons of this, I appreciate the cycle to be honest.

The other thing I can't ignore is the dual PS3/PS4 releases. I just won't play an even slightly inferrior version of something I want to enjoy if I know the experience COULD be better. If its on both platforms, I would rather wait til I have the PS4 to indulge.

I am not, nor will I ever be this kind of person.  I sat through too many hours of listening to my roommates bitch about pixels and framerate when I was in college to care now.  FFX was awesome on the PS2 and it's still awesome now that there is a remaster.

and I'm still not sold on a PS4 or PSN+

I wasn't trying to come off as a gaming snob. Sorry if it appeared that way, but in truth I suppose in a sense I am so I can't argue. It would sicken you the amount of time and effort I have spent painstickenly configuring the optimum way to enjoy my retro-gaming.  

There are two facets of my life I truly enjoy, my career as an artist and my gaming hobby, and I won't swallow any less than the best in either case.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:40:20 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »

PSN+ 2/10 would not bang. Im not sure that at this point the benefits outweigh the costs for me. Im kind of also a bit set in my ways as far as what genres im willing to dive into so the freebies probably wont do anything other than distract me from the games i already want to get to.

thanks for the perspectives everyone.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »

PSN+ 2/10 would not bang. Im not sure that at this point the benefits outweigh the costs for me. Im kind of also a bit set in my ways as far as what genres im willing to dive into so the freebies probably wont do anything other than distract me from the games i already want to get to.

thanks for the perspectives everyone.
You know, a large number of rpgs have been given rather large discounts on psn+, right?

Also, i'm almost 30 and still willing to jump into all sort of new games for the first time. This isn't 1995, gaming is pretty commonplace and limiting your own experiences is just a detriment to yourself. Expand your mind, sir.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »

I'm still not sold on a PS4 or PSN+

As I see it, you don't really want one for any reason. No matter how compelling that reason may be.

In the last few months I've been overwhelmed by the amount of titles that I'm looking forward on PS4.

That's good for you, but I think his reasons are clearly stated as to why they aren't compelling to him. You don't have to talk like he's just being contrarian simply because he doesn't see things the way you do...

Well, in any case I feel that in the end there will be something specific in the future on PS4 that interests him. Or maybe not. I'm not him to know that after all. :T

PS+ is a double-edged sword if you are the type of person who knows what you enjoy the most.

Still, you can get value out of it if you are in the mood to try something different.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: